Do center manager's have a soul?

over9five

Staff member
You missed where this happened at the hospital? Or that was my interpetation, anyway.
Lol, actually I was wondering how she got to the next mornings PCM....!

No, but really, How do you suppose she came to hate the center manager??? Somebody had to be crying in front of her about how "that man" overloaded me, almost killed me, etc etc.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Lol, actually I was wondering how she got to the next mornings PCM....!

No, but really, How do you suppose she came to hate the center manager??? Somebody had to be crying in front of her about how "that man" overloaded me, almost killed me, etc etc.
I don't know how you can arrive at that without being a little judgmental. It's possible the driver said something there. There are many scenarios. It's possible the girl overheard conversations of the wife and husband talking, venting? Or wife said something on the car ride over?

Kids will use the word "hate" and "love" and do not fully understand it's power, so I would not take offense.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
"hey pumpkin, when "center manager" arrives in a few minutes, tear him a new ****, then lay the guilt down real thick with plenty of tears!"

nah

oldupsman

In my 32 year package car career I worked for a countless number of center manager's and on car sups. And in that span I only had one I truly wished would drop dead.
The rest were just people trying to make a living like the rest of us. Did I butt heads with more than one? Sure. Did I always agree with their decisions.
Of course not. But I never had one deny me food and water over the course of the day. Except the one. He tried. But I took my lunch anyway.
I'm a great believer in that UPS abuses only those who allow themselves to be abused.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
We had a driver suffer from heat exaustion this week. He went to the hospital, got his salt fluids and what not. Our center manager made his obligitory appearance in which the drivers wife chewed him out and the drivers 10 year old daughter told him that he hated him. I stated that no matter how much of a corporate kiss ass you are this had to touch you deep down at least a little bit?

discuss.

This does touch me a bit. It tells me that mom and dad are involving their 10 year old daughter in issues that she shouldn't be involved in. Shouldn't parents protect their kids from some issues? 10 seems a little young to be taking on dad's stress. If the mom wanted to lay into the manger that's fine, but take it out to the hall. If mom and dad are at home and he wants to tell her all the reasons he hates his boss and why then take it to another room. Poor girl.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In my 32 year package car career I worked for a countless number of center manager's and on car sups. And in that span I only had one I truly wished would drop dead.
The rest were just people trying to make a living like the rest of us. Did I butt heads with more than one? Sure. Did I always agree with their decisions.
Of course not. But I never had one deny me food and water over the course of the day. Except the one. He tried. But I took my lunch anyway.
I'm a great believer in that UPS abuses only those who allow themselves to be abused.

Words of wisdom.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This does touch me a bit. It tells me that mom and dad are involving their 10 year old daughter in issues that she shouldn't be involved in. Shouldn't parents protect their kids from some issues? 10 seems a little young to be taking on dad's stress. If the mom wanted to lay into the manger that's fine, but take it out to the hall. If mom and dad are at home and he wants to tell her all the reasons he hates his boss and why then take it to another room. Poor girl.

Basically, they are teaching their daughter to be a victim of her circumstances.
That is a crappy way to go through life.

Re-Raise

My daughters would be concerned for my health, but I would not want them to try to blame the center manager for my situation.

They know I am fully capable of speaking for myself. If there was something to be said, I would be the one saying it.

I also have tried to teach my daughters to speak up for themselves and take responsibility for their decisions. No one can make you do something, whether it is your fiends, your boyfriend or even your boss.

It sucks that UPS makes more money by pushing their drivers to the limits , but ultimately my health is my responsibility and I will work at a safe pace

rod

Retired 22 years
Good Lord----the last I observed 10 year old kids hate everything----except maybe ice cream and Sponge Bob. I would say maybe a center manager would like to have a soul but the "puppet master" won't allow it.

upsman68

This reminds of the scene from Jerry Maguire where the lineman, who had just suffered yet another concussion, his wife, son and agent (JM) are in the hospital. JM is trying to get the lineman cleared to play so that he can collect his signing bonus and JM can collect his commission. The son summed up his feelings about the agent quite nicely and, yes, it did have an affect on the agent.

I would think that having a driver's child tell you that they hate you would have an affect on any supervisor.

Actually the lineman was a hockey player for the Blackhawks. I know you are a big believer of getting the facts straight

upsman68

My facts are straight---you may want to revisit yours.

This is from the script Read carefully

INT. HOSPITAL BEDROOM -- NIGHTHockey Player STEVE REMO, 33, is a big man in a small bed.He is in traction, with concussion. DOCTOR stands nearby,shoots Jerry a look of concern. Family is nearby. DOCTOR Do you know your name? STEVE REMO I uh... wait. Wait, here it comes. I have it. My name is Steve Remo. I play for the Blackhawks. (now on a roll) You are my son. This pretty lady is my wife. And you are...Jerry nods encouragingly, presents his best "familiar" face. STEVE REMO (continuing) My agent! JERRY Yes! STEVE REMO And I gotta play this weekend, Doc. If I play in 65% of the games, I make my bonus.EXT. HOSPITAL HALLWAY -- NIGHTRemo's 14 year-old SON (JESSE) confronts Jerry outside thehospital room. He's a hulking kid, a Pop Warner footballplayer himself. His voice is in the process of changing._ 6. SON This is his fourth concussion. Shouldn't somebody get him to stop?As he talks, Jerry's cellular phone rings in his bag. JERRY (glib, easy) Come on -- it'd take a tank to stop your dad. It would take all five Super Trooper VR Warriors, right?The kid stares at Maguire. It feels as if the kid is peeringinto his soul... and all he sees is trash. SON **** you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are assuming facts not in evidence. Are you sure they are referring to the Chicago Blackhawks? Read the script a little more closely---"And I gotta play this weekend, Doc"---Steve Remo is a football player.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You are assuming facts not in evidence. Are you sure they are referring to the Chicago Blackhawks? Read the script a little more closely---"And I gotta play this weekend, Doc"---Steve Remo is a football player.

They play NHL on the weekends also. All the major sports teams in the movie are actual sports teams. Cuba Gooding Jr's character plays for the Arizona Cardinals. SO Blackhawks is the NHL Chicago team.