Do we deserve $32+/hour

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There is no objective universal standard for compensation, ultimately your labor is worth whatever someone is willing to pay you for it. If UPS is willing to pay us $32+/hour then that's what our labor is worth to them. We deserve it because we negotiated a contract for it.

Best post I have seen on this subject in years.

barnyard

KTM rider
Of course we think we deserve whatever we make.

Duh.

Turn that around now.

Do teachers deserve what they make??? Should they make more??? Are you will to pay higher property taxes to pay higher salaries??

We are asking people to pay more and more to ship a package. If we think we deserve what we are paid, then we darn well ought to provide the service that goes a long with it.

Think about that the next time you turn your nose up at a more expensive pair of American made shoes and buy the cheaper Asian versions.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
While there is no denying the physical nature and amount of stress that we deal with on a daily basis, we must keep in mind that ours is a job which requires only a driver's license and HS diploma. Yes, we are overpaid----I think a more appropriate wage would be closer to $25/hr.

Actually no. Our job requires problem
Solving skills. People skills, a better than average work ethic, the ability to not only not to get in accidents but to avoid anyone else from hitting u, all while being physic and reading management's mind.

Most people don't have all that rolled into one.

Nolimitz

I say absolutely yes! Fed-Ex makes a comparable wage and look what they do!

You are miss informed: After 3 years as an Express driver I still make less than $15 an hour. It will take 20+ yrs to reach a top out of 22.75ish
i ave 100 stops a day on a rte 3 time as big as yours. cut the comparable BS it aint fact

Last edited by a moderator:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Honestly from my experience a pissed off driver works harder than a happy driver.

Depends if that's a package or feeder driver.

This obviously isn't everyone. I refuse to let them get me riled up and skip break and run around and speed just to get off at a decent time. Even if that means leaving at 9-10 when I have a 4-6 hour drive ahead of me on a Friday.

I've seen someone make the comment on here before that they don't get off after 6 ever. They do whatever they need to to be off by then. Don't remember who it was but that's a drive that on some days is obviously working safer than others.

thedownhillEXPRESS

You are miss informed: After 3 years as an Express driver I still make less than $15 an hour. It will take 20+ yrs to reach a top out of 22.75ish
i ave 100 stops a day on a rte 3 time as big as yours. cut the comparable BS it aint fact

Agree.
15 years here and currently making a tad above 20 dollars an hour, we pay nearly 400 a month for our benefits also.
And Ground does it for half of my pay with NO benefits.
You deserve it without a doubt, but the power of corporations are gutting your future by bringing down everyone else's wages, you are the outlier.
Fedex profited billions last too, but we received no raise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Does the word "deserve" denote a certain sense of entitlement?

Sure it does.
I'm betting the word "entitle" is right next to "deserve" in the thesaurus.
This word gets a bad rap due to it's affiliation with government handouts.
In this context, the word is fitting and the "entitlement" is most certainly earned.

So everybody join me in saying; YES WE DO DESERVE $32+/HR!!!!!

Main Entry: deserve  [dih-zurv] Show IPA
Part of Speech:verb
Definition:be entitled to
Synonyms:be given one's due, be in line for, be worthy of, demand, earn, gain, get, get comeuppance, get what is coming to one, have it coming, have the right to, justify, lay claim to, merit, procure, rate, warrant, win

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Mock me all you want but it is still my opinion that we will see a two-tiered wage structure, with a lower start out/top out and longer progression, for new FT hires, if not in 2013 then certainly in 2020.

yawn.....stop beating the dead horse...we all know you want a two tier wage system...you don't have to tell everybody that 1000 times....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This past Peak I had a kid in his young 20's as my helper. Within the first hour he was delivering residentials on his own and by the end of the day he was delivering commercials on his own. By the end of the 2nd day he was delivering stops within a medical office complex by himself and by the end of the first week he was doing multiple left-ats. I would have felt comfortable with him delivering CODs and sheeting call tags as well. He was doing all this for the grand total of $9/hr. Are you saying that I was working $23/hr harder than this kid?

$25/hr and profit sharing.

You aren't an owner in this company so to be given profit sharing or stock and have that be part of your benefits package will never happen. There's a reason it took UPS years to offer their non management people the chance to purchase stock..

purplesky

With so many jobs in feeders now getting no overtime drivers are only making about $67000 per year. Thats just not alot of money and if you think it is than you have an income problem.

There really is no other comparable job in America to measure against what a UPS driver does on a daily basis. Most package drivers cant even walk out of the building without some kind of limp after 15 years of service.

There are customers in my area that pay my entire salary in 2 days with 53footers that are almost 100% everyday. No wonder UPS HAS BILLIONS LEFTOVER FOR PROFIT AFTER THEY PAY $32.00hr.

Its good money BUT YOU WONT GET RICH BEING A UPS DRIVER.:wink2:

Buck Fifty

There is no objective universal standard for compensation, ultimately your labor is worth whatever someone is willing to pay you for it. If UPS is willing to pay us $32+/hour then that's what our labor is worth to them. We deserve it because we negotiated a contract for it.

:goodpost: