do we agree with "pick-up complaiance"

patrico

senior driver
since day 1 for me it was always not before 2:30 or after 5:00. is this a major factor in volume for us? feed-back please

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
i always heard the only reason we have some accounts is because they can ship all the way up until 8 at night.

worldport is one place that comes to mind. i think in one of the shows about it they were saying someone could come in at midnight and drop off a next day air and it would still make the sort...

seems like that is a great selling point for our reach

tourists24

I see the concept but like everything else at UPS, it always looks good from an office printout..... our center is really on this lately (plus or minus 15 minutes of a given time). It causes huge problems from running a route with any common sense.... But the best thing to do is like everything else. Turn your brain off and give them exactly what they demand no matter how stupid it ends up being. On my route it usually means running an extra 15 to 20 miles any given day but eh,,, gotta make the reports look good

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I remember when I qualifying I asked my sup why I was doing a pick up at noon that was scheduled for 3pm. She told me we would be too far away from the area when 3pm rolled around and as long as they said it was ok and were ready that I should pick it up. I said, doesn't it show up somewhere or throw a red flag? She told me, yeah, but no one cares. years later, here we are.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Its a worthy goal, and for the most part I think our customers do like having a consistent pickup time. The problem starts when we attach a quota to it and become obsessed with generating metrics rather than making smart business decisions. Many of the metrics that we are supposed to generate can be in direct conflict with one another (SPORH vs. P/U compliance vs. on-trace delivery %) with the result being that any action we take to get off of one report will simply cause us to show up on a different one.

My job is to service the customer. My management team only services the metric.

over9five

Staff member
I'll tell you what I don't like about p/u compliance.

The management team will change your scheduled p/u time in your DIAD so that maybe you are more likely to be in the window.
But they don't bother to tell the customer they changed the time!

This tells me we are not doing it for the customer.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I'll tell you what I don't like about p/u compliance.

The management team will change your scheduled p/u time in your DIAD so that maybe you are more likely to be in the window.
But they don't bother to tell the customer they changed the time!

This tells me we are not doing it for the customer.

Exactly, They go over our pickup compliance every day and ask if any of the pickups we were off by more than 15 minutes can be changed in the DIAD to get you in compliance. If this is something that was a service guaranteed to the customer then I would say lets go all out and make damn sure we are in the 15 minute window, but if it is simply some bull sh//report to make someone at a desk look good who cares!! I am all for consistency and I agree the customers should know when to expect their driver for pickup within a few minutes, but generating a useless report and making drivers run extra miles and time just to make that report look good is poor bussiness decision!! We have drivers being told to break off an area 10-15 miles away from their pick-up area to make sure they are within the 15 minute window, go make their 10 pickups, them drive the 10-15 miles back to finish the 5 stops they have left that they could have finished in 10-15 minutes if they did not break off, and all the pickups would have been made just fine with no service failures or complaints. Why???? I would think the opposite would be true if you were really worried about being profitable!!!!!!

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I have found over the years I have worked for UPS that we care less and less for the customers. We seem to care only about numbers.

I have the feeling future business classes in college will study how and why UPS failed.

tourists24

We have drivers being told to break off an area 10-15 miles away from their pick-up area to make sure they are within the 15 minute window, go make their 10 pickups, them drive the 10-15 miles back to finish the 5 stops they have left that they could have finished in 10-15 minutes if they did not break off, and all the pickups would have been made just fine with no service failures or complaints. Why???? I would think the opposite would be true if you were really worried about being profitable!!!!!!
This is exactly what is happening here.... it gets so bad I simply tell them once how stupid it is. If that doesnt phase them I shut the brain off and do it exactly the way they want it.