Do part time supervisors get hired from seniority?

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Reeled in a few with that one.
I was enjoying a Stones concert while y'all were rendering your clothes and gnashing your teeth.
Life is good!

Take your Metamucil and enjoy a good nap old man. Nobody gnashing anything on your behalf. Your motives are as subtle as ups brainwashing. Look sharp, don't get cut.

browntroll

my hub i gave up trying to figure it out. we had someone who is managements son picked over a guy that was waiting for 2 years while the son was only on the
job for 6 months. another guy that i knew was trying to become a pt sup as a resume builder before he leaves was told he didnt show
"leadership skills" im not sure thats possible as a part time union worker.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've been approached about going into management several times. The lack of stability is a huge sticking point for me. My family is settled where we are, and I'm not going to be relocated at the whims of higher-ups.

Management relocation used to be a much bigger issue than it is now. Generally speaking if you are doing a good job and not interested in upward mobility you could stay where you are for the majority of your career. It costs the company a lot of money to move a manager and his/her family.

The same happened toward the end of my military career. They used to move people around all the time but soon found out how expensive that could be and the number of PCS (Permanent Change of Station) moves went way down.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Why not?

Look around during the sort and you will see workers that stand out and others that fade in to the background.
And there is the problem, the ones that fade into the background are generally dissatisfied with their job, and their productivity shows it. These are the people looking for something different, these are your future managers.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
That's definitely our center.
Management asks everyone to become a PT supervisor. The dumb (and desperate) ones accept it.
I always feel bad for them. I'll see these new guys loading my trailer, then a few weeks later they have a polo on and are sweating harder then the loaders and running around in a panic and I just smirk and shake my head. If only his :censored2: just walked up and asked me I could have save him so much pain.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
No they hire based on who they think will be the best candidate. My boyfriend is a PT Sup and he started the process at the same time as another guy with less seniority and the other guy started first. A lot of it depends on your fit. I know the other guy was a preloader and my boyfriend was a local sorter. They weren't going to put my boyfriend on preload when he had never done it before when in a couple week they were going to need a local sort sup. Seniority means almost nothing in the management world.
See post # 26

browner89

my hub i gave up trying to figure it out. we had someone who is managements son picked over a guy that was waiting for 2 years while the son was only on the
job for 6 months. another guy that i knew was trying to become a pt sup as a resume builder before he leaves was told he didnt show
"leadership skills" im not sure thats possible as a part time union worker.

You have a guy waiting 2+ years to become supervisor?

1.) What's wrong with him
2.) Is he :censored2:ing your CMs wife?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have a management degree and graduated Magna Cum Laude. I have been offered management four times. Most Union employees are too smart to accept the eroding inferior benefits and absence of job security.
hook.jpg

browntroll

They could hire the Dalai Lama of supervisors but everybody on here hates management so much it wouldn't matter.
some of us use this forum to vent or just name the instances where management is wrong. i try to get along with my sups but doesnt always workout
i actually have 2 sups that have never worked with me are scared of me for some reason i still cant figure out why. my other sups we have our good days
and our bad days but ever sup is different theres only 1 in my building that doesnt care about upper managements ideas while the others are scared of
getting yelled at by their boss.

HBGPreloader

I always feel bad for them. I'll see these new guys loading my trailer, then a few weeks later they have a polo on and are sweating harder then the loaders and running around in a panic and I just smirk and shake my head. If only his :censored2: just walked up and asked me I could have save him so much pain.
There are a few I do feel bad for. A couple of them took the position out of desperation to get an immediate pay increase and insurance for their families.
The others who just want to make a "career" out of it, not so much.