do you think hoffa and hall is selling us out?

the unions are losing a lot of money due to the arbitration for dishonesty.

• yes

Votes: 38 56.7%
  • no

Votes: 23 34.3%
  • I don't care

Votes: 6 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stink219

More TDU crap.

​-Bug-
No doubt!!
You never hear them mention that it wasn't Carey but Hoff/Hall that created 9.5 language. Was it? Watch all them come out and say, "It was in the works in 97, 97 this, 97, in 97, but 97, 97!" I just handed 3 of my guys checks for over $300 in 9.5 violations. Damn that Hoffa and Hall!!!
Only complaint I'd have is going up a tax bracket! Ha, that was funny! Admit it!!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
A visual representation of TDU. :happy-very:

35anb11.jpg

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In the final analysis, Hoffa/Hall can only negotiate an agreement that they think we will strike over.

The company will only pay us what we are willing to strike for.

There are 250,000+ Teamsters who will be covered by the agreement. Accurately judging how many of them are willing to strike indefinately is more of an art than a science. Trying to negotiate an agreement that adequately meets the needs of all 250,000 of those people is also more of an art than a science.

If you think that negotiating a labor agreement is simply a matter of talking tough at the table, then you should take your superior bargaining skills to Fed Ex, Wal Mart or McDonalds and put those skills to work negotiating your own labor agreement with them. Let us know how that works for ya. Otherwise, you might as well accept the fact that any agreement that is made with UPS on behalf of 250,000 people will not make every one of those people happy.

slantnosechevy

No doubt!!
You never hear them mention that it wasn't Carey but Hoff/Hall that created 9.5 language. Was it? Watch all them come out and say, "It was in the works in 97, 97 this, 97, in 97, but 97, 97!" I just handed 3 of my guys checks for over $300 in 9.5 violations. Damn that Hoffa and Hall!!!
Only complaint I'd have is going up a tax bracket! Ha, that was funny! Admit it!!

Agreed, but you have to give Pat Flynn and his rank an file negotiating team in Chicago credit for that language. 710 led the nation in 9.5 language long before the Int'nl. had anything.

Griff

A ups drivers total benefit per hour is over 49.00 an hour. I feel we deserve that with the profits we have. However, if ups goes public about our threat to strike, the public will have no sympathy when they find out our complete package. The union needs to play the card carefully, IMO.

Doesn't matter. It's about the part timers and benefits. The majority of UPS's workforce is PT and that is the way it should be presented to the public. Who cares if 100,000 drivers make $32/hr, i can't even begin to IMAGINE how many P/T employees they have. You have a fortune 100 company who is content with paying minimum wage to the majority of its workforce meanwhile they make 5 billion a year in profit. Now not only do they want them to make minimum wage, they want them to pay for healthcare as well.

People will see it for what it is, another classic example of endless corporate greed and givebacks. Just because "MOST" americans pay for their healthcare doesn't mean everyone has to or should. Most Americans are willing to sit back and passively accept the crumbs that executives are willing to slide off their 14k gold table onto the italian marble floor. Which is why the country is in its current state with labor and the wealth gap. We have the option to stand and deliver with a NO vote across the country. Let them do the old song and dance of "Last, best and final offer". Anyone who votes yes for any type of concessions on the table is a sucker, plain and simple.

P.S. -- I'd love to see some real hard facts on the number of P/T employees who actually stay long enough to receive the upper tier levels of the pay. In my building the turnover rate is unbelievable and barely any stay long enough to even get the benefits now.

Justaname

Your p.s. says it all---if the work is still getting done with the turnover that you speak of then why in the world would/should UPS pay more?
It can be done, but at what cost. Damages, lost and stolen packages, and injuries will be at an all time high. There goes ups's reputation.

yeldarb

The only way ups would care about paying the part timers more is if the part timers had a vote on the ballot. There is not enough in the union to make their vote matter. How many contracts have you voted down on the sole point of the part timers contract?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If this was directed at me the answer is zero---I have never considered the part-timers while voting on a contract. Why? It's simple--this is my career while, for the most part, it is just a job to the part-timers.

yeldarb

It was directed at griff. Sorry for the confusion. My point was there will never be a strike based on the proposal for part timers until they have enough members to make their vote matter. The union works best for anyone when they are a member and have a vote. Most part timers don't feel a need to pay their dues and they all suffer because of it.

Justaname

If this was directed at me the answer is zero---I have never considered the part-timers while voting on a contract. Why? It's simple--this is my career while, for the most part, it is just a job to the part-timers.
Ok, well ups has been apart of my life since before I was born. It is my career, I've been here since I graduated high school and while in college. 5 years now and I plan on driving( currently do as an air and seasonal). I would consider this my career, but if you don't feel the same that's fine. My opinion on pt wages is that currently I find them some what fair. Sure you work 2 jobs for 7 to 10 years but, when you become full time it's well worth it.

Last edited:

blue efficacy

:knockedout: :knockedout: :knockedout:

UPS drivers earn $32+/hour, no-cost benefits that rank among the best of any employee group in the country, up to 9 weeks paid time off (including holidays & sick days) and one of the most generous pensions in the country. Over the past two contracts, the IBT has negotiated a $17.75/hour wage & benefit hike -- including over $9 in direct wages. That translates into more than $20,000/year in additional income without any benefit contribution or dilution. This places UPS drivers into the top 15% of all wage earns, and top 10% in total compensation, in the country. Meanwhile, most American's total compensation package has decreased over this time frame. ... And our union is weak?
All this is off the backs of part timers, $8.50 to start, and a year for medical or even paid holidays.
For Thanksgiving, the company is generous enough to ensure they can get paid for 10.5 hours that week, maybe a little more if they really hunt for work.

If any of you guy don't think your being sold out go to behindthebrowncutainups and read the relationship form the beginning from Hoffa sr to ron carry ect ect ect it tell all

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Agreed, but you have to give Pat Flynn and his rank an file negotiating team in Chicago credit for that language. 710 led the nation in 9.5 language long before the Int'nl. had anything.

In the Central Region, we have had 9.5 language since the late 70's. It started out, as over 10 hours.

Funny thing.... nobody had to file on it. We were all done between 5:30 and 6:30 every day.... except for peak.

If any of you guy don't think your being sold out go to behindthebrowncutainups and read the relationship form the beginning from Hoffa sr to ron carry ect ect ect it tell all

That is a 10 year old article.

From a non-UPS.... non-Teamster.... for what it is worth.

​-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
What's funny about this thread.... (besides the grammatical error in the title)

The poll ask's if you think the "Unions" (another error) are losing money due to arbitration cost....

for discharge cases involving dishonesty. At least, I think thats what the OP meant.

Well.... if your Local is not in any sort of "panel" system (like Local 804).... it is costly to arbitrate cases. Every single grievance.

So, the poll is kind of skewed.... It really just apply's, to Locals that use arbitration as an end to contract disputes.

More than anything, Can the OP talk about the contactual changes they are referring too ?? Help me out.

​-Bug-

8. No employee shall be discharged on a first offense if such discharge is based solely upon information received from GPS or any
successor system unless he/she engages in dishonesty (defined for
the purposes of this paragraph as any act or omission by an employee where he/she intends to defraud the Company). The degree of
discipline dealing with off-area offenses shall not be changed
because of the use of GPS.
-