Do our customers understand......

dvalleyjim

I do the same route everyday so I know my people and almost all (there are some exceptions) like me and will sign right away with the usual 30 seconds of talking. Some actually like to see me.
Although this can sometimes be a drag when I'm real busy and they want to talk. I always stay and chat and try not to look as stressed as I feel knowing that tomorrow I want them to accommodate me again, and the next day, and the next day......!

If I cover another route I get the "new guy treatment" (yeah the 18 yr. new guy) but I have a lovely disposition and usually have no delays. (although my wife will tell you different on the lovely part)

I think experience helps you to keep the route moving. You have to be a people person and a bit of a manipulator-armchair psychologist. After all this is basically a customer service job.

Like I tell my drivers. Fedex ground doesn't make widgets, they are only selling service. That's the product that keeps us employed.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I do the same route everyday so I know my people and almost all (there are some exceptions) like me and will sign right away with the usual 30 seconds of talking. Some actually like to see me.
Although this can sometimes be a drag when I'm real busy and they want to talk. I always stay and chat and try not to look as stressed as I feel knowing that tomorrow I want them to accommodate me again, and the next day, and the next day......!

If I cover another route I get the "new guy treatment" (yeah the 18 yr. new guy) but I have a lovely disposition and usually have no delays. (although my wife will tell you different on the lovely part)

I think experience helps you to keep the route moving. You have to be a people person and a bit of a manipulator-armchair psychologist. After all this is basically a customer service job.

Like I tell my drivers. Fedex ground doesn't make widgets, they are only selling service. That's the product that keeps us employed.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I walked out of a Big supermarket with 10 cases of Lottery tickets and a smile on my face because the new front end manager told me" no more courtisy both deliverys " and I needed an appointment !! LOL LOL LOL

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Then you're doing it wrong.

How is it done then ol' wise master of the parcels, are you REALLY ready to step it up a few notches into upstate territory, but be forewarned many a padawon have ventured down that path never to return again.....

Maybe he was bothered by your spelling skills?!?!

AKCoverMan

What kind of effect they can have on our day? I had two customers waste about 5 minutes of my day today because they would not let me leave until they rounded up fido so I "don't run over them". Let's use an example of what I figure to be a very average day. Do they realize that if u have 120 stops and each one just wastes just 30 seconds of your day that's an hour later u get home. So this is for you secretary who needed to finish your phone conversation with your boyfriend before you signed. You cashier who needed to checkout 3 people before u initial. The homeowner whose circle drive at the end of the quarter mile driveway is full of cars. Do they have any clue?

Some do, some don't. That's just the way it is. Remember.. that nice fat paycheck we get every Friday totally comes from those people; the shippers and the consignees. Not from the union and not from the good graces of the company. The company makes the money it pays us from these people. So deal with it. I know it is annoying.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I talked for 30 seconds a stop I would never get done.

If the talking were done after the stop was complete I would agree with you which is why I try to chat while I scan. It takes me 3-5 minutes to deliver Walmart during which time the receiver and I may talk about the latest movie or something that may have happend locally. I don't spend a lot of time BSing with customers but there are some regulars who I do chat with while making the delivery.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
In the good old days ,you could chat for 4 or 5 mins with a customer and make it up down the road! Today from what I hear,the S.S will charge you for stealing time,not applaud you for building a relationship !!

Cementups

Box Monkey
Originally Posted by Cementups
Then you're doing it wrong.
How is it done then ol' wise master of the parcels, are you REALLY ready to step it up a few notches into upstate territory, but be forewarned many a padawon have ventured down that path never to return again.....

Maybe he was bothered by your spelling skills?!?!

Padawan -

padawan

1 A Jedi pupil or student, or broadly used as anyone that is learning

2 A nickname used, often demeaningly, on someone trying to be as good as you are.

:winnersmiley:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I walked out of a Big supermarket with 10 cases of Lottery tickets and a smile on my face because the new front end manager told me" no more courtisy both deliverys " and I needed an appointment !! LOL LOL LOL
​What?!?!?! Don't they know that lottery tickets aren't supposed to be delivered to the back door?