Do you have a route that gets cut?

NonDeliverOtherMissed

I am a full time driver and my full time route gets cuts every Monday and sometimes Friday's. Most of the time they will put me on another route, or some days I will get the day off. Sometimes they give me the option to work but of coarse I always decline. Just wondering if anyone else has this same situation and what they do. Also, is there anything in the contract about this? I know as a full time driver I'm guaranteed 8 hours but IMO I think they should give me a choice of the routes that need covered for that day or the option of taking the day off, as long as they have cover drivers to cover.

billerz

There are multiple routes in my center that are bid on even though they are split/junk routes. When they cut them (at least twice a week) those drivers swing. They rarely get the day off, so that's a plus for you that you have that option.

Re-Raise

When they cut my route, I have the option to follow my work and bump any driver delivering packages from my route with less seniority.

The person I bump then goes to the bottom of the vacation coverage.

It doesn't suck too badly for me because I know the combo route pretty well.

They never give me the option to not work.

Grey

The most annoying drivers are the ones that have routes yet bid on other weekly routes bumping younger guys off 9.5

Re-Raise

710 language...Article 8 Section 3.

If an Employee's package route is temporarily eliminated he/she will have the ability to follow any portion of their route as seniority allows. The displaced driver will displace any junior coverage driver. The displaced coverage driver will work as directed.

I have asked if I have to work when my route is cut. They always respond that seniority gives me a right to work, not the right not to work.

NonDeliverOtherMissed

A Monday here and there is nice to have off..can't really afford to take off Monday AND Friday. The route that gets most of my route when it's cut, the driver has more seniority than me. The other two routes that get part of my route I don't know so usually I'll take the day off. I am NOT running anything blind anymore. I've been around long enough not to be doing that. Plus, it's so damn hard saying no when givin the option of taking the day. I will be bidding of this route when the next selection comes up, beginning of next year I believe?

wayfair

swollen member
The most annoying drivers are the ones that have routes yet bid on other weekly routes bumping younger guys off 9.5

Are you saying bid route drivers can actually bid a different route??
I bid my route last year, it's a 3 year bid(used to be 2 years)

Grey

Are you saying bid route drivers can actually bid a different route??
I bid my route last year, it's a 3 year bid(used to be 2 years)

Yes. Management loves it.

If you have a permanent route and it's in 4 days or less they can bid on a weekly route whether it's up b/c a driver is on vacation or in feeder. It limits route for true cover drivers to be on the same route for a week.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Demand your 8 hours and totally tank any :censored2: route they stick you on. They will then leave your route alone and find another to cut.
I used this method. Works well.

The key is acting (and working) like you know zero about doing any other route than your own.

ManInBrown

Yup. Every Monday and sometimes Fridays. I always work anyway. On those days I get put on a route that is in. Be it a driver on vacation or an open route.

The way it works here is, if they have me on a route of a driver who is on vacation than I have to work. I don't have the option of going home. Seniority gives you the right to work, not the right to not work. But they can't put me in a route of a driver who is at work, but wants the day. Doesn't work like that. Because then you are giving that driver the right to not work. Even if they have more seniority than me. Doesn't matter. I always want to work anyway so that's besides the point.

I can't follow my work because the 3 or 4 drivers it gets put on, all have more seniority then me.

Last edited: