Do Feeders Not Have Same Rules As Package

raceanoncr

LOL.,.,. oh great, another non sleeper driver giving advice.

TOS.
crying.png

Johney

TOS.
Driving in fog at night is the same whether you are a sleeper team or not what does that have to do with anything? You think cause you're on a sleeper team you're above everyone?

Of course you do.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Driving in fog at night is the same whether you are a sleeper team or not what does that have to do with anything? You think cause you're on a sleeper team you're above everyone?

Of course you do.

Look, you are not a sleeper driver. You have no business chiming in on a subject that requires actual on duty hours and experience to discuss. Driving in FOG in a tractor is NOTHING like driving in fog in a passenger car.

There is an entire different science going on.

TOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pickup

If I remember correctly, it wasn't too shortly after TOS moved into the feeder department, that he was forced to be on a sleeper team and started doing that in the winter time. Instead of being in southern California in nicer weather he was now in states and on roads he didn't know too well , with weather he wasn't accustomed to , and he was driving equipment with skills that were not as polished as the skills of us longer time tractor trailer drivers are.

When I started tractor trailer driving before UPS, I was driving cross country and GPS was not available for the common man. I actually think it is a good idea to be using it , if you so choose, for roads you are not familiar with. As he said, you might have a better idea of where you are than without it. So kudos to you, TOS, giving yourself an extra tool.

This post doesn't mean I am endorsing the tone of some of his posts in this thread. I am just agreeing with him in regards to usage of the GPS, which I never used and probably never will.

bluehdmc

The only problem with GPS seems to be that most of the time when a trucker ends up on a road with low bridges or something like that they usually say, "The GPS told me to go this way."

P

pickup

In regards to sleeper team
The only problem with GPS seems to be that most of the time when a trucker ends up on a road with low bridges or something like that they usually say, "The GPS told me to go this way."

True, but in the case of TOS , he is mostly using it on the Interstates and just a few local roads that match his directions. However when you are using on local streets for CPUS for example, that is when GPS can get you in trouble if you rely on it exclusively.

P

pickup

In regards to sleeper team

True, but in the case of TOS , he is mostly using it on the Interstates and just a few local roads that match his written directions. However when you are using on local streets for CPUS for example, that is when GPS can get you in trouble if you rely on it exclusively.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm glad someone finally mentioned this. In my hometown there is an industrial park that GPS shows you can get to by driving through a trailer park, even though there is a Dead End sign at the park entrance; unfortunately, there is a locked gate that does not allow this. At least once a week a semi will pull in there only to have to make a 27 point turn to get out of there.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Hey Mr. I'm smarter than a 3rd grader. I've driven tractors in the fog at night which again let me get this through to your 3rd grade IQ. Sleeper team at night in the fog is no different to regular feeder at night in fog. You really are ignorant.

Oh, come on....those extra ~10 feet BEHIND a driver makes them see AHEAD any better. LOL

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

TOS.

I really don't care or not if you think I'm giving advice. It sounds like you are under pressure to keep running regardless of the circumstances. I know sleeper guys like that. Saying they won't drive with a driver who stops to take piss breaks, and runs hammer down no matter what. Rain is rain is snow is snow is fog is fog no matter what equipment you are driving in. Hell, keep driving on roads you can't see, even with GPS, if you want.

Sleeper drivers get fired the same way hourly and mileage drivers do. I'll always protect my job before any load I'm carrying. Do what you want. Sounds like you have all of the answers. Good luck with that.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If I remember correctly, it wasn't too shortly after TOS moved into the feeder department, that he was forced to be on a sleeper team and started doing that in the winter time. Instead of being in southern California in nicer weather he was now in states and on roads he didn't know too well , with weather he wasn't accustomed to , and he was driving equipment with skills that were not as polished as the skills of us longer time tractor trailer drivers are.

When I started tractor trailer driving before UPS, I was driving cross country and GPS was not available for the common man. I actually think it is a good idea to be using it , if you so choose, for roads you are not familiar with. As he said, you might have a better idea of where you are than without it. So kudos to you, TOS, giving yourself an extra tool.

This post doesn't mean I am endorsing the tone of some of his posts in this thread. I am just agreeing with him in regards to usage of the GPS, which I never used and probably never will.

Exactly.

The GPS tip was given to me by a sleeper veteran who also traveled the same highways I have to travel. The fog can get real thick and soupy at night, and on the highway, you can't see the road ahead bending or turning to either side until the last possible moment.

By using the GPS, you can plan ahead for curves and such that you cannot anticipate being in the middle of the night in dense fog.

For those that think you can just stop the tractor and wait for the fog to lift, well, you better get into feeder to understand the rules.

CMG/ICC makes all the calls, The drivers have NO AUTHORITY to stop the Tractor on their own without clearing it with them first. If they Approve it, you can stop, in all cases, they insist you keep moving only advising you to slow down and be careful.

Relay points cannot be missed. If you stop the tractor for hours waiting for fog to lift, you will miss your relay and CMG will then redirect you to the final destination.

This happens all the time. A team scheduled for mesquite tx with a florida long box was late to T.A. in Texas because of bad weather. That team was redirected to florida extending the route over 5000 miles and taking all 7 days. The entire "downtime" went unpaid.

Thats the next point. If CMG/ICC doesn't approve stopping the tractor, that time will all go unpaid.

Making the scheduled times are critical as the loads have to be sorted and processed on the proper sort. If you are taking a twilight box scheduled for thursday night and you show up at sunrise on friday morning, then the entire trailer is late. If you are late because you thought you were "captain of the ship" and went against CMG/ICC you could face disciplinary action upon your return.

While its true that you can stop the tractor if "you" feel unsafe, but that doesn' put you in the right. You will be subject to talks after that decision.

Two weeks ago, i traveled to Santa Rosa New Mexico. Road was clear all the way to flagstaff az, once over the hill and entering Grants, it began snowing to white out conditions. Then as we traveled closer to Gallop NM, we had a combination fog, snow and ice. There were wrecks all over the place, tractors in the ditches, passenger cars spun out. We called CMG and we were told to keep moving. At that point, we had no choice.

Conditions were such, that even if we did stop, with all the ice, we would have never regained traction and moved a set of doubles off the shoulder.

On my shift, I started at 530pm pst and stopped at 830am pst. Well over the allowed hours, but conditions were such that there were no cleared off ramps, and the shoulder covered in unplowed snow near 2 feet. Once you get to albuqueque, its an all uphill climb to Santa Rosa, and if you think you can stop a tractor in the hills then you don't know anything about tractor trailers in the snow.

Even though we traveled at less than 30 miles per hour for the last 97 miles of my leg, we still managed to meet our relay drivers who were waiting from Oklahoma. Luckily, they were also delayed by record snow on that night from Oklahoma to New Mexico.

Contrary to what has been said on this thread, you don't have the authority to stop the tractor without permission. There is no "stopping to let the fog lift" in sleeper.

TOS.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Exactly.

The GPS tip was given to me by a sleeper veteran who also traveled the same highways I have to travel. The fog can get real thick and soupy at night, and on the highway, you can't see the road ahead bending or turning to either side until the last possible moment.

By using the GPS, you can plan ahead for curves and such that you cannot anticipate being in the middle of the night in dense fog.

For those that think you can just stop the tractor and wait for the fog to lift, well, you better get into feeder to understand the rules.

CMG/ICC makes all the calls, The drivers have NO AUTHORITY to stop the Tractor on their own without clearing it with them first. If they Approve it, you can stop, in all cases, they insist you keep moving only advising you to slow down and be careful.

Relay points cannot be missed. If you stop the tractor for hours waiting for fog to lift, you will miss your relay and CMG will then redirect you to the final destination.

This happens all the time. A team scheduled for mesquite tx with a florida long box was late to T.A. in Texas because of bad weather. That team was redirected to florida extending the route over 5000 miles and taking all 7 days. The entire "downtime" went unpaid.

Thats the next point. If CMG/ICC doesn't approve stopping the tractor, that time will all go unpaid.

Making the scheduled times are critical as the loads have to be sorted and processed on the proper sort. If you are taking a twilight box scheduled for thursday night and you show up at sunrise on friday morning, then the entire trailer is late. If you are late because you thought you were "captain of the ship" and went against CMG/ICC you could face disciplinary action upon your return.

While its true that you can stop the tractor if "you" feel unsafe, but that doesn' put you in the right. You will be subject to talks after that decision.

Two weeks ago, i traveled to Santa Rosa New Mexico. Road was clear all the way to flagstaff az, once over the hill and entering Grants, it began snowing to white out conditions. Then as we traveled closer to Gallop NM, we had a combination fog, snow and ice. There were wrecks all over the place, tractors in the ditches, passenger cars spun out. We called CMG and we were told to keep moving. At that point, we had no choice.

Conditions were such, that even if we did stop, with all the ice, we would have never regained traction and moved a set of doubles off the shoulder.

On my shift, I started at 530pm pst and stopped at 830am pst. Well over the allowed hours, but conditions were such that there were no cleared off ramps, and the shoulder covered in unplowed snow near 2 feet. Once you get to albuqueque, its an all uphill climb to Santa Rosa, and if you think you can stop a tractor in the hills then you don't know anything about tractor trailers in the snow.

Even though we traveled at less than 30 miles per hour for the last 97 miles of my leg, we still managed to meet our relay drivers who were waiting from Oklahoma. Luckily, they were also delayed by record snow on that night from Oklahoma to New Mexico.

Contrary to what has been said on this thread, you don't have the authority to stop the tractor without permission. There is no "stopping to let the fog lift" in sleeper.

TOS.

Gimme a break.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Exactly.

TOS.

Sorry, but if the conditions are unsafe, I'm not going to ask permission of somebody who is not currently seeing what I'm dealing with. Maybe you're afraid to stand up to The FCC/OPP or whoever the hell you're scared of, but if the conditions make travel unsafe, then I'm gonna pull over and hang tight.

You make it like you are the best of the best because you're on a sleeper team, like it's a whole different world from non-sleeper runs.

Why did you only run 30 MPH for the last 97 miles? Your GPS would surely show you the road curves and any other potential obstacles.

bbsam

Staff member
Seems to me that relying on a GPS in this situation would do little more than give me the sense that I was getting a false sense of security and that in turn would have me feeling less secure.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
This man has no idea what he is talking about. The only call I make is to dispatch letting them know I'm shutting it down in bad conditions. TOS is either scared or clueless. Sleeper teams are paid for ALL delays. If he doesn't know that, somebody is getting one hell of a delay employing him.

bluehdmc

d
Exactly.

TOS.

Late freight beats no freight.

The driver ultimately has to decide whether or not a meet time is worth their life. Guaranteed they might tell you to, "slow down and be careful". Wreck the truck, lose the loads and then what are they going to say?

Someone is going to armchair quarterback it and say you should have stopped.

I've had them ask me to take a CPU trailer to the nearest facility to have a mechanic check it. The brakes would release but the service brake wouldn't work. I flat out refused to leave the customers property. No way I'm risking my life and the lives of others.
They ended up calling the towing company, it's on their driver if he hits a busload of nuns.

Johney

d

Late freight beats no freight.

The driver ultimately has to decide whether or not a meet time is worth their life. Guaranteed they might tell you to, "slow down and be careful". Wreck the truck, lose the loads and then what are they going to say?

Someone is going to armchair quarterback it and say you should have stopped.

I've had them ask me to take a CPU trailer to the nearest facility to have a mechanic check it. The brakes would release but the service brake wouldn't work. I flat out refused to leave the customers property. No way I'm risking my life and the lives of others.
They ended up calling the towing company, it's on their driver if he hits a busload of nuns.
Exactly. They will tell you all night long to keep going and the minute you call and say your in the ditch,packages everywhere? I think we all know that answer...........well not all.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
This man has no idea what he is talking about. The only call I make is to dispatch letting them know I'm shutting it down in bad conditions. TOS is either scared or clueless. Sleeper teams are paid for ALL delays. If he doesn't know that, somebody is getting one hell of a delay employing him.

I find it ridiculous that non feeder drivers are giving sleeper advice on subjects they know nothing about.

You said this "The only call I make is to dispatch letting them know I'm shutting it down in bad conditions"

First and foremost, sleeper teams dont report to "dispatch" or the hubs. Before we depart, we must report to CMG and notify them that we departed, from there all communications are with CMG and not the "dispatch" center.

The "dispatch" center has no authority over the sleeper run. This advice is silly at best.

Second, sleeper teams are NOT paid for ALL delays, only approved delays by CMG, another piece of bad information.

Lets say my partner and I decide to pull the tractor over for 7 hours because we are going to wait for the fog to lift. We call CMG and they do not approve of it but we do it anyway. Are you offering to this board, that the both of us would be paid $35.31 cents an hour for 7 hours to sit there and wait??

Where do you people get this kind of information.

While it is true we are paid for "downtime", its only approved downtime. Fuel =30 mins, Wash =15 mins, TA = 30mins. Breakdowns are paid fully until you are moving again. Everything else is UNPAID.

Dracula, you have no idea what you are talking about, and if you "heard" this somewhere, then your source is full of baloney.

TOS.