Do they really want to fire all of us?

Have you been fired?

• Yes

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 68.3%

• Total voters

dudebro

Some managers see firing employees as improving the center by eliminating a bad employee. The thing is the center manager only has the BS numbers UPS created to go by so people get targeted sometimes when new managers come in to "fix" things at a bad center. This is where flying below the radar comes into play. But as long as you say you are doing your best, don't do anything dishonest and don't steal they can't touch you.
For most people, if you're actually DOING your best and not stealing, you won't be a target anyway.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I would bet at the minimum 80% of the drivers (guys and gals) I worked with were fired at one time in their career. One I know of was fired 3 times. I was once. Everyone but one got their job back. The one who didn't get it back never fought it--he was ready to quit anyway.
Exactly. One guy in our building has literally been fired 13 times. He's not a screw-up--He's a guy who stands up for himself and the previous management hated him.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
It also sounds like you have a strong local. I wish all locals were that strong!
If your local isn't as strong as you'd like, get involved and help to make it stronger. :)

We have a very strong local and we're not afraid to show it. We used to have a real :censored2: for a center manager who constantly would mess with the Union. On one occasion our BA was so sick of his nonsense and treatment of our guys that he actually screamed in the center manager's face with every other word being the friend bomb right in front of the whole center 5 minutes before PCM. The center manager tried to tell him to leave the property at which time he told him to friend off and laughed at him. It helped morale and the center manager scaled back his nonsense.

Dr.Brownz

For most people, if you're actually DOING your best and not stealing, you won't be a target anyway.

You have no idea what constitutes the best. I could run every stop and burn myself out or I could work at a reasonable pace and retire with maximum amounts of cartilage left in my knees. You only exist to push people beyond reasonable limits.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You have no idea what constitutes the best. I could run every stop and burn myself out or I could work at a reasonable pace and retire with maximum amounts of cartilage left in my knees. ...
I agree with the above with the qualification that one should always look for ways to work smarter and more efficiently and not fall into the rut of "going through the motions".

It's not an easy thing to do as a driver of 20 -40 years but it makes the job so much more interesting.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If your local isn't as strong as you'd like, get involved and help to make it stronger. :)

We have a very strong local and we're not afraid to show it. We used to have a real :censored2: for a center manager who constantly would mess with the Union. On one occasion our BA was so sick of his nonsense and treatment of our guys that he actually screamed in the center manager's face with every other word being the friend bomb right in front of the whole center 5 minutes before PCM. The center manager tried to tell him to leave the property at which time he told him to friend off and laughed at him. It helped morale and the center manager scaled back his nonsense.

Your BA acted in a very unprofessional manner when he chose to "chew out" the center manager in front of the members. Our BA would be justifiably banned from our building if he chose to do this.

Overpaid Union Thug

Your BA acted in a very unprofessional manner when he chose to "chew out" the center manager in front of the members. Our BA would be justifiably banned from our building if he chose to do this.
If the conversation got heated during a grievance hearing then the BA would have been allowed, by law, to have a short "cooling off period" and then come back. UPS can't simply ban a union official from their property for dropping friend Bombs while conducting union business. And definitely not for being unprofessional. Many supervisors would have to ban themselves on a daily basis.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If the conversation got heated during a grievance hearing then the BA would have been allowed, by law, to have a short "cooling off period" and then come back. UPS can't simply ban a union official from their property for dropping friend Bombs while conducting union business. And definitely not for being unprofessional. Many supervisors would have to ban themselves on a daily basis.

Such behavior would be acceptable behind closed doors--not in public and certainly not during a PCM where the intent is to embarrass.

dudebro

You have no idea what constitutes the best. I could run every stop and burn myself out or I could work at a reasonable pace and retire with maximum amounts of cartilage left in my knees. You only exist to push people beyond reasonable limits.
Telling a driver to curtail the 20 minutes of chit chat time on the clock with that cute receptionist is not going to tear up knee cartilage.

MobileBA

No they don't want to fire us all, they're afraid of the new unmotivated part time workforce that will become there future full time workforce.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
if you want street gred at my hub you have to be fired or have a whole bunch of warning letters. no one will respect you otherwise, ha ha.

in my book room I framed all my warning letters and they are on the wall. it makes me laugh to look at them, family thinks I am nuts to keep them.

and anyway, why would you quit after 21 years? You are in the backstretch man. before you know it you will be collecting 4 grand a month ( or whatever it is ) for the REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!

keep going.

Faceplanted

They don't want to really fire u all. They want to temporarily fire us to show us they own us. For a majority of workers, even the threat of them getting fired lights a fire under their ass to stop filing greviences, come in early to sort their truck, and do anything management asks for them all to keep a good name and stay under the radar

They already tried with me a few times and didn't get the results they were looking for.

As was said in office space:

"But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired. ”.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I would bet at the minimum 80% of the drivers (guys and gals) I worked with were fired at one time in their career. One I know of was fired 3 times. I was once. Everyone but one got their job back. The one who didn't get it back never fought it--he was ready to quit anyway.
You only got fired once... You asskisser!! Lol