Do they think im some kinda machine? cant make them happy.

JohnnyBoy12

Slowed it down some. I got 1600 scans. Get yelled at for the usual stuff. They had to stop the belt today and oh my goodness talk about having a cow. This belt never stops and blah blah blah. Well then they should get someone in there to help me out. Still think I'm working a bit too hard for them though. I find it hard to find a steady pace. I keep going faster and slower. Part time sup said the key to loading this load is speed. Gotta be quick. I just said yeah OK.

Really gonna work on finding that steady pace. I'm trying for that right at 300-310 range. Probably gonna get yelled at for doing over 100less an hour tomorrow, but i'm assuming that's all they can do is yell? Got Asked again If I think I can make top loader. Told him, probably not, I just wont be as great as you were.(or at least how good he tries and tells me he was at loading). He just laughed at what i said.
I honestly dont care to be the top I am perfectly happy with average. I dont care for any praise. Just leave me alone and let me do my job and leave. I dont want something "special" for top loader. Anything they could possibly get me wouldn't be worth killing myself over everyday. (had to rant a little.)

Also does anyone know where I could read the rules about the contract of what they can and can't make us do? What about joining the union?

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
After reading this how can anyone think that unions do not promote mediocrity?
Of course unions promote mediocrity. That's gonna happen anytime you tell someone they have 99.99% job security. Some will loosen up. Every system has pros and cons. The good that the union does far outweighs the bad. Johnnyboy's sups want to drive him until he burns out and can't do it anymore. They don't give one corn filled :censored2: if he gets hurt. That's what the union is there to protect us from.

You never worked in the hub. So let a hub worker tell you that you can't just bust out 600pph day after day. You will break down in months, if not weeks.

Johnnyboy, when they start hollering about how "this belt never gets turned off!" etc. Understand, that's your sups problem, not yours. Those are his numbers. I always tell them "Sounds like you need to get another loader in here then."
Especially on a belt that has as high volume as you say with so few loaders. It's the sups job to move people to the work, and if he doesn't have the people, he needs to talk to the FT sup about someone coming over.

Last edited:

Jackofalltrades

You call 300 an hour supposedly 'quick' lmao I'm 30-years-old with 12 ups hub years on this body and I can maintain 800 an hour. And btw save it whoever replies to this saying I'm stupid for doing so. Its called a workout and if you use the proper methods your body will be just fine in the long run. 300 an hour and I would kick you out of my trailer pfft

J

jibbs

You unload, Jack? Unloading 800 an hour and loading 300 an hour are separate situations. I'm not going to say which I think easier but loading is, at the very least, more time-consuming than unloading. pph's shouldn't be compared between unloaders and loaders (if that's what you're doing here. If not, I commend you for loading an average of 2850 packages between four cars given a minimum 3.5hrs of work a day. That's at least how the math would work out.)

Jackofalltrades

You unload, Jack? Unloading 800 an hour and loading 300 an hour are separate situations. I'm not going to say which I think easier but loading is, at the very least, more time-consuming than unloading. pph's, in my opinion, shouldn't be compared between unloaders and loaders (if that's what you're doing here. If not, I commend you for loading an average of 2850 packages between four cars given a minimum 3.5hrs of work a day. That's at least how the math would work out.)

No, I'm talking loading. Its not my everyday job anymore. I'm an article 22. I spend half the day sorting and half the day picking off. However, when i did load everyday i avg 800 pph. And I unload 70 pcs a minute. I usually on avg bust out a flat floor trailer in 17 min. I used to have two sorters to keep up with me. I kind of View it as a free membership to the gym where I also get paid.

I don't expect everyone to go my speed, give me 400 pph from my loader and ill be happy. 300 however is unacceptable imo.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You unload, Jack? Unloading 800 an hour and loading 300 an hour are separate situations. I'm not going to say which I think easier but loading is, at the very least, more time-consuming than unloading. pph's shouldn't be compared between unloaders and loaders (if that's what you're doing here. If not, I commend you for loading an average of 2850 packages between four cars given a minimum 3.5hrs of work a day. That's at least how the math would work out.)
jibbs...i think you misunderstood. They're talking about loaders trailers..not pc's. No one can maintain 800 pph loading pc's.

TheFigurehead

I don't expect everyone to go my speed, give me 400 pph from my loader and ill be happy. 300 however is unacceptable imo.

Fantastic. No one cares. Load as fast as you want. Your opinion of anyone's efforts means absolutely nothing, and has no effect on their job or personal life. UPS asks for 300 pph. Why would any of your coworkers care what you expect out of them?

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Sorry but I don't buy for a second that you loaded 4000 packages a night. Even if you did it before UPS allowed heavier packages and had us scan them all. That's a package every 4 seconds. No switching trailers, no pushing flow, no breaking jams, your trailer never getting slow. For 5 hours. Call me crazy but I've never seen a trailer get that much volume. My belt of 10 trailers typically only receives around 10k per night. If you were such a loader übermensch, they never would have let you go.

Last edited:

Box Ox

After reading this how can anyone think that unions do not promote mediocrity?

Loading the fastest a human can possibly accurately load while not getting hurt or burned out but not meeting impossible numbers management yanks out of its rear day after day does not equal mediocrity.

Box Ox

Really gonna work on finding that steady pace. I'm trying for that right at 300-310 range. Probably gonna get yelled at for doing over 100less an hour tomorrow, but i'm assuming that's all they can do is yell? Got Asked again If I think I can make top loader. Told him, probably not, I just wont be as great as you were.(or at least how good he tries and tells me he was at loading). He just laughed at what i said.
I honestly dont care to be the top I am perfectly happy with average. I dont care for any praise. Just leave me alone and let me do my job and leave. I dont want something "special" for top loader. Anything they could possibly get me wouldn't be worth killing myself over everyday. (had to rant a little.)

Also does anyone know where I could read the rules about the contract of what they can and can't make us do? What about joining the union?

Management doesn't care about any of us. They can't. They're under the gun from higher ups and they don't have the union to protect them. You'll never get paid more for being "top loader" and no one will ever really care. Management shoving it down your throat just keeps district from asking if they can't shove it up your A more. But they don't have the right to. You're 100% doing the right thing. Tell them you're working as best you can while staying safe. Injuries and misloads are on you.

Box Ox

What about joining the union?

Are you in a right to work state? Do it. If your shop steward is like mine he/she will be more likely to go to bat for you if they know you're a contributing member. And lots of the dues you'll pay weekly (about 1/2 of 1 hour salary) will come right back to you come tax time.

J

jibbs

I kind of View it as a free membership to the gym where I also get paid.

That's how I keep my sanity with all the little BS that goes on through the day. Paid workout with insurance benefits? Worth every stressor they throw at us.

jibbs...i think you misunderstood. They're talking about loaders trailers..not pc's. No one can maintain 800 pph loading pc's.

Definitely did. There's rarely trailers being loaded in my center so the thought didn't even occur to me.

Still pretty fast for loading, though, not gonna lie. I guess when you got a decade-plus experience the :censored2: just comes naturally.

And lots of the dues you'll pay weekly (about 1/2 of 1 hour salary) will come right back to you come tax time.

I think it's done differently depending on where you're working out of. My dues are once a month (out of my second paycheck of the month), 2 hours pay + $1.

Box Ox

I think it's done differently depending on where you're working out of. My dues are once a month (out of my second paycheck of the month), 2 hours pay + $1.

Sounds like it comes out to about the same amount. Might be the same official formula and I'm just doing the math differently.

Jackofalltrades

Sorry but I don't buy for a second that you loaded 4000 packages a night. Even if you did it before UPS allowed heavier packages and had us scan them all. That's a package every 4 seconds. No switching trailers, no pushing flow, no breaking jams, your trailer never getting slow. For 5 hours. Call me crazy but I've never seen a trailer get that much volume. My belt of 10 trailers typically only receives around 10k per night. If you were such a loader übermensch, they never would have let you go.

Every building operates differently. In my building you aren't assigned just one trailer, not even just one belt. You go where the flow is. Our shift only avg 3 1/2 hrs so it wasnt 4000 pcs. but it was close to 3000. And it is possible. And they let me go because I am a great pick off to. I lead my team and I lead my belt. Also, I have a great relationship withour managers because they respect my work ethic. Thats what hard work buys you...respect. it also doesn't hurt that I'm a shop steward and know the contract better than anyone in my building.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sometimes you have to slow down in order to last for the long haul. Someone with your seniority should know that.

I work to the best of my ability each and every day. Some days I work harder than others---it is all based on the dispatch---and there are days where I do have to slow down a bit so that I am not sitting around waiting for my 6pm mall drop box pickup.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I don't worry about their numbers. I worry about my numbers. Some days things just click and packages fly off the shelf. Other days it's like pulling teeth. Some days just punching out is a major accomplishment. They have yet to come up with a number that factors in that some days things just don't work out.