Do We Cross Informational Picket Lines?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Looks like Verizon went on strike today so it's not an informational picket line anymore.

yeah, drove by this morning around 9 and they were out there--came back after an hour or so and they were gone. There were signs with the word "evil" all over the building. The "l" was a play on the "Z" in Verizon.

If they are back out there tomorrow morning I will ask my mgt team how I should sheet their pkgs as I will be honoring their picket line.

705red

Browncafe Steward
yeah, drove by this morning around 9 and they were out there--came back after an hour or so and they were gone. There were signs with the word "evil" all over the building. The "l" was a play on the "Z" in Verizon.

If they are back out there tomorrow morning I will ask my mgt team how I should sheet their pkgs as I will be honoring their picket line.

Wheres Upstae and what have you done with him?

Hell must be freexing over because you have been giving some union advice!

hembone

The diad actually has a button for on strike.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The diad actually has a button for on strike.

I know--I want to see if they want the pkgs held at the center so that I don't even have to deal with it or if they want me to use the Strike option.

On a side note--could there possibly be a worse time (other than during the Depression) for a strike?

hembone

I know--I want to see if they want the pkgs held at the center so that I don't even have to deal with it or if they want me to use the Strike option.

On a side note--could there possibly be a worse time (other than during the Depression) for a strike?

Couldn't agree more.

UPSGUY72

When would be a good time for a strike ??

hembone

They will probally get you to pull the packages off so that a management person can go deliver them.

hembone

When would be a good time for a strike ??

Maybe I look at things from a narrow point of view, the part-timers could probally make a good case, but when I left UPS I was making almost 30.00 dollars an hour, had 8 weeks off a year, could get almost any day off I wanted, had good health insurance, and a great retirement. I don't think the average American worker is going to feel too sorry for me. I will say this for Ron Carey, and I've never been a big Carey man, but he did pull off a great strike. He made us look like the "good guys" and UPS like the "bad guys". I once read that a higher-up UPS offical said "if we knew we were going up against part-time America we would have handled this strike differently. We thought we were going up against the Teamsters". Carey's catch phrase " Part-time America won't work" caught on. Believe me UPS will not be caught with their pants down like that again, and I think Hoffa and hall know it.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree, there will always be an excuse of why it is not a good time, and the company banks most workers will buy into the fear.

What you call fear I call reality. I drove by the Verizon picket line yesterday and found myself shaking my head in disbelief. This was before I had a chance to research the issue. Most people will not research the issue and will form an opinion based upon their own personal situation.

I would think that we can all agree that 1997 was a far better time to strike than 2011.

steward71

BECAUSE THAT WILL ALWAYS BE THE CASE. It is what the job attracts. That should not be the entire voice though. Uninformed workers need to be informed, yes. A vast amount just never will be. 18 year olds are what drive our union? With zero interest? It is our duty to make sure they are informed if only by actually attempting. If they still choose not to have a voice, so be it then. But the attempt just is not there even by the union right now. You must understand there are still huge numbers of part timers who want to move up and who take this place as a serious option for a career. You can't let us drown because you made it and now feel we can't help ourselves. It is SET UP TO BE THAT WAY.

well I have to say the little boy i was calling you in a pass post has grown up to big boy pants, now you are talking, you are right full timers should care about the part timers and part timers should care about the full timers. i have to agree with the rest your postes as well,l call you big boy now, just kidding hello world, good job on your post.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
Our IAM&AW contract always expires a year after the Teamsters (hence the joke we get the scraps that fell from the table), in 1997 it was reported if the IAM went on strike, would the Teamsters (at least in our area) honor our picket line? I'm told the answer was "No"!

The waters weren't tested so I don't know what would have really happened.

brown_trousers

To be blunt, why should I concern myself with the part-timers if they are not concerned about themselves?

thats an interesting argument... Why then should part-timers concern themselves with driver's issues when you need to strike again. Maybe all us part-timers could just keep working while the drivers go on strike, and then see how successful that strike is. Maybe we should be a little more concerned about looking out for our fellow coworkers whether they ask for it or not. I believe its called being a good samaritan, or well.... just a decent human being.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

thats an interesting argument... Why then should part-timers concern themselves with driver's issues when you need to strike again. Maybe all us part-timers could just keep working while the drivers go on strike, and then see how successful that strike is. Maybe we should be a little more concerned about looking out for our fellow coworkers whether they ask for it or not. I believe its called being a good samaritan, or well.... just a decent human being.

Interesting counterpoint. Unfortunately if the drivers do choose to strike the PTers will have no choice but to follow suit as they will be locked out.

The one area that I am concerned with in regard to PTers is pay. I would gladly accept a pay freeze if the starting pay for PTers would be increased substantially.