Do part time supervisors get hired from seniority?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Skittles, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Skittles

Skittles New Member

I was wondering if it goes by seniority when they hire supervisors, wasn't sure if it was different because it's not a union job.

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

They choose those who they can easily manipulate.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Box Ox

Box Ox Camacho for President!

No, they get hired by suckeriority.

4. UPSClerkGirl

UPSClerkGirl Active Member

No they hire based on who they think will be the best candidate. My boyfriend is a PT Sup and he started the process at the same time as another guy with less seniority and the other guy started first. A lot of it depends on your fit. I know the other guy was a preloader and my boyfriend was a local sorter. They weren't going to put my boyfriend on preload when he had never done it before when in a couple week they were going to need a local sort sup. Seniority means almost nothing in the management world.

5. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Sups are kind of a negative seniority position. Hourly employees with more seniority have a lot less incentive or desire to go into management.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

They hire those with management potential regardless of length of service.
    Most Union employees are not fit to be management.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  7. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Too honest?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

I have a management degree and graduated Magna Cum Laude. I have been offered management four times. Most Union employees are too smart to accept the eroding inferior benefits and absence of job security.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  9. UPSClerkGirl

UPSClerkGirl Active Member

There are a bunch of threads on here talking about union benefits that are eroding as well.

10. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

I'm asked at least once or twice a year.

11. MC4YOU2

MC4YOU2 Yep, not wearing brown anymore

The main difference there is Union members vote for their negotiated benefits for better or worse, and they can't be arbitrarily taken away. Management benefits on the other hand, are given and taken away at the pleasure of the CEO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. MC4YOU2

MC4YOU2 Yep, not wearing brown anymore

Never a shortage of pt sups who jump at the chance of escaping management to become drivers in the hourly rotation. I've a seen several pt sups quit when they though they just couldn't wait for their turn.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

To answer the OP, have you ever seen a bid list for pt supervisors?
    You have your answer.

14. BrownTexas

BrownTexas Well-Known Member

Pt Supervisors at my center are just warm bodied people that show up everyday. I rather have a senior preloaded than a pt supervisor because he hasn't been here long enough to know how to load a truck right. They just throw it in the truck and think that is how you load.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

And they are supposed to be training new loaders. Any surprise load quality sucks?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

As a whole, there is little to no difference in skillset between union hourlies and low-level operations management. I have never seen it. When you say "fit", that could include being able to tolerate upper-managements desires, but again I don't think there is much difference.

I would also assume that most of those who are promoted into supervisor roles because: (a) their bodies weren't going to hold up to retirement or (b) wanted the feeling of being a boss, self-importance, perhaps bullied a lot as a child

;)

Then there are resume builders and etc, but I would guess those are less frequent than people imagine.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  17. AirOnTrace

AirOnTrace Allergic to cardboard.

I've been approached about going into management several times. The lack of stability is a huge sticking point for me. My family is settled where we are, and I'm not going to be relocated at the whims of higher-ups.

18. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

And most management aren't fit to be drivers.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  19. BrownTexas

BrownTexas Well-Known Member

No shocker here. Just a good reason as to why I'm so over allowed. Lol.

20. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

Reeled in a few with that one.
    I was enjoying a Stones concert while y'all were rendering your clothes and gnashing your teeth.
    Life is good!