Do the right thing / or not

S

serenity now

let's say someone hands you a prepaid during the day * back at the truck you enter 1 into the prepaid field and scan the package, but it won't scan * :censored2: * do you enter the entire 1z #, or do you remove the 1 from the prepaid field

pickup a letter from a drop box * no billing copy attached * do you hold that ltr out and give it to the clerk/oms at the end of the day or do you say screw it

other examples are welcome / i'm sure there are many

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

With closed loop billing the consignee will still get billed whether you turn in the billing copy of the ASD or not. I have 5 dropboxes and at least once a week I will get a letter with no billing copy---I just scan it and throw it in the tote with the others.

I add any prepaids that are handed to me to one of my dropboxes and, yes, I type in the 1Z if needed.

S

serenity now

With closed loop billing the consignee will still get billed whether you turn in the billing copy of the ASD or not. I have 5 dropboxes and at least once a week I will get a letter with no billing copy---I just scan it and throw it in the tote with the others.

I add any prepaids that are handed to me to one of my dropboxes and, yes, I type in the 1Z if needed.

i have some doubts about whether the system is that airtight

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i have some doubts about whether the system is that airtight

When you scan the ASD at origin it creates a billing event in the system---the final scan closes the billing event. It also reconciles any differences between the weight entered on the ASD and that entered at delivery. How many times have you seen "PAK" entered as the weight or "LTR" used when the shipment is not in one of our envelopes? I find myself constantly correcting weights on ASD's and "LTR" can only be used when they use one of our envelopes---use anything else and it is as least 1 lb.

DougHeffernan

How about when I deliver a asd with no shipper number? They usually tell you to type in last name as shipper number. I doubt those are getting billed correctly?
It's like mailing an envelope with the sender and receiver address being the same but not putting postage.
I just took over a route where a shipper would put one pound on every package no matter the weight. Lets say I didn't make friends when I wouldn't pickup overweight packages.

S

serenity now

ok, here's one for you: it's Thurs. and you have an Option 3 on Friday * you haven't completed the holiday info in the pickup screen and it's one of those that involves 3 or 4 different days * must be completed by end of day Friday * :devil3:
what will you do?

When I get a customer like that .....I say I wish this was a butcher shop...and customer says why...I say I would like to buy one pound of steak off of you!!!!They usually get the message then!!!Im not going to get in an argument saying I think this package is 17lbs not 15lbs.. but when you see a package thats says 5lbs and you throw your back out to pick it up . Its time to buy a scale!!!

cino321

When picking up packages that have inaccurate weights on them the practice in my building has been to bring them to the attention of loss prevention.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When picking up packages that have inaccurate weights on them the practice in my building has been to bring them to the attention of loss prevention.

You work out of a larger facility than I do. The closest loss prevention people are in Albany or Syracuse. We used to do revenue corrections in the center but now they are done in the hubs (if at all).

Any weight corrections that I do are limited to ASD's.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I use to refuse to pick up call tag packages all the time. The shipping label would say 50+ lbs on it and the return label was like 5.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I use to refuse to pick up call tag packages all the time. The shipping label would say 50+ lbs on it and the return label was like 5.
The way it was explained to me we offer certain shippers a deal on call tags and that's reflected in the weight. So go ahead and pick those up.

island1fox

The way it was explained to me we offer certain shippers a deal on call tags and that's reflected in the weight. So go ahead and pick those up.

Jones,

I do not know if that is correct or not. Seems to be a very poor way to provide the customer with a discount.

UPS expects Honesty and INTEGRITY in everything thing we do ----Picking up packages with the wrong weight just seems wrong to me.

Before I would do so I would Make a Rogers "double check" with someone in Management and make sure they gave a PCM so that iot would be clear to all drivers. I lean toward this is not correct.

Nope they couldnt pay somebody 10 bucks an hour to save 100s or thousands a dollars a day in lost revenue...That would mean one more over priced teamster on the payroll...that would never happen...its cheaper to lose revenue!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The best thing to do is to make service on the call tag and let the center worry about the discrepancy.

I used to have a Toyota dealership on my route. All of their returns had 35 lbs on the label but were anywhere from 5 to 150 lbs. There was a note in the DIAD to p/u regardless of package weight.

Aren't they weighed at the terminal for billing accuracy?

Not any more---any revenue corrections are done at the hubs.

Jones,

I do not know if that is correct or not. Seems to be a very poor way to provide the customer with a discount.

UPS expects Honesty and INTEGRITY in everything thing we do ----Picking up packages with the wrong weight just seems wrong to me.

Before I would do so I would Make a Rogers "double check" with someone in Management and make sure they gave a PCM so that iot would be clear to all drivers. I lean toward this is not correct.

Actually Jones is correct. We are instructed to pick them up and let the hub worry about any revenue corrections.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Jones,

I did the same thing as brownslave, refusing to pick up a call tag because the weight was obviously incorrect. When I brought it up to my center team that's what I was told. It's been a few years though so maybe I'll ask again and see if I get the same answer.
4-5 years ago I had a Toyota dealership with the same deal that Upstate is talking about.

Ms.PacMan

Nope they couldnt pay somebody 10 bucks an hour to save 100s or thousands a dollars a day in lost revenue...That would mean one more over priced teamster on the payroll...that would never happen...its cheaper to lose revenue!!!
They tried this with outside contractors. They paid them commission based on the weights they corrected and it was a fiasco because they corrected weights that were true in order to pad their paychecks. I think it only lasted a few months.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They have no problem with me doing it. I've even refused to take the call tag in the morning because I know exActly what package it is for and that the weight is way off. Not really a big deal tell the customer to contact the shipper for a new call tag.