Do most UPS jobs pay enough to support a family of four?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I'm a 12-year part-time Preloader. I started when I was in high school and recently just turned 30. I own a beautiful home (that I purchased for $120,000 -- it had previously sold for $280,000) in an upscale area and drive a brand new car. Yet I earn in the low $20,000. How do I do it? By budgeting & controlling my spending.

People frequently ask me why I lease a car. On paper, it costs more (continuous payments, increased insurance rates, etc.) Yet I'm not responsible for the costs of routine maintenance (tires, etc.) and I'll never get the shock of a major repair bill. I'm virtually assured of always having reliable transportation. Next year I will complete my fourth lease, and during that time frame I'm guessing I'm near breaking-even vs. having purchased used cars.

When it comes to food, I purchase my groceries at a local grocery store. I stack coupons against sales and stock-up on attractive prices; sometimes I'll spend a lot, sometimes I'll spend a little. Example: stock-up on canned vegetables for 0.33 each, stock up on canned soup (anywhere from less than a quarter to about a dollar after coupon, depending on the brand & quality), buy frozen chicken breast packs for $1.77 each and you can make a delicious dinner for less than $1.50 (.60-.70 per breast, .15 per serving of veggies, .10-.50 per serving of soup). I typically eat only one big dinner and snack the rest of the day (a bowl of cereal cost about 0.25, a yogurt cup 0.30, banana 0.15, cup of seasonal fruit 0.50, etc.) But I do go out to eat about twice per month, again stacking coupons against sales and sometimes buying discounted gift cards online. Red Lobster offers a "shrimp lovers" meal on Monday or Tuesday for $16. Wash it down with water, split it with a friend, use a coupon and discounted gift card and you'll STILL wind up with nearly a days worth of calories for about $8 per person (including tax & tip).

I do the same when it comes to household purchases -- but I also research the necessity and alternatives of every product. Oral care is a great example. 8 oz. AIM toothpaste sells for less than $1 everywhere (including NYC), and my local supermarket offers it 2/$1 regulatory. Those "fancy" toothpastes that sell for $4 for half the size offer virtually no more benefit... if you want noticeable whiter teeth, you need to bleach them. They exist because companies like P&G and Colgate need to increase revenues in a stagnate market, and people are gullible enough to shell out the extra cash for virtually unnoticeable results. Mouthwash? It's not necessary. Even more scarry, there's growing research to suggest alcohol-based mouthwash cause oral cancer. Use fluoride-based mouthwash only if directed by your dentist.

For phone service, I use MetroPCS. $30 (just reduced from $40) including taxes & fees for unlimited talk, text & internet. The internet's not the fastest, but it meets my needs.

For internet, AT&T continually expands its one-year promotional offering when I threaten to quit (which I otherwise would). For television, I watch broadcast TV and supplement it with a home media center. Honestly, I don't miss cable.

For clothes, I shop clearance racks. I own a few pairs of Levi's Signature (budget brand) that I paid $3 each for. Wonderful quality, nobody knows the difference.

For entertainment, I recognize that places like bars are big cash drains and instead invite friends over. Once a year, I go on a one-week all-inclusive vacation to Mexico or the Caribbean (searching for the best deal).

I live a good life. Next fall, however, I will complete my education and hope to move on to greener pastures.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I want to start a thread asking if UPS pays enough to support a family of five.

I have a family of 5. It would have been tight all these years on just my salary, and we are be no means extravagant.

My best friends dad is a driver and he is the only one that works. There are 5 of them and they got by just fine. Didn't have new cars and toys or a mansion by any means. Also didn't starve by any means. It can be but cost of living varies a ton from area to area also.

kingOFchester

I'm a 12-year part-time Preloader. I started when I was in high school and recently just turned 30. I own a beautiful home (that I purchased for $120,000 -- it had previously sold for $280,000) in an upscale area and drive a brand new car. Yet I earn in the low $20,000. How do I do it? By budgeting & controlling my spending.

People frequently ask me why I lease a car. On paper, it costs more (continuous payments, increased insurance rates, etc.) Yet I'm not responsible for the costs of routine maintenance (tires, etc.) and I'll never get the shock of a major repair bill. I'm virtually assured of always having reliable transportation. Next year I will complete my fourth lease, and during that time frame I'm guessing I'm near breaking-even vs. having purchased used cars.

When it comes to food, I purchase my groceries at a local grocery store. I stack coupons against sales and stock-up on attractive prices; sometimes I'll spend a lot, sometimes I'll spend a little. Example: stock-up on canned vegetables for 0.33 each, stock up on canned soup (anywhere from less than a quarter to about a dollar after coupon, depending on the brand & quality), buy frozen chicken breast packs for $1.77 each and you can make a delicious dinner for less than $1.50 (.60-.70 per breast, .15 per serving of veggies, .10-.50 per serving of soup). I typically eat only one big dinner and snack the rest of the day (a bowl of cereal cost about 0.25, a yogurt cup 0.30, banana 0.15, cup of seasonal fruit 0.50, etc.) But I do go out to eat about twice per month, again stacking coupons against sales and sometimes buying discounted gift cards online. Red Lobster offers a "shrimp lovers" meal on Monday or Tuesday for $16. Wash it down with water, split it with a friend, use a coupon and discounted gift card and you'll STILL wind up with nearly a days worth of calories for about $8 per person (including tax & tip).

I do the same when it comes to household purchases -- but I also research the necessity and alternatives of every product. Oral care is a great example. 8 oz. AIM toothpaste sells for less than $1 everywhere (including NYC), and my local supermarket offers it 2/$1 regulatory. Those "fancy" toothpastes that sell for $4 for half the size offer virtually no more benefit... if you want noticeable whiter teeth, you need to bleach them. They exist because companies like P&G and Colgate need to increase revenues in a stagnate market, and people are gullible enough to shell out the extra cash for virtually unnoticeable results. Mouthwash? It's not necessary. Even more scarry, there's growing research to suggest alcohol-based mouthwash cause oral cancer. Use fluoride-based mouthwash only if directed by your dentist.

For phone service, I use MetroPCS. $30 (just reduced from $40) including taxes & fees for unlimited talk, text & internet. The internet's not the fastest, but it meets my needs.

For internet, AT&T continually expands its one-year promotional offering when I threaten to quit (which I otherwise would). For television, I watch broadcast TV and supplement it with a home media center. Honestly, I don't miss cable.

For clothes, I shop clearance racks. I own a few pairs of Levi's Signature (budget brand) that I paid $3 each for. Wonderful quality, nobody knows the difference.

For entertainment, I recognize that places like bars are big cash drains and instead invite friends over. Once a year, I go on a one-week all-inclusive vacation to Mexico or the Caribbean (searching for the best deal).

I live a good life. Next fall, however, I will complete my education and hope to move on to greener pastures.

And you deserve those greener pastures!

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
the job pays well,,is it ever enough? tell that jumper next to you that your taking home 1200 a week