Do you have any respect for managers who never did delivery driving?

We have a new DM,and after asking around it seems he was a pkg car driver for TWO WEEKS before being promoted to onroad,, then center manager, than DM. It DISGUSTS ME that the current system doesnt recognize long term ability and achievement, Do we as drivers really want someone telling us how to the job that never has done it? What has happened to earning a position based on ability, long term.?
Jesus loves us all. Even though we are all different.He was pierced for our transgressions. He was crushed for our iniquities. Through his wounds we are healed. Read this and think about it. Does any of this really matter it's just cardboard and envelopes. Boxes and logistics. It's so simple and we have made it so hard. Why??? If everyone thought for just a minute how foolish this all is in his eyes the true embarrassment would make us all want to go hide.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Jesus loves us all. Even though we are all different.He was pierced for our transgressions. He was crushed for our iniquities. Through his wounds we are healed. Read this and think about it. Does any of this really matter it's just cardboard and envelopes. Boxes and logistics. It's so simple and we have made it so hard. Why??? If everyone thought for just a minute how foolish this all is in his eyes the true embarrassment would make us all want to go hide.

That would apply to Brown Cafe, UPS and all worldly matters.

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
We have a new DM,and after asking around it seems he was a pkg car driver for TWO WEEKS before being promoted to onroad,, then center manager, than DM. It DISGUSTS ME that the current system doesnt recognize long term ability and achievement, Do we as drivers really want someone telling us how to the job that never has done it? What has happened to earning a position based on ability, long term.?
Doesn't really matter...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If everyone thought for just a minute how foolish this all is in his eyes the true embarrassment would make us all want to go hide.

If one reaches a state of total oblivion, is that not a way to hide?

Oblivion definition:
1) The state of being unaware or unconscious of what is happening.
2) the fact or condition of forgetting or having forgotten; especially : the condition of being oblivious

DS

Fenderbender
You have to earn my respect.
And since the sell out,the respect quotient is negligible.
Our center manager today demanded that we all be back by 19:00.
If not, a phone call to him explaining why.What a maroon.
Our oncall cutoff time is 18:30.I called after my lunch and told him I was making no promises.
I added that I thought his PCM was irresponsible and would result in some drivers taking shortcuts
to get done early.OK thanks for calling he said.What a maroon.
They better move him soon,I sense much hostility,I fear for his life,even though he's a maroon.

Inthegame

Our oncall cutoff time is 18:30.I called after my lunch and told him I was making no promises.
I added that I thought his PCM was irresponsible and would result in some drivers taking shortcuts
They better move him soon,I sense much hostility,I fear for his life,even though he's a maroon.
Would you like him any better if he was green, or blue, or pink...

C

chuchu

I'll show respect to those that didn't as long as they show respect for those that do.
As long as the person can listen and apply valid advice given to him/her a rookie could be a good center manager. Too often they become spineless puppets to survive the job. At that point, we are all very frustrated,

kingOFchester

Respect is earned, not given. Could I respect a Sup who has never driven? Yes. May not be a popular answer.

"“In the end, people should be judged by their actions, since in the end, it was actions that defined everyone"

-Nicholas Sparks

cino321

I can't believe these guys want you to call the office and explain.

I swear I'd script and rehearse a 5 year old's explanation of why I'm coming in after 19:00. Too much time peeing and pooping :).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have an on-car, PDS and center manager in my center. The on-car drove for 15 years before going in to mgt. I respect him as he knows what we go through out there. I respect the positions held by the PDS and center manager.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I don't think it really matters. I've had 2 week wonders who were a pleasure to work for and long time drivers who were a disaster. As others have said I'll respect someone who respects me, beyond that we are all accountable for the job that we are assigned to do and if a manager really isn't doing his/her job it will eventually catch up with them regardless of their past experience.