Documenting delays

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
With the company's new push for production, it is more important than ever for us as drivers to keep some sort of a daily log where we document the quality of the load as well as any issues or problems that cost us time. When we get called into the office over a production issue, our management is going to have a clipboard with stacks of Telematics reports and OJS observations and notes, and we need to have our own "stack" of paper so that we can answer specific questions about any delays we might have encountered on a specific day.

I am a big fan of simple. So I designed a "delay card" that, when folded in half, is about the same size as a pad of delivery notices. On this card I put 14 very common delays that every driver tends to encounter, along with 3 columns (8:00AM-noon, noon-4:00, 4:00 and later) where we can count the number of times that particular delay occured using tally strokes. We can make a stroke count while standing at a door, walking back to the car, or sitting in traffic. At the end of the day, we can make whatever notes we want to about overall load condition, miles driven, hours worked etc. on the back side of the card.

The list of delays is by no means complete, and each driver could tailor their own card to the specifics of their route. And I made this card using a ruler and a pencil; a better way to do it would be to make some sort of a spread sheet using Excel, but I lack the necessary computer skills. The size of the card means that you could fit two of them on a single piece of 8x11 copy paper and then cut each sheet in half to make two cards. I have included a picture of the one I made; I also had my wife scan it at her work but scanning creates a file that is too large to upload onto Brown Cafe so my cell-phone pic will have to do. I showed this card to my BA at a recent meeting and he is having a bunch of them printed up on card stock with union letterhead.

I suggest that every driver do this. Its a quick, easy, no-delay method of documenting your day that fits in a shirt pocket. If they are going to call you in the office and shove paper at you, its nice to have some paper of your own to shove back with.
delaylog1.jpg

soberups

If you cant read my writing in the picture, the 14 delay categories are; "package not found or misloaded in car"....."driver release bag/DR to side or rear door of house"...."indirect to manager or neighbor"..."handtruck trips"...."Irregular, oversized, damaged or retape packages"...."OMS messages requiring response"...."call in to center on phone"....:"wait for elevator/open or close gate"...."customer not ready-slow COD or calltag"..."unable to locate address/check with manager for apartment number"....."delay at railroad crossing or drawbridge"...."normal loading zone or dock unavailable"...."walk to delivery/pickup point exceeding 100 yards"...."aggressive dog or delay to to other animal".

Anyone can make these and tailor the delay categories to their own route. The important thing is to have something that folds in half and fits in your pocket behind your delivery notices. Here is a picture of two cards on one sheet of paper. Cut the sheet in half, then fold each card in half and you are good to go. You will be able to keep a stroke-tally of every delay you encountered, with notes on the back (inside) of the card.
delaylog2.jpg

soberups

What would be cool is if someone here on BC with better skills than I could copy what I made onto an Excel or other spreadsheet and format it such that 2 cards fit perfectly onto an 8x11 sheet, and then make it into a file that anybody could download. Once you have printed off one sheet, you could make a bunch of copies and hand them out to your co-workers and they could copy and make their own. I would do it, but I dont know how. I cobbled this thing together with a ruler and a pencil and a cell phone camera, there is plenty of room for improvement.

canoworms

That spreadsheet idea is fantastic. In my building, I have been encouraging the members to keep a journal... but you know how that goes. We all get busy and then forget to write these things down. I wish I had the skills to create the spreadsheet, but if someone does, that sheet will be in 50 drivers hands on Monday morning. This steward thanks you.

EmerCond421

Great idea sober! Just FYI - TDU (Teamsters for a Democratic Union) has available a UPS daily log book that includes these items:

When you punch in and out
When you leave and return to the building
Overtime
Pick-ups
Total stops
Driver release stops
Your car number
Road conditions
Total miles
Lunch and breaks
Problems and delays
Comments and instructions from supervisors

1 logbook for $3.00, 5 or more $2.50. I have not personally seen a logbook, just on TDU website.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Is filling out this "delay card" part of the methods? Nope. Therefore, I can see UPS having issues with this idea. If you throw out this card during a meeting with your center manager, I can hear him asking where in your diad you recorded the time you spent filling it out. Unlike some folks on this forum who are always trying to start trouble, I'm just pointing out a possible issue that could arise from the use of this.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I created the form for ya as an Excell spreadsheet but I guess you cannot upload Excell files on the forum so I changed it to a PDF file. You should be able to download it but wont be able to make any changes to it . PM me if you would like the Excell copy and I could e-mail it to you!!

Attachments

• Daily Delays.pdf
    7.8 KB · Views: 242

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Grocer, very good job on the spreadsheet. You left some open columns so that we can add items which may be unique to our delivery areas.

idrive, you bring up some valid points. Filling out this card is not part of the methods and questions could be raised as to how much time was spent and how it was coded.

I would be curious as to Dragon's opnion on this card and whether it would be a good supporting document or a waste of our time.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Is filling out this "delay card" part of the methods? Nope. Therefore, I can see UPS having issues with this idea. If you throw out this card during a meeting with your center manager, I can hear him asking where in your diad you recorded the time you spent filling it out. Unlike some folks on this forum who are always trying to start trouble, I'm just pointing out a possible issue that could arise from the use of this.
While I can agree that in some cases it could be viewed as a detriment in an investigatory meeting, remember that ups creates the situation in which demands for accurate answers are requested. Sometimes days later. Think of it as a memory jogger for your own protection, not so much as say a Perry Mason moment where you throw it down on the desk like a molotov cocktail.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Also, I've been keeping a similar set of notes with my daily stats, punch, lunch, breaks, delays etc for years. Great peace of mind knowing I have a way of remembering things. If you ever have to sit through an interview where a driver is struggling to recall events that may be days old to justify a production issue, you will have little doubt of the value of such a tool. Great job Sober!

soberups

Great idea sober! Just FYI - TDU (Teamsters for a Democratic Union) has available a UPS daily log book that includes these items:

When you punch in and out
When you leave and return to the building
Overtime
Pick-ups
Total stops
Driver release stops
Your car number
Road conditions
Total miles
Lunch and breaks
Problems and delays
Comments and instructions from supervisors

1 logbook for $3.00, 5 or more $2.50. I have not personally seen a logbook, just on TDU website.

I have seen these log books and they are nice but the problem is that they are too big to fit in a shirt pocket and we dont have time during our workday to leaf thru them and write things. You could use them in addition to one of these cards, but the cards are "handier" for making quick stroke tally marks with.

soberups

It doesnt take any time at all to make a tally mark on a card while you are walking, waiting for an elevator, or stuck in traffic. Anything that involves actual writing should be done on your lunch or break or after work. The tally marks serve as more of a "rough count" memory aid that will allow you to write down additional info at a later time if needed.

soberups

I created the form for ya as an Excell spreadsheet but I guess you cannot upload Excell files on the forum so I changed it to a PDF file. You should be able to download it but wont be able to make any changes to it . PM me if you would like the Excell copy and I could e-mail it to you!!

That is perfect! I like the blank slots for filling in your own route-specific delays. Thank you!

Integrity

Binge Poster
With the company's new push for production, it is more important than ever for us as drivers to keep some sort of a daily log where we document the quality of the load as well as any issues or problems that cost us time. When we get called into the office over a production issue, our management is going to have a clipboard with stacks of Telematics reports and OJS observations and notes, and we need to have our own "stack" of paper so that we can answer specific questions about any delays we might have encountered on a specific day.

I am a big fan of simple. So I designed a "delay card" that, when folded in half, is about the same size as a pad of delivery notices. On this card I put 14 very common delays that every driver tends to encounter, along with 3 columns (8:00AM-noon, noon-4:00, 4:00 and later) where we can count the number of times that particular delay occured using tally strokes. We can make a stroke count while standing at a door, walking back to the car, or sitting in traffic. At the end of the day, we can make whatever notes we want to about overall load condition, miles driven, hours worked etc. on the back side of the card.

The list of delays is by no means complete, and each driver could tailor their own card to the specifics of their route. And I made this card using a ruler and a pencil; a better way to do it would be to make some sort of a spread sheet using Excel, but I lack the necessary computer skills. The size of the card means that you could fit two of them on a single piece of 8x11 copy paper and then cut each sheet in half to make two cards. I have included a picture of the one I made; I also had my wife scan it at her work but scanning creates a file that is too large to upload onto Brown Cafe so my cell-phone pic will have to do. I showed this card to my BA at a recent meeting and he is having a bunch of them printed up on card stock with union letterhead.

I suggest that every driver do this. Its a quick, easy, no-delay method of documenting your day that fits in a shirt pocket. If they are going to call you in the office and shove paper at you, its nice to have some paper of your own to shove back with.

What would be cool is if someone here on BC with better skills than I could copy what I made onto an Excel or other spreadsheet and format it such that 2 cards fit perfectly onto an 8x11 sheet, and then make it into a file that anybody could download. Once you have printed off one sheet, you could make a bunch of copies and hand them out to your co-workers and they could copy and make their own. I would do it, but I dont know how. I cobbled this thing together with a ruler and a pencil and a cell phone camera, there is plenty of room for improvement.

soberups andgrgrcr88,

This is amazing! I am so encouraged by this.

Union members uniting and helping each other.

This is just great!

Sincerely,
I

outta hours

So sad that such a hard working bunch are so over scrutinized that it would result in creating such a spread sheet.That you need to document every delay to protect yourself. I am very afraid of where this company is headed. It has always been about production, but it is bordering on absurdity now.

It has gone way beyond the "sense of urgency" I was trained in. I still keep in touch with some of my pkg. car friends. The daily horror stories I hear border on insanity. Some routes have doubled in stop counts since I have had them. How is that possible? I can't imagine that PAS or EDD make that big of a difference. Accidents and injuries are way up , as is absenteeism. Most of them work till 7-8 at night now. The Texas heat is deadly, and I don't think a hydration PCM or checklist is the answer. But each day they go out with more work.

I could go on ( like old timers do ) but will not hijack the thread. I encourage all of you to do your best daily. And to work safe for your protection, and that of your family. On a side note, in feeders you don't need a delay check list:happy2:

QKRSTKR

What a good job by you guys. I think it's great. I like the dock full column. That 's one that happens quite frequently to me which usually does cause a big delay.

I think as far a management is concercned, I don't think you have to show anything to them. If they are leading an investigatory interview directing questions at you, you have the right to recall the information anyway you can. If they know you are keeping track of stuff like this, they may not pull you in office as much. Those are BS sessions anyways. They really don't want to know, they just want you to go faster.