Do you agree with "tipping" at restaurants?

Do you agree with tipping?

• No, I don't

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • No, but I tip because of social expectations

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Yes, I agree with it

Votes: 23 92.0%

• Total voters

washington57

I'm not incapable of performing basic math- I just don't like tipping and would prefer if prices just had total cost opposed to the cost before tax and tip.

Pay the waitstaff more, raise your prices. If the service is bad I will eat somewhere else next time. No need to lord the tip over wait staff. If they suck and customers aren't returning then the boss will have to take action.

Just because you don't like my pet peeve of eating out doesn't mean I don't know how to do simple math.

I'm not incapable of performing basic math- I just don't like tipping and would prefer if prices just had total cost opposed to the cost before tax and tip.

Pay the waitstaff more, raise your prices. If the service is bad I will eat somewhere else next time. No need to lord the tip over wait staff. If they suck and customers aren't returning then the boss will have to take action.

Just because you don't like my pet peeve of eating out doesn't mean I don't know how to do simple math.

So by your logic when your delivering to a regular stop at peak it will be perfectly ok if they just say "You're paid enough" and close the door in your face?

washington57

There is a difference between the social expectation of tipping wait staff every time you eat and getting a tip once a year.

Also, whenever I've driven during peak and received a tip I was asked to give it to the normal driver. I've never gotten a tip but I do my job well with a high level of service.

You can't compare tipping at restaurants and tipping the UPS guy.

There is a difference between the social expectation of tipping wait staff every time you eat and getting a tip once a year.

Also, whenever I've driven during peak and received a tip I was asked to give it to the normal driver. I've never gotten a tip but I do my job well with a high level of service.

Absolutely I can. I took care of my route above and beyond because they were my people. And it was reflected during peak. I was tipped when I was a kid working restaurants. It's all about service.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I've worked in the hub for almost 11 years. Wtf did you expect, a NASA scientist?
Honey, if we were rocket scientist we would be making a hell of a lot more money that what we are. It's all good. Of course basic math is a requirement to graduate HS. Just sayin..............

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Girls math. $17.99 dinner. take away the decimal point, 1799. Slash off the last digit. 179 round up to 180. 180+180= 360. 360 = $3.60(20% tip). I didn't add tax to the equation, but you get my point.
I actually wait til I get the bill, so I have a final total, but YA that about sums it up.

Now, just to be a sticky wick-- who figures the tip pre-tax and post-tax? Not that it makes that much difference but I'm sure there are those cheapskates that do.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

And there is the 'qualifier'. Yes, we can compare the 2. It's very simple. We provide a service just like the waitress does.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I actually wait til I get the bill, so I have a final total, but YA that about sums it up.

Now, just to be a sticky wick-- who figures the tip pre-tax and post-tax? Not that it makes that much difference but I'm sure there are those cheapskates that do.

Thats the nice part about living in Oregon---no sales tax!

If I get good service I always calculate the tip as 20% and then round it up to the next dollar. Its easier than trying to figure 15%, all you do is figure 1/10th of the bill X2. When I go to nice restraunts I am frequently underdressed, but I always overtip. I did my time as a waiter and busboy, I know how hard those people work and in my opinion only an :censored2: stiffs a waitress on a tip. As far as receiving tips during peak, I try to discourage it. It makes me feel uncomfortable, especially when I know that I am already making over twice as much per hour as the person who wants to give me the tip. I would never want a customer to feel that the service they get from me is in any way related to the tip or gift that they give to me. Whats funny is, I deliver to a lot of vineyards and wineries and most of them wind up giving me a nice bottle of wine for Christmas. I dont have the heart to tell them that I dont drink any more, so I graciously accept the wine and take it home to my wife who loves a good bottle of wine.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Thats the nice part about living in Oregon---no sales tax!

If I get good service I always calculate the tip as 20% and then round it up to the next dollar. Its easier than trying to figure 15%, all you do is figure 1/10th of the bill X2. When I go to nice restraunts I am frequently underdressed, but I always overtip. I did my time as a waiter and busboy, I know how hard those people work and in my opinion only an :censored2: stiffs a waitress on a tip. As far as receiving tips during peak, I try to discourage it. It makes me feel uncomfortable, especially when I know that I am already making over twice as much per hour as the person who wants to give me the tip. I would never want a customer to feel that the service they get from me is in any way related to the tip or gift that they give to me. Whats funny is, I deliver to a lot of vineyards and wineries and most of them wind up giving me a nice bottle of wine for Christmas. I dont have the heart to tell them that I dont drink any more, so I graciously accept the wine and take it home to my wife who loves a good bottle of wine.
We have quite a few vineyards around here as well. I have received a bottle or two of wine. I agree with the discouraging but I have learned one thing. It is generally the older folks that tip and trying to argue (not literally) with them about giving a tip is pointless. The younger generation rarely tips. Cultural differences, I suppose.

over9five

Staff member
I agree. Trying to get out of taking a tip from some people is more likely to insult them.

I was never comfortable taking money, I loved best when some grateful housewife (heh heh heh) would give me homemade cookies or something.

When it was someone residential offering a tip I would try and get out of it but if they insisted I'd ask them if they went to church. If they did I'd tell them to put it in the basket for me because I could use the brownie points.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When it was someone residential offering a tip I would try and get out of it but if they insisted I'd ask them if they went to church. If they did I'd tell them to put it in the basket for me because I could use the brownie points.

You could always accept the tip and put it in the first red kettle that you see.