Do You feel Hoffa will win?

Solidarity413

Why would I compare it to Scott Davis'?
I think we know how he threw them under the bus. The last contract was a joke for part-timers.
What about the IBT's actions on SurePost? hall has said he's not going to do a thing on it and not to grieve it.
Come on man, you can't honestly defend Hoffa at UPS. And the rest of our industries he's even worse.

None of those other candidates even have a full ticket. I see no chance for them. As far as what has Hoffa done for part-timers it doesnt matter because it's been proven time and again that they just don't vote.

steward71

You are right about the part-timers don't vote, but I'm part time and do vote. I just know in our local Yellow/Roadway, ABF, Kroger, and at UPS many others they are stating they are feed up with Hoffa and the locals not doing a thing. Me I will vote for who I feel will do the best for all not just part-timers. I also know part-timers need to step up the to plate and do what has to be done in the locals. I know I have had many full time and part timers UPSers in my building tell me to run for local in my area. They know what I do at my full time job and what I can get done. One Full timer saw me in at my full time job and was there for the whole issue and stated to me after that I should run. I told him I would never win because the part-timers don't vote. A week later I'm going out of the building to my car and two full time drivers stated they heard what I did at my full time job and stated they would vote for me. Again it is getting the part-timers to vote and told them it would never happen. I never wanted to or dreamed of running. But the more I think about it its an idea.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND

At our local, we had a BA that was at best lazy and very slovenly when it came to doing his job. At worst, he was a thief, liar, two faced, dishonest in his dealings with the people in his local. All except a close knit group of feeder drivers. They supported him, and were on the board.

We had a part time car washer that had the burning desire to change things. While he did not know exactly how everything was done, he was honest, willing to learn, and willing to listen and study what he was taught for himself.

While the election was close, he won. The next election was a run away, because of the positive impact he had on our local, not only because of the finances of the local, but the moral. No, everything is not perfect. But there have been a ton of positive moves.

As far as Mr Hall is concerned, in every dealing I have had with him in person, if his lips are moving, he is lying. With the exception of one grievance which he declined to present at arbitration because of an "agreement" with UPS on another case. Basically, he traded my grievance, which I would have won, for someone else to get their job back.

While I am very glad the employee got their job back, I believe each case should be heard on its own merit, without back room deals being made.

d

TheKid

Solidarity ? How much do you think the Teamsters as a business are worth ? Next ask yourself how much the President of that "company" should make ?

TheKid

And just for the record, I think the fact that part-timers' rate has increased $0.50 in 25yrs. (since I was a PT) is an absolute shame.

Solidarity413

Solidarity ? How much do you think the Teamsters as a business are worth ? Next ask yourself how much the President of that "company" should make ?

Hey Brother,

I get that it's easy to compare us to a company, however I don't find it helpful or even accurate. I don't want to hijack the thread to talk about it, but I'd be more than happy to have a conversation through PM or in a different thread. I disagree with the premise that a Union should operate like a company. We are not SEIU and we shouldn't act that way.

@407 It is unfortunate that either have a full slate but that doesn't mean they can't win. And if the reason part-timers get the shaft is because they don't vote I think the labor board would like to hear Hoffa say that ;). Officials take an oath to protect, defend, and fight for every member regardless of status.

ram 2009

I certainlly hope that hoffa will not win. He done nothing for the master freight and sold out ups freight on that white paper contract

TheKid

I agree . . . and I just realized I did not answer the question. Yes . . I think he will win.

P.S. Meet me in Chat sometimes. I love a good discussion.

bellesmom

I hope Hoffa doesn't win but after 19 years of UPS nothing surprises me anymore.

I see posts where BA's are voted on and wish we had the option. Our BA's are appointed by the local leadership, members do not have a voice in it.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I hope he doesn't win. As for part timers? 4 hours work -all health benefits -vacation- sick. After their progression. The casual driver is the one every one forgets about. Most of you have no idea what they are. Hoffa/Obama one in the same. Puppets

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I do not feel confident with any candidate.

If UPS goes down the '97 trails and tries to break down the Teamsters, you had better believe there will be no call for action from Hoffa.

That is what concerns me.

It can all be taken away in a moments notice, the kid..

TheKid

I do not feel confident with any candidate.

If UPS goes down the '97 trails and tries to break down the Teamsters, you had better believe there will be no call for action from Hoffa.

That is what concerns me.

It can all be taken away in a moments notice, the kid..
I know how quickly we could lose it all.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I think that every 22.3 combo who has their full time jobs changed back to part time can be counted as an anti-hoffa vote.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I think that unfortunately Hoffa will win again. His campaign spent three times what Tom L did the last election. I don't know of anybody strong enough nationally to take him down.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I think that every 22.3 combo who has their full time jobs changed back to part time can be counted as an anti-hoffa vote.

You're correct.
Problem being, there are a maximum of 20,000 22/3 employees.
10% would be a high number of eliminated jobs, making that an insignificant voting demographic.
I will admit it is an exploitable weakness, which is why I believe Hoffa will address it this summer at the convention.
Hoffa in a prearranged side deal with the company, will announce at the convention that he has put the screws to UPS and all 20,000 22/3 jobs will be bid.
When it happens, remember where you heard it first.

You're correct.
Problem being, there are a maximum of 20,000 22/3 employees.
10% would be a high number of eliminated jobs, making that an insignificant voting demographic.
I will admit it is an exploitable weakness, which is why I believe Hoffa will address it this summer at the convention.
Hoffa in a prearranged side deal with the company, will announce at the convention that he has put the screws to UPS and all 20,000 22/3 jobs will be bid.
When it happens, remember where you heard it first.
That's funny I heard just about the same thing.