Do pickup scans really exist any more?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
"Do not scan each piece" is not and cannot be a valid "flavor of the month", no more so "don't sheet business misloads as 'missed'; use NR1 instead". One could point out why we are suppose to make these scans and easily defend against not doing it. However, if one's performance starts to suffer mgmt will look for places one is wasting/"stealing" time, and may target this (and keep in mind we get an allowance, which increases one's "planned day" dispatch, to the chagrin of the dispatch supe). If a pickup can generate an EOD (and if their pkgs don't have the pkg icon on the bottom, they can) I'd ask them to print out the EOD; otherwise, per company proper methods and procedures, we are really suppose to scan each piece; it is not, as Upstate and others have suggested, "stealing time". The "origin scan" should not be the first scan.[/QUOTE

Proper methods are to NOT scan each individual pkg at a pick stop. End of day or not has nothing to do with it.

Cementups

Box Monkey
As a shipper, I would like to have that pickup scan so that I know the package has been received by UPS and is en route. But I guess the customer isn't the one who matters here. Just the stock holders.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Proper methods are to NOT scan each individual pkg at a pick stop. End of day or not has nothing to do with it.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect, which is why UPS-maybe not your Center team or your district manager but UPS- gives an allowance for it . They recognize that there will be times when we are not able to scan the report, however a pickup scan should be generated. In the case of packages missing or EOD number being off, the proper method is to count what is picked up and record that on the EOD as well as in your DIAD.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

exceptions to not scanning the end of day will be a feeder driver who picks up palet of packages that maybe shrink-wrapped; however, in my center there is at least one pick up I know where a feeder (from another building) makes the daily pickup.however, the regulations delivery driver (out of my building) goes in to collect any smalls and airs, and then must scan the pickup report It'll often have thousands of pieces on it, bit he only gets credit for what he puts in the board, which should only be what he puts on his truck; this way, however, all pieces get a pickup scan.

If the pickup scan cannot be generated from an EOD the method is you are suppose to scan it. All pkgs should have a pickup scan, EOD or not. UPS wants this , hence while they may shrink the scan allowance, there still is one.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Incorrect, which is why UPS-maybe not your Center team or your district manager but UPS- gives an allowance for it ... the proper method is to count what is picked up and record that on the EOD as well as in your DIAD.

Per my discussion with Corporate IE in 2008, there is no allowance, there is no allowance for a pickup scan except at Drop Boxes and when "Walk up" is selected.

There is an allowance to count all packages at pickup but it is assumed the driver is keeping a mental count as the packages are loaded into the package car. This allowance is dovetailed into the optimum handle of the packages from location to package car.
In essence, the driver gets a couple of seconds per stop since counting is done during the handle allowance.