Do you have enough saved?

Do you have liquid savings that is easily accessible?

• No

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • 1 week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 week2

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • 4 weeks

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • Do to other income I could go as long as it takes

Votes: 42 64.6%

• Total voters
I'm assuming our benefits would be paid up through the end of August. If a (theoretical) strike happened, we would keep those benefits until September 1st, when we would be put on COBRA. I might be wrong, though.
I really hope that it wont come down to that! That being said,IM putting away money and If i do no need to use it. The family will have a very Merry xmas! and maybe a good case or 20 of beer 4 me!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
No, seems like life keeps happening, and I never get a chance to reinstall my emergency fund. But no matter what happens, I survive, always have always will.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I'm assuming our benefits would be paid up through the end of August. If a (theoretical) strike happened, we would keep those benefits until September 1st, when we would be put on COBRA. I might be wrong, though.
Cobra is $277 a month. I am not sure how many pt'ers, let alone ft'ers, that can afford that.

No, seems like life keeps happening, and I never get a chance to reinstall my emergency fund. But no matter what happens, I survive, always have always will.
The Fedex guy on my route(he owns several route) gave me his number and said If you go on strike I will make room for you.He said you wont make nowhere near what you are now! But the offer is on the table.Hope purple doesnt make me look fat!(or is it my beer belly that makes me look fat?)lol

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Cobra is $277 a month. I am not sure how many pt'ers, let alone ft'ers, that can afford that.

In my experience, COBRA was far more expensive than that. I was pulled off the job to work for my local for a month not too long ago. The local was reimbursing UPS for my health insurance while I was out (we have to clock in at least once a week here to keep benefits). Since I'm PT, I'm in the company health plan. The UPS Health & Welfare people are a bunch of things I can't really say here - they were extremely unhelpful to both me and my BA, to say the least. Even though UPS received the check for my insurance coverage, they put me on COBRA to the tune of $470/month without any dependents.

I ended up with a bill somewhere to the tune of $1,100 before everything was set straight.

menotyou

bella amicizia
In my experience, COBRA was far more expensive than that. I was pulled off the job to work for my local for a month not too long ago. The local was reimbursing UPS for my health insurance while I was out (we have to clock in at least once a week here to keep benefits). Since I'm PT, I'm in the company health plan. The UPS Health & Welfare people are a bunch of things I can't really say here - they were extremely unhelpful to both me and my BA, to say the least. Even though UPS received the check for my insurance coverage, they put me on COBRA to the tune of $470/month without any dependents.

I ended up with a bill somewhere to the tune of $1,100 before everything was set straight.
Wow! When I lost my benny's after a year, the bill I was given was $277. At the time, I was getting $978 a month. (Gotta love how they can screw with you and your money. I sued and won after a year.)
This is in NY, though. I might be different in other parts of the country. This was in 2010.

InsideUPS

I think anybody that wants to go on strike is out of their freaking minds. We will loose so much freakin volume, it would cost us a crap ton of jobs. You can says the competition can't handle it. What choice will people have. FedEx ground built a huge hub pretty close to where I live. Trust me, it may not be pretty, but they will eventually get stuff out. It's only February, and you guys act like where in the last hours or something. Every other thread, strike, brownout, slowdown. Wtf.

QKRSTKR......I understand your concerns about the adverse effects of a strike, etc.. however, please understand the we as a Union must at least discuss ALL options before the end of our contract. While this may be a little like "Chicken Little" to you (The Sky is Falling) to you, UPS is a very large and well prepared company. UPS executives have been discussing our contract looooong before February 2013.

IF we as a Union (You..you..and myself) do not at least look like we are prepared or willing to stand up against concessionary language in our contract, we are in for some very difficult times ahead. I can promise you that we are not "out of our freaking minds". Some of us have simply worked at UPS long enough to know what to expect and more importantly, how to deal with "Big Brown". Assuming UPS reads these boards and monitors discussions at the work place, if they detect fear, doubt, and other weaknesses such as intimidation...... their bargaining talks will continue to go against a fair and equitable contract with our Union representatives. Regardless of how you feel inside, I suggest you keep that "poker face" on until the game is over... I promise you that hall knows what he is doing. He is well experienced on how far he can push the company for the maximum benefits of UPS Teamsters.

brown_trousers

If we go on strike it won't be how much money you have, but how many applications have you filled out. The fact is we would lose business. We lose business we lose jobs. If we lose jobs we lose employees. UPS can still make the same profit percentage wise, and at the end of the day that's all they want.
So instead of talking about striking we should be talking about getting this contract settled. We talk about how we care about part timers and employees to come, understand this no business means no opportunity for either. Drivers under ten years seniority would be worried about layoff and maybe worse.

This is especially true if you are a lower seniority driver. The cold hard fact is: that we will lose business to a strike, and when we come back to work it will be the lower seniority drivers that dont have a route to come back to.

Buck Fifty

This is especially true if you are a lower seniority driver. The cold hard fact is: that we will lose business to a strike, and when we come back to work it will be the lower seniority drivers that dont have a route to come back to.

and.... Most of those low seniority guys are the ones burning up the routes anyway. Might be a great lesson for them. Little split shifting would hurt them either. Don't wish it to happen,but if it does, I guarantee that the higher seniority brothers will do all they can to get them back into the truck, even with all their bad behavior.