Do you tip your shop steward?

BrownTexas

I had a guy take me out for wings and beer one time after we got his job back.

"Thanks for what you do for us!" works just as well though. One of those makes up for a hundred, "My supervisor worked next to me all night! You're crooked because you won't file a grievance and scream at him from the other side of the building!"
The guys saying that to you is a chicken :censored2:. Making you take all the heat when he can file for it himself.

10 point

Your welcome.
Our family just lost our opthalmologist (we were with for over 30 years) and the independent pharmacy I have been with since 1969.

The Rx location can be replaced but there's no eye guy near by our town of the same caliber as this one. Not even close. Some gained. Some lost. Glad some gained.

That had nothing to do with our stewards but Im thinking about a "tip" to pass on to Jr.

Our family just lost our opthalmologist (we were with for over 30 years) and the independent pharmacy I have been with since 1969.

The Rx location can be replaced but there's no eye guy near by our town of the same caliber as this one. Not even close. Some gained. Some lost. Glad some gained.

That had nothing to do with our stewards but Im thinking about a "tip" to pass on to Jr.
Sorry

HOTELDUNORD

NO. Stewards don't pay union dues so they are already compensated. Understand that I am a retired steward and it IS a thankless job. There is nothing wrong about a coffee or beer but normally stewards understand their position and are not looking for a handout.They also get a gift each year from the hall for Christmas. Many get perks from management for looking the other way (evil but lets be real here). My advice is thank your steward for a job well done before you need his help!

10 point

NO. Stewards don't pay union dues so they are already compensated. Understand that I am a retired steward and it IS a thankless job. There is nothing wrong about a coffee or beer but normally stewards understand their position and are not looking for a handout.They also get a gift each year from the hall for Christmas. Many get perks from management for looking the other way (evil but lets be real here). My advice is thank your steward for a job well done before you need his help!
No freebies or gifts or dues exemption in our local.

Our stewards don't "look the other way" or kiss anyone's butt...especially management's thank you.

Island

All my stewards fit into two groups. Too harassed by management to help anyone else with harassment, or on management's xmas list and therefore not mine. None of them have I wanted to tip. If I had a steward in my center who actually won me some grievances, I'd probably go out of my way to be appreciative. This is actually something I've never had to consider before, but if for some reason my local leadership didn't suck when I woke up tomorrow, I would probably have a lot of thankful feelings to share.

Brownsfan

All my stewards fit into two groups. Too harassed by management to help anyone else with harassment, or on management's xmas list and therefore not mine. None of them have I wanted to tip. If I had a steward in my center who actually won me some grievances, I'd probably go out of my way to be appreciative. This is actually something I've never had to consider before, but if for some reason my local leadership didn't suck when I woke up tomorrow, I would probably have a lot of thankful feelings to share.

We have one steward who's a little soft, but the other 2 are absolute lions that always have your back. I say thank you all the time and I will try to not bump one of them if he's on a good route. The other steward I will call on occasion to see of he needs assistance. I'm in CA, not sure if that has anything to do with the better representation we seem to get. Oh ya and the soft peaceful steward just gets a hand shake.

10 point

I feel bad for your area. Glad I don't work there.
Maybe you ought to run for a steward position if it sucks that bad.

You ever think of being a steward then?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

This is not true...I am a steward in Kansas and we pay full dues. True I get a gift from the hall at Christmas, same as every other member that attends the December meeting. I do not want anything from anyone for my service but a thanks every now and then would be nice.

One of my members gives me a log of deer sausage every year. It is very nice to see the appreciation.

We have no super seniority here either. Myself and another steward were both bumped off routes when other guys routes were changed or eliminated. I would not use it if we did.