Do Feeders Not Have Same Rules As Package

mrbrownstone

Almost every feeder driver I see has gps mounted on their windshield, doesn't use their horn when backing up in the yard and never allows a car length of space between their vehicle and the vehicle ahead when stopped in traffic. I have also observed them following more closely to a car ahead than what I do and have been taught in a package car.

Are they just not held to as strict standards as us package drivers?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Who are you kidding?

We have to use safe driving methods moreso than a package driver. The physics of the job are not ONE in the SAME.

We cant stop like a package car, we cant turn like a package car, we cant back like a package car and we cant accelerate like a package car.

Stopping at freeways speeds is most critical, so keeping a long deep pocket between us and the car in front is essential to safety.

Now, we dont have the stupid standards that are required in package.. We are not racing from stop to stop to keep some sup off our backs. We are not cutting corners on the road to get to our next destination. We dont have sups in our face the next day asking why we took X amount of time at a stop.

And lastly, we dont save miles by any human stretch of the imagination.

While UPS is pushing package drivers to save miles, in feeder, we are wasting hundreds of miles doing nothing at times. For instance, they may send me 18 miles one way to do a pickup, once I get there, I find out someone has already covered it, I call in and they say, "just T.O. Back".

Thats 36 miles wasted.

That wipes out a 36 man package center if everyone saved one mile a day.

This happens everyday to dozens of feeder drivers.

You may have seen a couple of exceptions to the rules, but on the whole, feeder drivers realize the responsibility of handling an 80,000 pound truck.

TOS.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Feeder drivers (for the most part) have to learn package car safety rules and feeder safety rules. Feeder rules trump package rules when you're in feeders. Strict standards? There were 25 package drivers in my feeder class. Only 4 were there at graduation.

mrbrownstone

I guess my questions were incorrectly phrased and or not read correctly.

In my state it is technically illegal to have anything stuck or mounted to your windshield. While, I do have a suction cup mount for my cell phone in my personal vehicle and have never been stopped for it, I'm surprised feeder drivers in my hub get away with it since it is technically illegal. Now, from what I understand it is considered a secondary offense so police won't stop you for this alone but can cite you for it if pulled over for something else.

If I mounted my phone to my package car windshield for gps purposes which would be great for Sat Air, I would probably be written up for violating UPS's distracted driving policy.

Also to rephrase what I had previously mentioned, in the large hub that I work for, I am constantly observing other UPS drivers on the road and most of the feeders I see stop very close behind other vehicles at intersections, much closer than a car length.

Lastly, whenever I back in the yard in my package car I beep my horn as taught. In my daily observations this isn't the case for feeders, some do, most don't and I think the jockeys almost never.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
There are bad apples everywhere. Most feeder drivers work safe but every night there are at least 2 - 3 that blow by me on the freeway going well over the speed limit. It blows my mind really, because there is no pressure for production and no bonus to make. Some guys just don't get it.

Sparkey86

If a feeder driver is not blowing the horn before, and during the back then he needs a talking to for he is taking a huge risk. He has no back up lights on the trailer or a monitor to watch. As for the GPS, I use one. More so because it calculates arrival time to destination. Of course there are times when you have to detour and a gps is quite handy. Contrary to what you have observed, feeders are under as much driving scrutiny as far as methods and seeing habits as package. Sorry it doesn't appear that way. However I will safely bet that a feeder could make the same complaint against package over feeder Pre trip procedure as compared to package. You won't catch a feeder blowing off the Pre trip. Can I hear an amen?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I guess my questions were incorrectly phrased and or not read correctly.

In my state it is technically illegal to have anything stuck or mounted to your windshield. While, I do have a suction cup mount for my cell phone in my personal vehicle and have never been stopped for it, I'm surprised feeder drivers in my hub get away with it since it is technically illegal. Now, from what I understand it is considered a secondary offense so police won't stop you for this alone but can cite you for it if pulled over for something else.

If I mounted my phone to my package car windshield for gps purposes which would be great for Sat Air, I would probably be written up for violating UPS's distracted driving policy.

Also to rephrase what I had previously mentioned, in the large hub that I work for, I am constantly observing other UPS drivers on the road and most of the feeders I see stop very close behind other vehicles at intersections, much closer than a car length.

Lastly, whenever I back in the yard in my package car I beep my horn as taught. In my daily observations this isn't the case for feeders, some do, most don't and I think the jockeys almost never.
Feeder drivers are supposed to follow all the DOK guidelines.

Leave 1 car length when stopped in traffic

Sound horn before and during backing

6 to 8 second following distance 30 mph and over

etc, etc, etc

The ones you see don't care and would probably have a talking to by management if they were observed.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
After 38 years of driving a UPS vehicle, I had a habit of honking every time I backed. Hell, I've even caught myself honking when I back my personal vehicle. As a feeder driver, you will only get stuck too close behind a vehicle to drive around once to learn your lesson. I ran CPU's in A large city for most of my feeder career in a lot of traffic on streets and freeways. Been stuck behind a stalled car more times than I can count on my fingers. Always left a big cushion. It is aggravating to have 4 wheelers take advantage of that cushion and dart in front of you, but it is what it is.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Almost every feeder driver I see has gps mounted on their windshield, doesn't use their horn when backing up in the yard and never allows a car length of space between their vehicle and the vehicle ahead when stopped in traffic. I have also observed them following more closely to a car ahead than what I do and have been taught in a package car.

I have never seen a feeder driver use a dash mounted GPS or window mounted. I work at a large hub too and I actually think we work at the same hub. You are pretty much running the same thing every day I don't see why they would need them.

Last edited:

MaceFremonti

There are bad apples everywhere. Most feeder drivers work safe but every night there are at least 2 - 3 that blow by me on the freeway going well over the speed limit. It blows my mind really, because there is no pressure for production and no bonus to make. Some guys just don't get it.

That's funny because I usually go by 2 - 3 everyday that are going under the speed limit.....WAY under the speed limit. :rolleyes:

Catatonic

Nine Lives

They're quasi-management but not quite like management.
Management is Double Standard while Feeder is One and a half Standard.
Deal with it.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Some of the routes get paid by the mile, so it's "HAMMER DOWN GOOD BUDDY"!