Do our customers understand......

menotyou

bella amicizia
At our center, don't turn the belt off or you get a warning letter. The belt is a tool. We have those stop buttons for a reason, but they interfere with the PPH. They arent given enough dock space, or a place to put a bulk stop them at should be loaded last. They are lucky to have any rollers for the feeders, let all e ones that are in working order. The T stands are usually broken anyways, so I guess it doesn't matter. The DA/splitter is usually cut so the people at the head of the belt loading 4 trucks and having to look at every package, also, have to split the belt. Yes, this is a management directive or get a warning letter. That's just off the top of my head. Heard enough?

S

splozi

That's an entirely different world from where I work. I feel sorry for the people at your center. But I suppose every place has it's own bs.

Kirk

Quite bitching you get paid by the hour don't you! Plus you run over their dog, you get to go tell them what you did to their family pet. Plus you get to explain to your boss what happened! And while I'm on it with that 120 stops what do you drive 75 miles?

rod

Retired 22 years
For the most part I never let it bother me when I was held up by a customer (unless it was Friday and I was leaving on a fishing trip as soon as I got off of work). What really pissed me off was when I had a center manager or sup riding with me and the same person who didn't think twice about delaying me the day before would all of a sudden hold the door for me, help carry packages out to the truck and basically go out of their way to speed me along because "they saw I had the boss with and didn't want to delay me".

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
There have been extremely few occasions when I have walked out of a business with the pkg that I was trying to deliver. One in particular was an NDA for Sonic. Unfortunately for the 'children' that were working there, I knew where the manager lived. I was never ignored again. :fightings:

menotyou

bella amicizia
Quite bitching you get paid by the hour don't you! Plus you run over their dog, you get to go tell them what you did to their family pet. Plus you get to explain to your boss what happened! And while I'm on it with that 120 stops what do you drive 75 miles?
My last route had 110 miles and 130 stops and 52 p/ups. Not counting all the 'helping' I got to do. And, about 20 of those were apt buildings that counted as one stop, which I fixed every day, adding about 30 more stops.

menotyou

bella amicizia
52 pick ups that sucks!!!
Industrial, too. Just loved when the state ordered their plowblades, as that guy was on my route. NY airbrake was the biggest pick, and my last. That would take 20 minutes, usually and the dock was 3 feet higher than theback of the truck. Just two of them. What's better is that I delivered to these people in the morning.

Indecisi0n

I just had a customer tell me today (in a friendly joking manner) "You're so loud." I said I have to be to get peoples attention. She smiled and signed.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I just had a customer tell me today (in a friendly joking manner) "You're so loud." I said I have to be to get peoples attention. She smiled and signed.
We definitely get stuck in a no win situation. The elderly are hard of hearing so we all but beat on the door to get their attention and then the neighbor down the street bitches because we are to loud. Same thing applies to walking in to a business and there is no one at the front counter. We have no choice but to riase our voices and people get offended over it. I have McD's, BK, Subway, Starbucks on my route and they are within my first 10 stops in the morning. McD's is almost always wall to wall people. I have no choice but to raise my voice because the managers are the only ones that sign for pkgs and I need to get their attention. Sonic is later in the day (lunchtime) and sometimes they are busy, sometimes not. They learned along time ago not to ignore me. Not to mention that I recently had a talk with the new manager about their customer service.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Had a pkg for Wendy's today. Got there at 12:30. Usually not a problem. They were busy and seemed dis-organized. I left and came back at 3. No biggy. I hit a dozen food joints during the noon hour. The key is to be nice and look patient even though you want to scream "Sign, dammit!"

Cementups

Box Monkey
We definitely get stuck in a no win situation. The elderly are hard of hearing so we all but beat on the door to get their attention and then the neighbor down the street bitches because we are to loud. Same thing applies to walking in to a business and there is no one at the front counter. We have no choice but to riase our voices and people get offended over it. I have McD's, BK, Subway, Starbucks on my route and they are within my first 10 stops in the morning. McD's is almost always wall to wall people. I have no choice but to raise my voice because the managers are the only ones that sign for pkgs and I need to get their attention. Sonic is later in the day (lunchtime) and sometimes they are busy, sometimes not. They learned along time ago not to ignore me. Not to mention that I recently had a talk with the new manager about their customer service.

In the past when I've come to restaurants and other situations where there is a counter area and I seem to be ignored even though I know the manager/owner saw me there and decided to put me off I would eventually start walking behind the counter heading their direction. The person in question would sometimes say, you can't come back here I would tell them "Then when you see me walk in the door you should be a little more receptive to my presence. At least acknowledge I am there and tell me you'll be right there instead of just blatantly ignoring me." Surprisingly I got pretty good reception to this tactic and the problem was solved.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In the past when I've come to restaurants and other situations where there is a counter area and I seem to be ignored even though I know the manager/owner saw me there and decided to put me off I would eventually start walking behind the counter heading their direction. The person in question would sometimes say, you can't come back here I would tell them "Then when you see me walk in the door you should be a little more receptive to my presence. At least acknowledge I am there and tell me you'll be right there instead of just blatantly ignoring me." Surprisingly I got pretty good reception to this tactic and the problem was solved.

...or you could end up in my situation and be asked not to return to this stop. The stop was Sam's Club. I backed up to the overhead door, rang the buzzer, started sheeting packages, rang the buzzer again, continued sheeting, went in to see if anyone was around, an employee said that no on was around and let me in through the secured door, I went to the overhead door, opened it, secured and loaded a pallet while the employee went to find someone from receiving. Sam's Club mgt called my center manager and said I was not allowed to walk around in a secured area and requested that I not deliver there anymore. Both my center manager and on-car supported what I did and we now have a different driver delivering this stop. They used to get their stuff at 9:30-9:45---they now get it at 2:45. Our sense of urgency does not always agree with theirs.

BrownBlue

New Jack
I've got some chatters that Ive gotten to know on route. I use to dread getting them because most would answer the door before I got there. Now I could care less, UPS sets goals you can usually only meet by being unsafe, so I don't feel their pressure anymore. I will actually wait for these people to come to the door, chat a bit then be off. They tell shippers to send it UPS when they have an option, because of our interactions, so I suppose it's just growing the business, but most likely cause I could give a crap about fantastical goals set by people who don't do the job.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It amazes me some of the hoops we have to jump through to get people "their" packages. "They" ordered the crap, why make it hard on us to get it to them.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

I do this at McD's every time. I don't care if they have a lobby full of customers, I am not waiting for them to come to me. I always go behind the counter. Not far, but far enough to get attention. I also have Taco Bell and Denny's in the morning. Taco Bell isn't a problem. Denny's is a different story. They can be a problem on a occasion.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
...or you could end up in my situation and be asked not to return to this stop. The stop was Sam's Club. I backed up to the overhead door, rang the buzzer, started sheeting packages, rang the buzzer again, continued sheeting, went in to see if anyone was around, an employee said that no on was around and let me in through the secured door, I went to the overhead door, opened it, secured and loaded a pallet while the employee went to find someone from receiving. Sam's Club mgt called my center manager and said I was not allowed to walk around in a secured area and requested that I not deliver there anymore. Both my center manager and on-car supported what I did and we now have a different driver delivering this stop. They used to get their stuff at 9:30-9:45---they now get it at 2:45. Our sense of urgency does not always agree with theirs.
I would have done the same thing. More likely though, I would have left an info notice on the back door. See Ya!

menotyou

bella amicizia
I hate delivering to Sams or Walmart. They get so uppity. Can't unload til they are observing, sorting, and counting. I make AT LEAST 3x more an hour than you, I don't care about stealing any stupid dvd. I will stand here all day, if you want, but they will put your stop on another vehicle and you will get your crap later in the day, if I do. Your call.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I've got some chatters that Ive gotten to know on route. I use to dread getting them because most would answer the door before I got there. Now I could care less, UPS sets goals you can usually only meet by being unsafe, so I don't feel their pressure anymore. I will actually wait for these people to come to the door, chat a bit then be off. They tell shippers to send it UPS when they have an option, because of our interactions, so I suppose it's just growing the business, but most likely cause I could give a crap about fantastical goals set by people who don't do the job.
Oh my God, you didn't. :rofl: