Divorce/Pension Question

jeepjk09

My son has worked for UPS for 16 years and has been married 16 years. He's going through a divorce and is being told he has to give the wife 50% of the pension earned up to the date of divorce. Has anyone gone through this? He was also told she would get the money in a lump sum after the divorce because he would have to withdraw it from the fund. Is that even possible? Someone else told us that she would just get a percentage of it when he retires. Anyone have any input on this subject? He works for UPS in Arizona. Thanks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son has worked for UPS for 16 years and has been married 16 years. He's going through a divorce and is being told he has to give the wife 50% of the pension earned up to the date of divorce. Has anyone gone through this? He was also told she would get the money in a lump sum after the divorce because he would have to withdraw it from the fund. Is that even possible? Someone else told us that she would just get a percentage of it when he retires. Anyone have any input on this subject? He works for UPS in Arizona. Thanks

It sounds as though he may be confusing his pension with his 401k. Yes, she will get half of his 401k as of the date of the divorce but, no, she does not get half of his pension. She is entitled to 2% of his pension for each of the years of their marriage while he was employed at UPS which means she will get 32% of his pension when he retires. I went through a similar situation--my ex got 1/2 of my 401k when the ink was dry on the divorce decree and will get 16% of my pension. The money she receives from the pension will not be in a lump sum.

The above assumes that she will not be receiving a pension from her job. If this is not the case then the lawyers will work out an equitable settlement in regard to both of their pensions.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

It depends on the pension provider and what the state laws are in which the divorce was filed.
I know people in GA, AL, OH, NC and now NY and they all were a little different.
He needs to get a lawyer and protect himself.

kingOFchester

Divorce is ugly. Lawyers are the only winners.

A friend was going thru a divorce. Hearings were in the city about 45 minutes from his home. After one of the hearings he goes to his friends condo then to a nice resturaunt in the city. Walks in, there is his lawyer and his ex's lawyer having a fine meal. Pissed him off to know end.....at the point he had already paid his lawyer over 20g's

jeepjk09

Thanks for the information. bigmistake - that's funny!

Do they have a 401K and a pension? Or are you talking about a private 401K - not through UPS.

hypocrisy

Banned
Upstate is not in the Western Conference of Teamster pension plan, nor in AZ, so his information is not particularly relevant.

Yes, she is entitled to 50% of the pension for the years worked during which they were married. I'm assuming he is a bargaining unit employee and not management. If so, he is automatically having contributions made to the Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Fund. Arizona, like California and many other States, is a 'Community Property' state. It is not paid in a lump sum but as a portion of benefits after your son retires (so, the longer he delays retirement the longer it takes for her to get her money. The amount will never change, a calculation called a "quadro" is performed to calculate what the amount will be and the check is disbursed without him ever seeing where it goes. Often, this can be offset by any retirement/pension/401k/IRA accounts she has in her name, or used as a bargaining chip to encourage a lump sum payment now. Personally, I would pay out a disproportionate amount from his 401k, if he has one, or quit claim the marital home rather than paying it from the pension. If, for example, your son retires at age 50 and lives to be 85, if she received $1000/mo in pension payments that would be $420,000. The longer he delays retirement, the less she will receive overall. The WCT is the largest and most profitable pension plan in the Country so it represents quite a tempting cherry for his ex. With 16 years in, the $1000/mo is probably a conservative estimate should he make it to his PEER age.)

If he is in Management, he will also have a pension plan but I am not familiar with the details.

It's important to note that she is also responsible for half the marital debt.

She would also be entitled to 50% of the 401k contributions and earnings during the marriage as well as half of any marital assets such as a house, investment property, etc.

Luckily you are in Arizona and not California, as she would be entitled to lifetime alimony after 10 years of marriage (assuming he is the larger wage earner).

If is a Teamster, he is entitled to use the legal benefit as is his wife. He should immediately schedule a consultation to prevent her from exercising this option. However, I would not use the Teamster contracted attorney if the divorce is not a simple one, rather, use the Teamster attorney for the initial filing and consent decree, then find a better attorney (expect to pay $5000-$10,000) for the remainder. This is not because the Teamster contracted attorneys are substandard, it's because for what they are paid they are not particularly aggressive. Any issues with kids, property or investments, tax issues, or other kinks should definitely seek aggressive counsel.

klein

Für Meno :)
Crowbar, I totally agree with you, that's how it's done up north, too (50-50%).

Usually, like you said as a bargaining tool, and most emn simply give the house to their ex spouse to keep their pension for themselves.
Furniture, and perhaps a new car, too.

Divorces are rough and tough, esspecially when children are involved, and the soon to be ex-partner had no pension income on her own.
Basically, everything accumulated in those 16 years would be added up, subtract any debts, and the networth is divided 50/50 (including any pensions earned).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The 2% for every year of marriage while employed at UPS is a New York law, not a pension rule. We have the option here of either using the Teamster approved lawyer or we receive a set amount from the union if we decide to use our own lawyer to help offset the cost--I think it is $1,000 which, as well all know, will not buy much legal representation. I did not get in to division of assets, child support or other issues as the OP did not ask about any of these.

50% of the pension for the years worked at UPS during the marriage? Wow.

brownIEman

Good post Crowbar, good advice.

Let me add one more thing that many lawyers may not mention but could be a bargaining chip. Spousal support, or alimony. Arizona's laws differ from California's in this regard. If for no other reason than to use as a bargaining chip, you may want to have your son look into whether or not he might be able to get spousal maint. from his soon to be ex. AZ statute is as follows:
A.R.S. �25-319:

A. In a proceeding for dissolution of marriage or legal separation, or a proceeding for maintenance following dissolution of the marriage by a court that lacked personal jurisdiction over the absent spouse, the court may grant a maintenance order for either spouse for any of the following reasons if it finds that the spouse seeking maintenance:
  • 1. Lacks sufficient property, including property apportioned to the spouse, to provide for that spouse's reasonable needs.

2. Is unable to be self-sufficient through appropriate employment or is the custodian of a child whose age or condition is such that the custodian should not be required to seek employment outside the home or lacks earning ability in the labor market adequate to be self-sufficient.

3. Contributed to the educational opportunities of the other spouse.

4. Had a marriage of long duration and is of an age that may preclude the possibility of gaining employment adequate to be self-sufficient.

Look at option 3. If your son supported his wife in going to school, he could be due spousal maintenance even if he make the lions share of the money. I have seen this used as a bargaining chip, dropped in exchange for other considerations.

PhatAzz

I think it all depends on the state law where the divorce was granted. My ex got my entire 401K through a"QuaDRO". Not too much money at the time of the divorce. She had to pay include the 401K into her wages for that year and pay taxes on it too. She will not get any portion of my pension when I retire. She already got it with the 401K

Marriage is Grand Divorce is 50 Grand

jeepjk09

Thanks for all the advice. There is a ton of debt and she has a 401K with about $17,000 in it. If they subtract the debt from her pension benefit she will net zero.

jeepjk09

Good post Crowbar, good advice.

Let me add one more thing that many lawyers may not mention but could be a bargaining chip. Spousal support, or alimony. Arizona's laws differ from California's in this regard. If for no other reason than to use as a bargaining chip, you may want to have your son look into whether or not he might be able to get spousal maint. from his soon to be ex. AZ statute is as follows:

Look at option 3. If your son supported his wife in going to school, he could be due spousal maintenance even if he make the lions share of the money. I have seen this used as a bargaining chip, dropped in exchange for other considerations.

She has a decent job, but he makes about 30% more.

Indecisi0n

It sounds as though he may be confusing his pension with his 401k. Yes, she will get half of his 401k as of the date of the divorce but, no, she does not get half of his pension. She is entitled to 2% of his pension for each of the years of their marriage while he was employed at UPS which means she will get 32% of his pension when he retires. I went through a similar situation--my ex got 1/2 of my 401k when the ink was dry on the divorce decree and will get 16% of my pension. The money she receives from the pension will not be in a lump sum.

The above assumes that she will not be receiving a pension from her job. If this is not the case then the lawyers will work out an equitable settlement in regard to both of their pensions.

That just seems insane !!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thanks for all the advice. There is a ton of debt and she has a 401K with about $17,000 in it. If they subtract the debt from her pension benefit she will net zero.

The debt is marital debt and will be split 50/50 unless the lawyers are able to work out a deal.

Your son's lawyer will advise him on the best course of action.