Do you have any respect for drivers who never worked on the inside?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I wish my preloaders would be required to work with the drivers so they could better understand how their loads adversely affect the drivers.

It doesnt take much imagenation on how load quality effects drivers, especially if those drivers never came up learning PASS.

U

uber

Yeah, I have a little resentment for drivers that were essentially given a silver spoon with the company and didn't have to bust their arse for essentially peanuts in the warehouse for years the way the majority of us have. Especially, when the driver who didn't work his way up chimes in with smart, condescending responses about issues that he never had to deal with.

I keep relaying to my family members that ask when I'm going to go driving that its all worth it. Sometimes I question whether it is myself.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yeah, I have a little resentment for drivers that were essentially given a silver spoon with the company and didn't have to bust their arse for essentially peanuts in the warehouse for years the way the majority of us have. Especially, when the driver who didn't work his way up chimes in with smart, condescending responses about issues that he never had to deal with. .

I keep relaying to my family members that ask when I'm going to go driving that its all worth it. Sometimes I question whether it is myself.

Some of the outside hires just don't get it.....the next contract should continue to address the issue but now days its pretty uncommon for outsidr hires to come straight into driving..hang in there

bigbrownhen

I was an outside hire. While delivering for another company in our area, I knew a few of the UPS drivers and one told me about the position coming up. I applied and got the job. As my family was just getting by, no insurance, living week to week, it was like winning the lottery. I love my job, apprecialte the living it gives my family. I also have lived the difference of working for a non-union company.

I never disrespect my pre loaders. I understand what they are putting up with. If I have a problem with how they do the job, I will discuss it with them. I defend them regularly when management is all over them.

It doesnt really matter how we got the job. We need to have respect for each position.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
One of these days this issue has to be put to rest. Why so much animosity towards someone becoming a package car driver without coming up through the part time ranks? If someone hires on with UPS under the guidelines of the contract at the time, so be it! That contract was in force because the majority of the members who chose to vote, voted yes.
I sat in on many proposal meetings in my local before the current contract was finalized and sent out for a vote. I can count on one hand the number of part timers that even showed up to voice their opinions. If you don't like the current contract become involved to change it next time around.
If I remember correctly, from those proposal meetings, UPS cannot legally hire ALL drivers from within and thus the outside hire included in whatever ratio was decided upon.
I started part time as an unloader while finishing my degree, worked up to preload and went full-time in about 2 years. I was lucky to have come into the company at a time of fast growth. I guess I paid my "dues" as some of you out there demand should happen, but I don't see where it has made me a "better" full-timer!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
One of these days this issue has to be put to rest. Why so much animosity towards someone becoming a package car driver without coming up through the part time ranks? If someone hires on with UPS under the guidelines of the contract at the time, so be it! That contract was in force because the majority of the members who chose to vote, voted yes.
I sat in on many proposal meetings in my local before the current contract was finalized and sent out for a vote. I can count on one hand the number of part timers that even showed up to voice their opinions. If you don't like the current contract become involved to change it next time around.
If I remember correctly, from those proposal meetings, UPS cannot legally hire ALL drivers from within and thus the outside hire included in whatever ratio was decided upon.
I started part time as an unloader while finishing my degree, worked up to preload and went full-time in about 2 years. I was lucky to have come into the company at a time of fast growth. I guess I paid my "dues" as some of you out there demand should happen, but I don't see where it has made me a "better" full-timer!

Personally for me its not the fact that someone got hired off the street...its the fact that the ratio was 1 to 1 or 2 to 1 for so many years. It's not like UPS was taking part timers after a year or two...some locations are waiting 10+ years that's where the sour attitudes come from....bottomups can UPS legally hire for all their management folks from the inside??? Which they say they are proud of doing.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The OP has gone out of his way to make sure there is hostility between us. That is where it comes from. I have no hostility towards anyone else. I don't enjoy feeling any ill will. I will not tolerate being treated worse than toe jam, though. Nancy wants to play dirty and cruel, I guess those are the rules under which we shall interact, then.

The drivers who have been lucky enough to jump ahead of the insiders who have waited over a decade for that job, have been humble enough to know not to throw it in others faces. I have no use for know-it-all jerk faces who are so abusive, at times, it sickening. That would be the OP. A petty, little chubby holder who sits in the corner dreaming up ways to hurt others. He has earned my disdain.

iowa boy

bottomups,

I understand and agree with you completely about part-timers not being involved in the contract or the union, but here where I'm at, our local holds our monthly meetings on a Tuesday nite, at 730 pm. Now, our local sorters have no means to attend any of these meetings as they work at night, and alot of our preloaders go to bed by 830 or 900 at night. So for our part-timers, its very hard to be involved with the union when the meetings are scheduled in such a manner so they cannot attend.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

bottomups,

I understand and agree with you completely about part-timers not being involved in the contract or the union, but here where I'm at, our local holds our monthly meetings on a Tuesday nite, at 730 pm. Now, our local sorters have no means to attend any of these meetings as they work at night, and alot of our preloaders go to bed by 830 or 900 at night. So for our part-timers, its very hard to be involved with the union when the meetings are scheduled in such a manner so they cannot attend.
Our local holds a general membership meeting every other month on a Sunday morning. Request your E-board do the same in the hopes of getting more people to attend. Would expect that most locals will be planning contract proposal meetings sometime early next year.

kingOFchester

I hope you got your flame suit on.

For the most part, part timers probably do sling a lot more weight then a driver not even taking in consideration the shortened work day. But the mental stress of a part timer doesn't compare to a driver. I have done both and will say my stress level as a driver is far higher then a preloader.

Last edited:

Dr.Brownz

We have an army man on our local sort. Guys a :censored2:ing idiot, has to ask if local 2nd day packages get put on the outbound trailers....