Do you have to be 21 to drive?

P

pickup

When I started, to become a driver, you had to be:

married
have your military obligations taken care of. i.e.

Oh how the times have changed:peaceful:

you had to be married? Was this formally stated or was it an unwritten rule? Strange to have such a rule considering that Jim Casey was a confirmed bachelor.

P

pickup

The Mod actually put my post up for view.
I tried to find a way to criticize without going overboard.
Said something to the effect:
If nothing else, the Whiteboard commercial is funny.

Okay, that was you. Hoke. Good job getting your "tag" out there.

rod

Retired 22 years
you had to be married? Was this formally stated or was it an unwritten rule? Strange to have such a rule considering that Jim Casey was a confirmed bachelor.

I don't know if it was a corporate rule or not. All I know is that I was not married and working part time and management knew I wanted to go full time. I was the only part timer at the center. After they hired a guy off the street for a new delivery route I asked the head interviewer why I wasn't concidered for the job. He said "because your not married and we are looking for guys (not gals at that time) that are settled down". Long story short-----I got married on a Saturday and was promoted to full time the following Tuesday. ( I can't believe my wife would get mad at me for telling people for many years that I only married her so I could be a UPS driver).:wink2:
P.S. They never sent me to UPS school or nothing. I really was "just a dumb truck driver".

P

pickup

I don't know if it was a corporate rule or not. All I know is that I was not married and working part time and management knew I wanted to go full time. I was the only part timer at the center. After they hired a guy off the street for a new delivery route I asked the head interviewer why I wasn't concidered for the job. He said "because your not married and we are looking for guys (not gals at that time) that are settled down". Long story short-----I got married on a Saturday and was promoted to full time the following Tuesday. ( I can't believe my wife would get mad at me for telling people for many years that I only married her so I could be a UPS driver).:wink2:
P.S. They never sent me to UPS school or nothing. I really was "just a dumb truck driver".

interesting and amusing at the same time, thanks rod

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
It was written on the third Tablet that Moses brought down from the Mt. but he dropped it. Also on the tablet was Gods Words of how to treat UPS employees what a shame ,,clumsey Moses !!!!

P

pickup

It was written on the third Tablet that Moses brought down from the Mt. but he dropped it. Also on the tablet was Gods Words of how to treat UPS employees what a shame ,,clumsey Moses !!!!

Cooooovemaster, DO NOT Tempt thy lord thy god

danlin

Been a feeder driver for the last 15 years. Had a part timer ask me if he had to be 21 to drive. I told him I didnt know but would find out. Too bad I picked this place to ask my question.

Calm down will ya. The gang is just having a little fun with you.
I started as a part timer when I was 19 and ever time the bid sheet came up for a "Service provider" position, It said IN WRITING that eligible candidates had to be 21. All driver bid sheets usually do. So eventually I got the job at 21 and a half. As of yesterday (June 10th) I begin my 30th year as a driver.

P

pickup

let me ask a question that I am not sure about. Do you need a driver's license to drive a package car?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I never went to driving school either.

I think it was because the company figure married driver would not want to go home to the battle axe,er.. I mean their lovely wife, and would spend more hours out on route.