Do you workout?

Brownsfan

Plus you get to see all the babes in their tight yoga pants :childish:
Lol good point. It's not about the money. It's about being treated like a sheep. It's the sorry we can't just take your cash, we really want to be able to sell your info. Our economy is becoming more frustrating everyday. I just want to give you money! Why do you make it so difficult. Rant over

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It all depends on what you're going for. But as far as speed of weight loss is concerned I've tried plenty of different workout routines. Running at least 4 miles and doing high rep/low weight free weight exercises (if any workout at all) has always melted the pounds away much faster than all of the others. One thing is for sure.....if you run allot in combination with any of the known effective workout programs you will not have that "soft" look as long as you eat reasonably.
Got to disagree. I know many runners. Only one of them has any muscle tone at all. The rest have flabby legs and arms.

Sometimes this is from no weight training. Often it's from over training and not givin your body enough fuel. Eventually your body starts to canabalize its own muscle for energy.

This is speaking strictly as a ups driver I don't know how anyone's knees would hold up. Runnin miles on top of our job. I do know a upser who aspires to run a 100 mile ultra marathon. Interested to see how long he holds up.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Got to disagree. I know many runners. Only one of them has any muscle tone at all. The rest have flabby legs and arms.

Sometimes this is from no weight training. Often it's from over training and not givin your body enough fuel. Eventually your body starts to canabalize its own muscle for energy.

This is speaking strictly as a ups driver I don't know how anyone's knees would hold up. Runnin miles on top of our job. I do know a upser who aspires to run a 100 mile ultra marathon. Interested to see how long he holds up.
If all the runners you know have flabby legs then you don't know any real runners. No one who's putting in serious mileage on the regular has flabby legs. There have been a lot of studies done on running and knees and the upshot is that running itself isn't bad for your knees. Over the long term runners actually have a lower incidence of osteoarthritis than non runners..

oldngray

nowhere special
If all the runners you know have flabby legs then you don't know any real runners. No one who's putting in serious mileage on the regular has flabby legs. There have been a lot of studies done on running and knees and the upshot is that running itself isn't bad for your knees. Over the long term runners actually have a lower incidence of osteoarthritis than non runners..

Running is high impact and definitely can cause wear and tear on the joints, but how bad varies among individuals. For example if you pronate that will tend to cause more knee damage. A better option for many people is lower impact exercise like cycling or an elliptical. I do agree with you that runners do not have flabby legs though.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Running is high impact and definitely can cause wear and tear on the joints, but how bad varies among individuals. For example if you pronate that will tend to cause more knee damage. A better option for many people is lower impact exercise like cycling or an elliptical. I do agree with you that runners do not have flabby legs though.
All I can tell you is to read the studies, running is not inherently bad for your knees. If you have existing knee problems or a predisposition to knee problems then running is probably not your best choice for exercise but in a normal healthy individual there's no evidence that running leads to an increase in knee problems.

oldngray

nowhere special
All I can tell you is to read the studies, running is not inherently bad for your knees. If you have existing knee problems or a predisposition to knee problems then running is probably not your best choice for exercise but in a normal healthy individual there's no evidence that running leads to an increase in knee problems.

I have bad knees because I have high arches making me pronate excessively. I have tried special shoes but they are only of limited benefit. Not to mention the wear and tear of years as a package driver. So, therefore for me running is not a good option.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I have bad knees because I have high arches making me pronate excessively. I have tried special shoes but they are only of limited benefit. Not to mention the wear and tear of years as a package driver. So, therefore for me running is not a good option.
I'm the opposite, my feet are flat as pancakes. That's supposed to lead to all sorts of problems but it's never bothered me for some reason.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Bad knees here too...I only run for my life...lol

moreluck

golden ticket member
I've been saving up the running mode for an emergency....robbery, rape...etc.
I figure you only get a certain number of "knee bends" in your lifetime......being that I don't know what that number is, I don't run for just anything.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I've been saving up the running mode for an emergency....robbery, rape...etc.
I figure you only get a certain number of "knee bends" in your lifetime......being that I don't know what that number is, I don't run for just anything.
I hear ya...lol. I dont want to blow out my knee running for something dumb...like the ice cream truck...lol