Do you remember when

burco8080

we got birthday cards signed by division mangers, a safe driver gifts, a5yr. 10yr 15 anniversary rings gold watches or another gifts. I felt like i was part of a great company and a great place to work, now i can hope to get my 25yr in get out of here..

brostalss

Ah yes. Those safe driver rewards catalogs. Al,oat every year you could get a clock or flashlight. I would pick out something I wanted but would never would pay for.

They really need to bring that program back. You have to reward the safe and hard working people in order to keep them motivated maintain that good work ethic. Positive reinforcement is always best when working with people.

A

anonymous6

I remember when we used to take the package cars to the bar and rink with the supes on a Friday afternoon. can u imagine that?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Never got cards, but Turkeys and awards were nice! The circle of honor dinner was really a great affair from what I heard. I was just getting to the good stuff too when they cut it out, DARN!

A sup got mad at me once when I said, "go ahead and bash something, who cares, the company must not, no awards now anyway"!

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I can remember when SERVICE meant something.I miss the days of the center manager being the King. He ran the center as he thought fit,not following some 'plan' that a guy in a cubicle 1,000 miles away has deemed fit for the center.
I'm still having a hard time adjusting to the 'New' UPS

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I can remember when SERVICE meant something.I miss the days of the center manager being the King. He ran the center as he thought fit,not following some 'plan' that a guy in a cubicle 1,000 miles away has deemed fit for the center.

Only been about 5 years here since our center manager still had control. Gonna be a long 25 years if I can make it that long.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

That is a very astute observation.

Veteran employees (yes.... management too) scratch their heads every day.... wondering what happened.

The company.... that kind of "invented" the wheel in package delivery....

Now thinks.... it can "round" a square wheel. Sort of trying to re-invent itself.

The company has been sold a "bill of goods" on technology. Failing to realize.... the work is still done by humans.

The good news ? They have a lot of money.... and will continue to pay.

The upper echelon won't do it. They are at the mercy of the employee's.

Think about it.

​-Bug-

Buck Fifty

Safe driving awards were OK til many guys would not report minor accidents because they wanted their flashlights, clocks, etc. Resulting of course (depending on who you were) discharges. I for one am glad the safety awards were dropped. The only motivation I need is the paycheck, but for those who dont know what time it is or cant see where theyre going, just spend 2 or 3 minutes a day and say a little prayer to keep you safe. Over the course of a month, you have a fine watch and a hell of a flashlight. Do it it for a whole year and poof, a pool table. (which would what take 20 to 25 yrs to get)

Never ceases to amaze me how drivers still needs that affirmation from a company that could give 2 ****z about them.

oldngray

nowhere special
I remember when we got a wallet for every year of safe driving + another gift from the catalog. I had so many wallets that were still new thrown into a drawer.

JackStraw

Shame. They took away the only thing left that you took pride in. It's all about the bottom line now. Maybe it'll change.

ymelord

Never ceases to amaze me how drivers still needs that affirmation from a company that could give 2 ****z about them.
I know UPS doesn't give 2 chits about me, and I've come to grips with that, but it sure pizzes UPS off when UPS needs a favor, and I don't give 2 chits about UPS. Neither attitude is good for UPS, or ymelord, just empty the truck, and file it up, nothing more nothing less.

upsgrunt

Each new CEO has to try to out-do the previous one. The present one chose to cut safe driving awards, turkeys, company run health insurance, and to cram more work down our throats in less time. What's left to cut for the next poor bastard; or for us poor bastards, for that matter.

S

serenity now

Remember when they gave out xmas turkeys??? Lol

This is taken directly from the UPSers Site * Interesting that they still try to garner good PR over the fact that they gave away turkeys in the past. GMAFB

Holiday Turkey

A tradition during the early days of our company

The UPS holiday turkey was a tradition during the early days of the company. Before the holiday turkey, a gold piece, the legal tender of the time, was given to each employee as a symbol of the company's appreciation. The gift was not meant as a bonus for extra work during the holiday season, but rather as recognition for their hard work throughout the year.
As the company grew and the number of employees increased, turkeys replaced the gold pieces as the gift of choice during the 1920s. Originally, the turkeys were delivered to the homes of employees. Later, during the 1930s, the turkeys could be picked up at a butcher shop, either live or dressed. Employees could also have the birds delivered to them at work.
The turkeys were not distributed from 1937 through 1944 due to the effects of the Depression and the rationing of World War II. An article in The Big Idea stated, "The company regrets that because of the increased cost of business operations, heavier taxes, and the likelihood of less volume due to the business recession, it has become necessary to discontinue the practice of distributing Christmas turkeys." During this time, UPS Founder Jim Casey wrote a memo voicing his opinion on the matter: "The tradition of the turkey shows how close we are to our people. We want to show our gratitude in some way or another."
In December 1945, after World War II was over, the turkey tradition began once again at UPS with employees receiving a turkey for the holidays. The process evolved to be more efficient and convenient, giving employees coupons in place of turkeys.
In 2009, the program was suspended. This change was not a reflection on the hard work and commitment that our people dedicate to UPS each day, rather it was considered to be a prudent decision to help reduce related non-operating costs. Our recognition programs are modified with changing preferences and diverse global traditions.