Do you have any respect for managers who never did delivery driving?

Re-Raise

We have an on-car, PDS and center manager in my center. The on-car drove for 15 years before going in to mgt. I respect him as he knows what we go through out there. I respect the positions held by the PDS and center manager.

Do you have any idea why he made the jump after 15 years? Is he glad he did it?

ups1990

Yes. I've posted past comments where we've had a center manager and on roads sups who drove for only a few weeks in order to fulfill the promotion and were a delight to work for. We could also turn this question around, do full-time drivers respect managers who were once full timers themselves? Let's be honest, we have drivers who can care less what a mangers working background might be, they will still not listen to a word they say.

I agree with a previous post, who wrote about the pool of candidates being much better if it wasn't for the overtime and relocations.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Jesus loves us all. Even though we are all different.He was pierced for our transgressions. He was crushed for our iniquities. Through his wounds we are healed. Read this and think about it. Does any of this really matter it's just cardboard and envelopes. Boxes and logistics. It's so simple and we have made it so hard. Why??? If everyone thought for just a minute how foolish this all is in his eyes the true embarrassment would make us all want to go hide.
anonymous,

Thanks for this sharing of your faith in Jesus.

My faith is also in Jesus and what he did on the cross for us.

His rising is what proves that what he says and what he did is true.

Remember we are God's creation and God cares about his creation. All of his creation.

Everything does matter to God, everything.

Individuals make it hard when their hearts turn from him and turn to the selfish pursuit of the pleasures and profit that this world has to offer.

The result is spiritual death.

Unfortunately large corporations are full of individuals who have made their company the god of their universe and thus those who are alive in Christ are working with and among the walking dead(spiritually that is).

Whatever you do, do it for the Lord.

Live for Him, work for Him, play for Him, pray to Him!

Sincerely,
I

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He made the jump as his three children were nearing college age and he wanted to use the stock to pay for all or part of their tuition. He has been able to put them through school and walk one of them down the aisle thanks to the stock.

He has also said if he had it to do over again that he wouldn't have made the jump.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Except in December when you are all Santa's helpers...........and remember, Santa rearranged spells Satan !!

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
1) That does seem a bit unusual but the responsibilities and ability to be a good DM has little to do with the ability to be a good driver.
2) If the DM does a good job at the job he/she is in now then the system worked as it should. Keep in mind that keeping you or other drivers happy is a very small part of a DMs job - that is the CMs job.
3) Really? Who cares what you want? Put it in the contract if you want it.
4) What do you know about the DM job? or the abilities of this DM? or whether he/she is doing a good job or not? You or the other drivers will not be evaluating the DM on his/her job performance.

Your post struck me as being funny and disconcertingly self-centered ... it really is not all about you, you know.

yes,, i am VERY aware of the fact im nothing to the CURRENT big brown machine, I, like you, can be very easily replaced, that was not the point of my original lament. Let me first of correct my original post, our current DM is not new,, he has been around for a long time. However, after curiosity got to me i started asking around and learned the big number enforcer never really did the job..Now, Ive been around a long time, Ive talked and befriended alot of operations people and i understand they are simply a puppet regime whos sole purpose is to hammer us stupid hourly into conforming to produce the current hot topic metric.. i get that. what i cant understand , is the job of operations management so transparent and meaningless as real management that Hr and corporate must fast track any interested party into operations???

Re-Raise

I recognize that the DMs (level 18) and up need an entirely skill set than the old-timers like me.

The ability to spend hours a day on the telephone. Throwing tantrums and blaming everyone else when something doesn't go exactly as they planned. Failing to understand that other people's opinions have value.

Wait a minute.. my thirteen year old daughter could be on the fast track to DM.:happy2:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
We have an on-car, PDS and center manager in my center. The on-car drove for 15 years before going in to mgt. I respect him as he knows what we go through out there. I respect the positions held by the PDS and center manager.

I just wish that I lived in your little slice of wonderfullness.

Johney

At that point in his career he has decided he doesn't want to or can't do it anymore physically. I know someone who did the same thing,didn't want too but really had no choice.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
yes,, i am VERY aware of the fact im nothing to the CURRENT big brown machine, I, like you, can be very easily replaced, that was not the point of my original lament. Let me first of correct my original post, our current DM is not new,, he has been around for a long time. However, after curiosity got to me i started asking around and learned the big number enforcer never really did the job..Now, Ive been around a long time, Ive talked and befriended alot of operations people and i understand they are simply a puppet regime whos sole purpose is to hammer us stupid hourly into conforming to produce the current hot topic metric.. i get that. what i cant understand , is the job of operations management so transparent and meaningless as real management that Hr and corporate must fast track any interested party into operations???

The DM you are talking about is most likely getting UPS Operations experience.
Think of it as "getting your ticket punched".

And it is not just you and I that can be replaced in the Big Brown ... Scott Davis on down are just cogs in a machine and each cog is important but which person that is that cog is totally unimportant.

UPS Lifer

I don't think it really matters. I've had 2 week wonders who were a pleasure to work for and long time drivers who were a disaster. As others have said I'll respect someone who respects me, beyond that we are all accountable for the job that we are assigned to do and if a manager really isn't doing his/her job it will eventually catch up with them regardless of their past experience.

Brown Monster & you hit it on the head. Usually the first two questions I was asked by drivers that I met was 1. Did I drive? 2. For how long? I don't think I would have been successful had I not been a driver. I have always felt that you have to do the job to understand the job. However, this does not apply to all people. One of my supervisors was finally promoted to manager without ever being a driver and he let his drivers know that. He also told them that he wanted them to teach him about their job. He was very successful because he respected his drivers. I was extremely proud of him.

For you drivers that said or will say "No" right off the bat without qualification... I would recommend that you keep the walls down and develop a dialog with your manager or supervisor and try not to make them fit that stereo type when they make a blunder.

Hoaxster was very astute in his posts on the job of a DM.

I realize I am a dinosaur, but I NEVER believed that drivers should work more than a 9.75 day ... and that was only the last week of peak. Most drivers were in by 6:30 - 7 PM and anyone in after 8 had some real explaining to do. I would give them whatever help they needed to get in.

It works if you stick with your plan and make your plan - your DM will not question you.

Sorry for the long post...

menotyou

bella amicizia
I have never wondered about this at all. NEITHER, DO I.

Johney made assumptions which were wholly inaccurate as those were not the reasons my on-car made the jump to mgt.
Johny haphazarded a guess based on his personal experiences. He meant no ill will. Unlike you.