Dodge ProMaster cargo van

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by HomeDelivery, Nov 15, 2013.

1. HomeDelivery

HomeDelivery Well-Known Member

well, last peak i had the pleasure of driving the Nissan NV cargo van... box on wheels with a long hoodline... controls are euro-like the Freightliner/Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter

this peak i walked upon a new vehicle in the lot: a Dodge Promaster ?!?:knockedout:

Review: 2014 RAM ProMaster Cargo Van (With Video) | The Truth About Cars

it's similar to that Nissan NV cargovan ~ a box on wheels

but, really pugly front end ~ it's like an invasion of the euro-cargo-vehicles

625733-frank_the_dog_men_in_black.jpgcontrols are euro-like the Freightliner/Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter as well

FWD! whoa... so you better rotate them tires front-to-back to even out the tread wear

what's up with all these Sprinter-like vehicles coming to the US?!?

still cheaper than the Sprinters that Express bought for their newer fleet & i will favor the Isuzu Reach

or Utilimaster's Ford E450 stepvans if i have "heavy" routes...
  2. dezguy

dezguy Well-Known Member

Looks like the old Dodge Sprinter I had a few years back. Glad Express bought me a nice Benz to drive. Unfortunately they use that as an excuse to slow my pay progression. "We had to upgrade our fleet and buy a couple of new planes, so we don't have the money to give you anything more than a 1.25% raise this year.

Over ten years with the company and I'm still no where near top out
  3. vantexan

vantexan Well-Known Member

Truck Trend Magazine has a review of the ProMaster in the latest issue. They really like it.
  4. Mr. 7

Mr. 7 The monkey on the left.

Guess what?
    Who cares?!
    You're gonna drive whatever they give you, like it or, not.
  5. HomeDelivery

i don't care; i can drive anything, including manual transmission vehicles...

i only care if the contractor i'm working for doesn't give a crap about maintaining their own fleet or pay too little for my efforts to help them service their areas

this is just "shop-talk" & should make Mr Smith start to 2nd-guess his bright idea to get MERCEDES instead of something cheaper & still reliable

just to mix things up a bit in this section instead of ye old Express-whining

6. STFXG

STFXG Well-Known Member

The new Mercedes is getting around 23 mpg. They are very reliable. The only problem is the lack of mechanics that can actually work on them.

I like the promasters. Interested to hear what kind of mileage they are getting. But I am waiting for the full sized ford transit to hit the market before I update my fleet.
  7. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

I'm looking to the Transit as well. Ford drivetrains seem to take the abuse better. There's a 5.4l in the building with 570,000 miles on the original engine.
  8. Mr. 7

Mr. 7 The monkey on the left.

That's unbelievable.
  9. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

I would think so too if I hadn't driven it myself. Not uncommon to see 350 to 400,000 but this one is pretty amazing.
  10. HomeDelivery

dunno about the V6 gas engines, with minivan-type auto transmission but the diesel engine looks promising:

i'm going to ask if i can drive the low-ceiling one for the next few weeks...

why are you thinking about getting the XL version of the transit? couldn't you just get the tried-and-proven current Ford E250-350-450 cutaways & slap an aftermarket box body with shelves on it right now?
  11. vantexan

Ford is discontinuing the Econoline. The Transit is replacing it. Soon there will only be Transit cutaways. And here's the thing, the Transit has been a tried-and-proven platform in Europe and elsewhere for a couple of decades now. Wins awards all the time. There won't be a couple of years to work out new model bugs, they're worked out.
  12. HomeDelivery

ahh, so no wonder why a couple of contractors are buying lots of the E-350/450 models with the Utilimaster stepvan bodies this year...
  13. vantexan

Quite a few RV manufacturers are going to have retool too.