Do we get paid...

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Article 29: Jury Duty

When a seniority employee is called for jury duty service, he/she shall be excused from his/her regular duties on the days he/she is required to appear in court or comply with jury rules that prevent him/her from reporting for work. For any regularly scheduled work- day in which time off for such jury service is granted, the full-time employee shall be paid his/her guarantee and the part-time employ- ee shall receive four (4) hours’ pay at his/her straight-time hourly rate, less any amount received as a jury duty fee if such fees are defined as wages under applicable laws. The employee shall be required, however, to turn over to the Employer adequate proof of his/her jury duty service and compensation, if any, in order to receive the compensation above provided.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I love jury duty, I wish they would call me more often. I'll take a book to read while I'm sitting around while they do interviews. Normally they will give us two hours for lunch and then release us the rest of the day after we report back. Easy money. I never get picked because of my answers to the defense attorneys. "Take him out back with a firing squad after the trial" seems to not be what they are looking for in a juror.

rod

Retired 22 years
I love jury duty, I wish they would call me more often. I'll take a book to read while I'm sitting around while they do interviews. Normally they will give us two hours for lunch and then release us the rest of the day after we report back. Easy money. I never get picked because of my answers to the defense attorneys. "Take him out back with a firing squad after the trial" seems to not be what they are looking for in a juror.

I've sat in on probably 12 or 15 jury pool selection days. For some reason every case (criminal or civil) involved alcohol so they always asked the jury pool if anyone had anything against alcohol. If you said you did-- you were automatically dismissed. I enjoyed jury duty much better than freezing my butt off in a UPS truck.

Hi, I am a full time package car driver in the Local 804. I got selected for a trial for which I'm still serving. Today we recessed the case at lunch due to scheduling conflicts with the judge. I proceeded to go home and realized I had a package in my car that needed to go out via UPS. I stopped by the local lunch meet, said hello to the drivers and dropped off my package. A short while afterwards I received a call from my center manager about my jury service. Am I being followed? Am I required to report to work on a short day of jury service? What is the exact protocol for jury service when it is not a full day? Thanks in advance.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hi, I am a full time package car driver in the Local 804. I got selected for a trial for which I'm still serving. Today we recessed the case at lunch due to scheduling conflicts with the judge. I proceeded to go home and realized I had a package in my car that needed to go out via UPS. I stopped by the local lunch meet, said hello to the drivers and dropped off my package. A short while afterwards I received a call from my center manager about my jury service. Am I being followed? Am I required to report to work on a short day of jury service? What is the exact protocol for jury service when it is not a full day? Thanks in advance.

Recessed for the day or to be rescheduled for a later date?

In either case you should have called your mgt team and let them know what was going on.

It was not a smart move to meet up with the boys for lunch.

upschuck

Sounds like either they were watching your fellow drivers breaks, or one of them ratted you out. Doubt they were following you.

The master says that you are excused for your days work, and since supplements cannot be any worse than the master(Art 2), you are fine, as long as you have your jury duty slip.