Do Feeders Not Have Same Rules As Package

govols019

You smell that?
I would think the feeder drivers would know where they're going. Why the need for a GPS?

I use mine for the speedometer on the GPS. The speedometer on some of our tractors are a little off and I don't want a speeding ticket. It's also easier to glance at the GPS for my speed rather than look down at the speedometer.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
GPS devices are used NOT only for directions but for safety.

In heavy fog, you can use a GPS device to help navigate in fog. You can see how the road bends or turns and you dont have to stree starting at the fog line in the dark.

Using the GPS can really eliminate stress in heavy fog.

In the dark same principle.

You can see the nature of the travel path, watch for sharp turns and traffic.

Not everyone uses GPS for directions.

TOS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johney

GPS devices are used NOT only for directions but for safety.

In heavy fog, you can use a GPS device to help navigate in fog. You can see how the road bends or turns and you dont have to stree starting at the fog line in the dark.

Using the GPS can really eliminate stress in heavy fog.

In the dark same principle.

You can see the nature of the travel path, watch for sharp turns and traffic.

Not everyone uses GPS for directions.

TOS.
It's GPS not Radar

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
fixed it for you

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1423276706.522681.jpg

MaceFremonti

Sleepers aren't the only ones that get mileage pay. There are mileage jobs. Over 500 miles and only 1 turn.

The slow ones get paid by the hour, the fast ones get paid by the mile.

We have a bunch of 500+ mile runs that are point meets that get paid by the hour. I inquired about having them become mileage runs but was told it can't happen because when they were put in they were setup as hourly pay and are not allowed to be changed.

A run has to start as mileage, it can't be converted.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It's GPS not Radar
Was on a State Route for the first time. Never been on it before. It was snowing pretty good. No tire tracks. The road seemed like it was curving to the right up ahead as I got close to a small town.

The road also seemed to go straight. Could not tell. Glanced at my GPS and it showed the road curving to the right. My eyes told me that that was not the way to go, but I followed the GPS and took the curve to the right.

GPS saved me from a possible crash, or at least from having to break a set down to get them out of the pickle that I was almost in.

Johney

Was on a State Route for the first time. Never been on it before. It was snowing pretty good. No tire tracks. The road seemed like it was curving to the right up ahead as I got close to a small town.

The road also seemed to go straight. Could not tell. Glanced at my GPS and it showed the road curving to the right. My eyes told me that that was not the way to go, but I followed the GPS and took the curve to the right.

GPS saved me from a possible crash, or at least from having to break a set down to get them out of the pickle that I was almost in.
I guess I can see using it for that(never had that luxury to drive in snow), but looking at a GPS screen while driving in thick fog doesn't sound like a smart thing to do. I have driven in thick fog and I'm sorry but my eyes were glue to the windshield.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We have a bunch of 500+ mile runs that are point meets that get paid by the hour. I inquired about having them become mileage runs but was told it can't happen because when they were put in they were setup as hourly pay and are not allowed to be changed.

A run has to start as mileage, it can't be converted.
That's what I understand also. About 11 years ago, UPS pulled a bunch of trailers off the train to keep up with FedEx delivery time.

A lot of these became mileage runs. They were new runs so they could make them mileage.

root

Calm down, i'll handle it
Sleepers get mileage pay, so they're the only ones that are going to rock the hammer lane.

I never want to be hammered down on by a good buddy, myself :o

I have a GPS, which if I'm going on a long run I'll take in case there are closed roads and I need to take a safe detour. I mount that SOB right on the dash. I also have lots of electrical crap that I use/charge while on the road. Delivery would never have gone for it, but feeders don't really care/

The speed limit is exactly that, the LIMIT. I realize no one views it as such, but that's what it is. There's nothing wrong with doing 53 in a 55.

If the speed limit is 65, I'll give them 61 or 62. If I've got doubles, down to 58, raining, well then we drop down to 54.

Safety is #1 in feeders. EVERYTHING else can take a number

Oh I hate getting hammered down on I want to get there SAFELY!

That's the way I wanna be taught IF I ever get to feeders.... but that is my goal....I figure If I have driven almost everything else I can give this a shot...

GameCockFan

I always go a few mph under the actual limit. About 5 years ago I got hit head-on by a drunk driver going the wrong direction on the interstate. He had driven about 3-4 miles against traffic. Crested a hill and, it's only a two lanes in each direction seperated by a cable barrier, he went between me and a 53ft trailer passing me on the left. What was the first thing UPS wanted to know, how fast were you going, what's the posted limit, when did you see him. Anything to throw me under the bus if somehow the guy sued. UPS always covers their ass. Now I always cover mine. They already knew the answer to the first two questions before they ever asked.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
There is no way that using a GP in the fog eliminate stress.... hell I am always a bit more on guard driving in the fog just because you never know whats coming in front of you...

Ya, Im sure you feel alot safer in the blind in heavy fog not knowing which way the road is going to bend or turn. Having a jump on the road/terrain in dense fog I guess, in your opinion wouldnt be of any help to a driver.

The whole point of our jobs is to eliminate risk or manage risk.

By knowing the curvature of the road ahead in dense fog reduces the "stress" of that aspect of driving in fog. By eliminating one element of stress while driving through heavy fog, a driver has more time to concentrate on other hazards involved in Dense fog.

Those of us who have actually driven a tractor in heavy fog understand what I am talking about. Those of you just trying to chime in without the hours behind the wheel in dense fog just want to weigh in on something you dont truly understand.

TOS.