Does a disability override seniority on a bid?

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
A combo job came up and i decided to take the paycut plunge, i won the seniority part hands down but i was told by HR the job was given to another driver because the union and co. came to a agreement on a ADA issue. Legal?

UPSGUY72

If the other person has a medical issue that prohibits them from driving then UPS needs to make a job for them on the inside. They are not suppose to stick them in an open position that position should go out to bid.

Grieve it....

oldngray

nowhere special
If the other person has a medical issue that prohibits them from driving then UPS needs to make a job for them on the inside. They are not suppose to stick them in an open position that position should go out to bid.

Grieve it....

Agreed. That would be an extra side deal that violates the contract.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Agreed. That would be an extra side deal that violates the contract.

We had a driver who had a bad habit of hitting things while driving. She had 3 Tier 3's within 12 months. The Union and Company agreed to create a 22.3 job just for her----no one else can bid on it and it will be abolished when she no longer works here.

To the OP----yeah, you would look like a dick if you grieved it, but if the bid was posted with no restrictions and you are the most senior qualified employee to sign the bid sheet then the position would be yours.

P700slave

Any federal law dealings with this situation would trump our contact. Read what the law says and go from there. Could be some gray area in the interpretation however. Good luck.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Any federal law dealings with this situation would trump our contact. Read what the law says and go from there. Could be some gray area in the interpretation however. Good luck.
ive decided to not pursue it, hes a good guy, had hip replacement yrs ago and is falling apart. I was surprised and upset at first but i have put a little thought into it

UPSGUY72

You could grieve it, probably successfully but I pick my battles. I'd rather pass on it than look like a :censored2: to everyone

With that thinking either way he's going to look like a :censored2: to some people. He needs to get over what other people might think about him and stand up for his rights. We have a contract UPS should follow it everyday not just when it's convenient for them.

I personally could careless about what other people think about me ass opinion are like A-- holes everyone has one about everything you need to be able to get over it and move on with what is best for you not someone else.

T

Turdferguson

How would taking that bid be different than bumping someone off a route? Do you think someone is a :censored2: when they do that

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
How would taking that bid be different than bumping someone off a route? Do you think someone is a :censored2: when they do that

I don't like being bumped by senior drivers but, it's the business.

I don't particularly enjoy bumping junior employees but, it's the business.

I won't ask or expect for more than, what has been negotiated for me through the collective bargaining agreement.

Likewise, I'll expect everyone around me to do the same.

Sent using a Potato

T

Turdferguson

I don't like being bumped by senior drivers but, it's the business.

I don't particularly enjoy bumping junior employees but, it's the business.

I won't ask or expect for more than, what has been negotiated for me through the collective bargaining agreement.

Likewise, I'll expect everyone around me to do the same.

Sent using a Potato
Well spoken.. and with a potato no less.