Do you clean your own pants AND the inside of your package car?

BoogaBooga

We have not had laundry or clothing repair services for a LONG time. We have no interior cleaning of the package cars either. Of course I wash my work clothes. I have resorted to cleaning the interior of the cab and cargo areas myself, because I dislike having black aluminum oxide ground into my hands. Car washers say they would like to clean the interiors, but barely have enough allotted time to wash and park. Just another example of UPS cutting cutting costs too far?

We have not had laundry or clothing repair services for a LONG time. We have no interior cleaning of the package cars either. Of course I wash my work clothes. I have resorted to cleaning the interior of the cab and cargo areas myself, because I dislike having black aluminum oxide ground into my hands. Car washers say they would like to clean the interiors, but barely have enough allotted time to wash and park. Just another example of UPS cutting cutting costs too far?
grive it son.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I'm with you on this. It's filthy on our hands, what does it do to our lungs?

Has anyone noticed that the mice at UPS are younger these days?

The Effects of Aluminum Oxide on the Lungs of Mice

I couldn't help but detect you're usual sarcasm in this post. I'd be willing to bet my wife and children wouldn't see the humor the same way you do. Fret not, I won't hold it against you. In fact, I'd expect nothing less from Atlanta pantywaist. At least you got out alive, amirite?

I did too. Windex on the windows and cab area and swept out the package area (tote box comes in handy). The way some package drivers and feeder drivers keep their vehicles, you assume they live in a pigsty.
its funny. The car washers jump at cleaning out my truck. It must be earned respect or because I'm a neat FREAK.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I couldn't help but detect you're usual sarcasm in this post. I'd be willing to bet my wife and children wouldn't see the humor the same way you do. Fret not, I won't hold it against you. In fact, I'd expect nothing less from Atlanta pantywaist. At least you got out alive, amirite?

I'm no pantywaist ... anymore.

​The police made me stop wearing my wife's panties ... the ones with the pink feathers.
I told my wife it made me think about her and I only did it while driving under the influence of Merle Haggard.
The police thought I might be hiding something because the car did swerve on occasion.
I don't think he had ever seen a man wearing pink panties before.
'Forever' - The Video - Billy Bob Thornton - YouTube

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
In the 13 years I've worked at UPS, we've never had laundry service.

Only the package cars that travel down dirt roads see their interior hosed down here. Heck, we have an automatic car wash and it's infrequently used ... it sees its most action during the winter, when salt is washed off the package cars -- and even then we're talking about bi-weekly. It seems that after awhile, somebody -- either the regular driver, substitute driver, the Preloader or a managerial employee -- will pick up most of the garbage within the package car. And in recent months, I've seen air envelopes promoting the 1996 Olympics, calendars from the late 1990s/early 2000s, and all sorts of aging junk in the metal racks within the package cars. They're aggressively replacing the fleet here, though (but we are one of the largest delivery facilities in the country), and the new package cars do not have the metal storage racks.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire

I'm no pantywaist ... anymore.

​The police made me stop wearing my wife's panties ... the ones with the pink feathers.
I told my wife it made me think about her and I only did it while driving under the influence of Merle Haggard.
The police thought I might be hiding something because the car did swerve on occasion.
I don't think he had ever seen a man wearing pink panties before.
'Forever' - The Video - Billy Bob Thornton - YouTube

The first step to recovery is: Admitting you have a problem.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I clean my vehicle once a week at time and half. Works just fine for me.

Depending on the time of year, I wind up cleaning my windows and mirrors every day or two. On the clock, of course.

I have a rural route with a lot of gravel roads so trying to keep the truck spotless is pretty much a lost cause. Once the dust gets bad enough though, I will park over in front of the auto shop and use their air compressor and hose to blow out the cab. I also throw all my trash out every day, I cannot stand compulsive hoarding or having garbage/pop cans/food wrappers/debris crammed into every nook and cranny of the car. I do keep a small tote on shelf 4 behind my handcart, but the ONLY things I keep in it are spare tire chains, a tow rope, a compact first-aid kit and a couple of bags of doggy biscuits. My wire storage rack has nothing in it except for a squeegee, a tape gun and a ziploc baggie with extra pens and delivery notices. Other than that, I keep the car stripped out and empty of all clutter. Less is more.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

MitEman, do you take the tax write-off for the maintenance of your uniforms? I use $10/week ($520/yr) for my calculations.

I deliver in the city so I don't get nearly the dirt in the cargo area that I used to get when I had a country run; however, I still try to sweep it out every other week and will wash it out when sweeping just doesn't cut it. We have a 22.3 (former driver) who does her best to keep the cabs clean, usually doing 3-4 each morning.

S

serenity now

when i first saw the title of the thread (with the emphasis on the word and ) i assumed that someone had narrowly avoided a head on collision

Camping Nana

MitEman, do you take the tax write-off for the maintenance of your uniforms? I use $10/week ($520/yr) for my calculations.

I deliver in the city so I don't get nearly the dirt in the cargo area that I used to get when I had a country run; however, I still try to sweep it out every other week and will wash it out when sweeping just doesn't cut it. We have a 22.3 (former driver) who does her best to keep the cabs clean, usually doing 3-4 each morning.

I am not "MitEman" - but yes, if you have enough other misc deductions - definitely take this write off. To me, $10 sounds fair, but ask you tax accountant to be certain.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am not "MitEman" - but yes, if you have enough other misc deductions - definitely take this write off. To me, $10 sounds fair, but ask you tax accountant to be certain.

Tax accountant? Other than those of us who have complex tax situations (rental properties, businesses), I would suspect that most of us do not need to use an accountant to do our taxes. My "tax accountant" is H&R Block Deluxe tax software.

I write off about $1,900 in unreimbursed job expenses each year, which includes union dues and uniform accessories/maintenance.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If you don't clean your own truck, who will?

I use quick wax to clean. Get all the crud off quickly and@smells nice. Shelves get a quick wipe. Windows get rain-x on the sides.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I did too.
Windex on the windows and cab area and swept out the package area (tote box comes in handy).

The way some package drivers and feeder drivers keep their vehicles, you assume they live in a pigsty.

How long did you drive for, again? 18 months? Please, more advice...