Do Permanent Part Time Employees get Preference over Seasonal Drivers?

A.Spooner

I am currently a part time package handler, and recently signed the seasonal bid sheet for driving. I had signed it in Summer time as well. I didn't have to go to driving school for winter seasonal as I was told I just went in June and didn't need to return to it. Since then, I have been out 3 times on Saturday with a supervisor doing Air. Now our center has quite a few outside seasonal employees that just started that are starting to drive seasonally, as in a few were on the road today. I can't get a straight answer from anybody there as to why outside hires are driving prior to our internal employees. Should I call my union rep? I've tried speaking to a few driver supervisors and haven't really received any answers. We have quite a few guys that are package handlers as well waiting to drive seasonally and wondering the same thing. Any help would be appreciated.

A.Spooner

Do internal employees have any kind of seniority over seasonal outside employees? I.E. should I get to drive seasonally before those I just mentioned if a route is open for the day?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Do internal employees have any kind of seniority over seasonal outside employees? I.E. should I get to drive seasonally before those I just mentioned if a route is open for the day?
No
No
Operational flexibility for UPS per the contract.
You have seniority for your p/t job.

upsbrown-2009

I suggest u tell them you will not be playing their games ! They spent a great amount to send u to school for training. Tell them up front u have another job and you will not be RTD ing this year due to putting outside help on in front of a Union Employee! This season they are strapped on making service for what we are expecting!

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Why would you ask a supervisor about seniority rights. They don't know or care. Ask your shop steward.

StoptheAct1212

Well right now they are in the training stage and honestly thats the only legit way no senior employee can bump em .. if your full time and it effects you, yes you have your rights, but if your pt, or a cover you cant do a damn thing. Suxx but welcome to UPS. Your seasonal driver, which pretty much means.. as Needed , sorry.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
No
No
Operational flexibility for UPS per the contract.
You have seniority for your p/t job.
Wrong, this is for drivers who are qualified to drive, Art 49 section 7 Southern Supplement

(A) Seniority Part-time employees may work as coverage drivers. They may cover vacations in excess of those filled by full-time vacation coverage drivers and may fill absences in excess of those covered by full-time non-bid drivers. All TCD(s) will be offered package car driver (PCD) work prior to using seasonal package drivers. Additionally, during the peak season period, when a PCD(s) is absent, said route(s) will not be abolished and helper(s) utilization increased to avoid using a TCD(s) to cover said absence(s). No coverage drivers may be used if full-time employees are on layoff. Part-time coverage drivers may not be used to supplement the work force, only as temporary replacements.

And for inside employees who want to driver help, Art 46 section 2

SECTION 2 - SEASONAL EMPLOYEES
No seasonal employee shall be hired prior to October l5th of each calendar year.

Any employee hired after October 15th thru January 15th of each calendar year shall not accrue days towards seniority.

Seasonal employees, when hired, shall be notified they are seasonal by signing a seasonal-employee notice.

Prior to peak season, the opportunity to perform driver helper work during peak season will be offered to seniority part-time employees, providing that this driver helper work will not interfere with their regularly scheduled duties. This will be done by posting an interest list by the second (2nd) Monday in September for seniority employees to sign signifying their intent to be available for driver helper work for the duration of peak season. After the above process, the Employer may hire employees to perform this work.

For those wondering if they are seasonal or hired on permanently, please see the bold text above for your answer.

Feel free to use this information in other threads.

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
They do under the southern supplement.
Read the contract if you care about your money.
Wish more guys would read. All it takes is downloading a PDF to your phone and use the search feature. Same guys that have 5 apps to post on Facebook and upload sports scores can't figure out how to find information about their livelihood. Not directed solely at you OP, just a general rant.

tramtwo

Wrong, this is for drivers who are qualified to drive, Art 49 section 7 Southern Supplement

(A) Seniority Part-time employees may work as coverage drivers. They may cover vacations in excess of those filled by full-time vacation coverage drivers and may fill absences in excess of those covered by full-time non-bid drivers. All TCD(s) will be offered package car driver (PCD) work prior to using seasonal package drivers. Additionally, during the peak season period, when a PCD(s) is absent, said route(s) will not be abolished and helper(s) utilization increased to avoid using a TCD(s) to cover said absence(s). No coverage drivers may be used if full-time employees are on layoff. Part-time coverage drivers may not be used to supplement the work force, only as temporary replacements.

No seasonal employee shall be hired prior to October l5th of each calendar year.

Any employee hired after October 15th thru January 15th of each calendar year shall not accrue days towards seniority.

Seasonal employees, when hired, shall be notified they are seasonal by signing a seasonal-employee notice.

Prior to peak season, the opportunity to perform driver helper work during peak season will be offered to seniority part-time employees, providing that this driver helper work will not interfere with their regularly scheduled duties. This will be done by posting an interest list by the second (2nd) Monday in September for seniority employees to sign signifying their intent to be available for driver helper work for the duration of peak season. After the above process, the Employer may hire employees to perform this work.

For those wondering if they are seasonal or hired on permanently, please see the bold text above for your answer.

As a TCD I am being told that seasonal helpers can be used (trained) before I am offered a route. Doesn't seem appropriate that a seasonal would get a chance to work while I'm being told there is not enough extra work to give me a route.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
As a TCD I am being told that seasonal helpers can be used (trained) before I am offered a route. Doesn't seem appropriate that a seasonal would get a chance to work while I'm being told there is not enough extra work to give me a route.
What Supplement are you under? If Southern, call your BA and grieve it, easy money. It's written in my post, plain as day, you work before they do, period.

tramtwo

What Supplement are you under? If Southern, call your BA and grieve it, easy money.
Thats what I thought too. I'm being told by the local that 'training' helpers is allowed. Funny that the training starts right when all the extra work hits the building. I'm still going to grieve it.
Edit: Im under the Southern Supplement.

luckster

I just made my 30 days as part time air driver. If there's a route that opens up can I bid for it? Or will they use casual drivers?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Where I am, yes you can bid. I say where I am, because every local has their own rules.