Do the right thing / or not

Ms.PacMan

depends on how much they fib about the weight
They were idiots and in our bldg they were correcting 1lb paks or manilla envelopes to 5lbs. We nearly lost two shippers because this was essentially all they shipped each day. Getting a bill 5 times the normal cost did not go unnoticed.
50lbs to 55lbs might have gone unnoticed but not 1 to 5lbs. Beside that, they were lazy and didn't want to deal with a pkg that weighed very much.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
depends on how much they fib about the weight

+1

If its a pound or two off, its not worth my time to make a second attempt so I go ahead and pick it up anyway. If its an obvious case of the shipper grossly understating the weight, I will force them to correct the problem by refusing to pick it up. Common sense.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Been debating for several weeks about whether or not to post a thread concerning what's the deal with ASDs. Thank you for this thread.

Do all pkgs with ASDs get weighed.

Also, if pkgs with underestimated weights get corrected, why refuse to pick up anything?

S

serenity now

Been debating for several weeks about whether or not to post a thread concerning what's the deal with ASDs. Thank you for this thread.

Do all pkgs with ASDs get weighed.

Also, if pkgs with underestimated weights get corrected, why refuse to pick up anything?

if the weight is way off i'll stick a post-it on the pkg. near the label * belt auditor will be on it like a dog on meat

beentheredonethat

Jones,

I do not know if that is correct or not. Seems to be a very poor way to provide the customer with a discount.

UPS expects Honesty and INTEGRITY in everything thing we do ----Picking up packages with the wrong weight just seems wrong to me.

Before I would do so I would Make a Rogers "double check" with someone in Management and make sure they gave a PCM so that iot would be clear to all drivers. I lean toward this is not correct.

We do offer shippers deals on Returns. Usually when they are very large and also when determining weights can be problematic. You have a large retail shipper who may ship out 3 items to a customer and the pkg weighs 10 lbs. However, the item being returned is only only one of the three originally shipped. When we do this, we usually give the customer a default weight (ex 3 lbs, or 5 lbs or whatever based on an average). We then bill them that for all pkgs, sometimes the pkg is lighter sometimes it is heavier but in the end on avg it works out. However, what normally is done is to have NO weight listed on the RS label. In this way, there really is no disrepancy that the driver will notice. Also, although most shippers do not use this anymore, ARS was a svc that by definition had no PLD and no weight uploaded. That was 100% based on an avg zone and avg weight. We just continued the theory with RS svc. However, that is a deal between UPS and the customer. The customer who enters the weight incorrectly should not happen and we are losing revenue.

beentheredonethat

They were idiots and in our bldg they were correcting 1lb paks or manilla envelopes to 5lbs. We nearly lost two shippers because this was essentially all they shipped each day. Getting a bill 5 times the normal cost did not go unnoticed.
50lbs to 55lbs might have gone unnoticed but not 1 to 5lbs. Beside that, they were lazy and didn't want to deal with a pkg that weighed very much.

I get what you are saying, but the rate difference between a 1 lb and a 5 lb pkg is not 5 times the cost. Using published rates a 1 lb zone 2 grd resi is 11.62, it it goes to 5 lbs the charge goes to 12.81. About a 11% increase. Also, often with a customer with discounts and decent discounts, there is such a large discount and with a minimum charge, that often 1 - 5 lbs sometimes 1-10 lbs for zone 2 can be the same exact charge. Further distances (zones 7 and 8) does have a bit more of a delta in 1 to 5 lbs.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I get what you are saying, but the rate difference between a 1 lb and a 5 lb pkg is not 5 times the cost. Using published rates a 1 lb zone 2 grd resi is 11.62, it it goes to 5 lbs the charge goes to 12.81. About a 11% increase. Also, often with a customer with discounts and decent discounts, there is such a large discount and with a minimum charge, that often 1 - 5 lbs sometimes 1-10 lbs for zone 2 can be the same exact charge. Further distances (zones 7 and 8) does have a bit more of a delta in 1 to 5 lbs.

When I started driving a 1 pound zone 2 was $1.99. My wage has doubled since then but the price is up 600%. Cant blame it all on the Teamsters.

DorkHead

With closed loop billing the consignee will still get billed whether you turn in the billing copy of the ASD or not. I have 5 dropboxes and at least once a week I will get a letter with no billing copy---I just scan it and throw it in the tote with the others.

I add any prepaids that are handed to me to one of my dropboxes and, yes, I type in the 1Z if needed.

We`ve been over this before. This is inflating your package totals at the drop box and you are opening yourself up for disciplinary action because of falsifying your p/up records.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I drive a delivery truck, I'm not the package policeman. I was told this by a sup a long time ago when I refused to pick up a package that didn't fit dimensions using the chain. Ever since then I don't give a rip if the packages are wrong or not, I pick them up unless they are dangerous to my safety.

Dammed if you do...Dammed if you dont!!If you do the right thing you make the customer mad!! If you dont do the right thing....somebody in the office wants to have a chat with you!!! Just like the Eagles..you cant win the game no matter what you do!!!

S

serenity now

With closed loop billing the consignee will still get billed whether you turn in the billing copy of the ASD or not. I have 5 dropboxes and at least once a week I will get a letter with no billing copy---I just scan it and throw it in the tote with the others.

I add any prepaids that are handed to me to one of my dropboxes and, yes, I type in the 1Z if needed.

why would you wait till the dropbox to account for the pkg.?

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I, too enter in all ARS pkgs into one of my stops. We do not get credit for the pickup piece, although we do get credit for scanning a piece (it is not the same thing). This is based off of when we first instructed not to enter in unscheduled pickups, but rather just scan/add the extra pieces to the total of another stop (the only exception to this is if you do a pickup and you have no scheduled pickups, like on a split trip; you do not get credit for the stop, however).

some say this is an honesty issue, but I do not see it. The customer gets credit for/is billed for only the packages they ship through the program, not the number of packages we put in the totals screen, so they are not being defrauded (or unfairly helped) in any way. I get credit for every package I pick up and put into the car. Scanning a package twice (once in ARS, and then under the stop I'll add its number to) would be dishonest. Scanning and adding an ARS package to a pickup count is no different than scanning the end of day at a stop, recording those package totals as well as any packages that are ARS/RS left to be picked up with the regular packages.

DorkHead

I, too enter in all ARS pkgs into one of my stops. We do not get credit for the pickup piece, although we do get credit for scanning a piece (it is not the same thing). This is based off of when we first instructed not to enter in unscheduled pickups, but rather just scan/add the extra pieces to the total of another stop (the only exception to this is if you do a pickup and you have no scheduled pickups, like on a split trip; you do not get credit for the stop, however).

some say this is an honesty issue, but I do not see it. The customer gets credit for/is billed for only the packages they ship through the program, not the number of packages we put in the totals screen, so they are not being defrauded (or unfairly helped) in any way. I get credit for every package I pick up and put into the car. Scanning a package twice (once in ARS, and then under the stop I'll add its number to) would be dishonest. Scanning and adding an ARS package to a pickup count is no different than scanning the end of day at a stop, recording those package totals as well as any packages that are ARS/RS left to be picked up with the regular packages.

Wrong, it is different and it is dishonest

S

serenity now

but why wait? just accept the package, scan as prepaid, and be done with it. help me out here, why would you wait?

'Lord Brown's bidding'

[/B]

Wrong, it is different and it is dishonest

What is different, and what is dishonest? Furthermore, I presume that if they wanted, by using the origin scan to verify every package unloaded off my car and compare it to the number of packages I tallied up (again, ARS/RS packages are not included in that tally, but you do get credit for scanning the piece, which is in another screen). If they were to compare the two totals they'd see no discrepancy in my pickup totals, as there would be none. So how am I dishonest?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What is different, and what is dishonest? Furthermore, I presume that if they wanted, by using the origin scan to verify every package unloaded off my car and compare it to the number of packages I tallied up (again, ARS/RS packages are not included in that tally, but you do get credit for scanning the piece, which is in another screen). If they were to compare the two totals they'd see no discrepancy in my pickup totals, as there would be none. So how am I dishonest?

You are not being dishonest.

upsman68

I drive a delivery truck, I'm not the package policeman. I was told this by a sup a long time ago when I refused to pick up a package that didn't fit dimensions using the chain. Ever since then I don't give a rip if the packages are wrong or not, I pick them up unless they are dangerous to my safety.

Amen brother