Does a Driver or Loader Physicaly Work Harder or Faster Now?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
+1........ I agree, I wasnt reffering to myself though I was reffering to the mass of UPSers that I personally see it affect.:peaceful:

You might think differently if they are riding with you many times a month...for some people they will try to go faster to deal with the harassment...and then POW...you pop a disk in your back and your driving career is over.....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Its true that only you can push yourself harder, managment can only do so much.what they do though is make it to where if you work at a controlled pace the area runs like sh** and the day drags by and is so much harder than if you would have just hustled and worked harder.I cant stand days where the area is blown up and nothing goes smoth,it makes the day so messed up you really end up working harder that way.

pretty sad when you cant work at a controlled pace without everything going wrong. IMO, ups doesnt know how long things take in the real world from just having so many years of manipulation from the runners and from IE....

SWORDFISH

You might think differently if they are riding with you many times a month...for some people they will try to go faster to deal with the harassment...and then POW...you pop a disk in your back and your driving career is over.....

You need to read article 37 in the national master about employee management conduct and inform others that are being ridden w/ alot the same. It says

"The employer shall not in any way intimidate, harass, coerce, or overly supervise any employee in the performance of his or her duties."

So they cannot do what your saying and if they are now you are equipped to do something about it or help somebody else.:peaceful:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You need to read article 37 in the national master about employee management conduct and inform others that are being ridden w/ alot the same. It says

"The employer shall not in any way intimidate, harass, coerce, or overly supervise any employee in the performance of his or her duties."

So they cannot do what your saying and if they are now you are equipped to do something about it or help somebody else.:peaceful:

Sups are going out everyday, although they seem to be giving less 3 days rides but for some its just a dog and pony show...they dont want to go out but are being told they must. I believe the art 37 language is weak and would have some pay froze for the next contract if better language was proposed on 8 hour days and harassment....

SWORDFISH

Sups are going out everyday, although they seem to be giving less 3 days rides but for some its just a dog and pony show...they dont want to go out but are being told they must. I believe the art 37 language is weak and would have some pay froze for the next contract if better language was proposed on 8 hour days and harassment....

Its only weak if you let it be. It works here. They go out alot here w/ the people that wont stand up to them.:peaceful:

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Based upon my observations the physical effort exerted today is less than it was years ago in most jobs. Despite this, people in general are more productive due to improvements in equipment and technology.

A walk through a hub, a car wash operation, preload, local sort is appalling to see the lack of effort and total disregard on the part of many people. In the case of drivers this is not necessarily true because the drivers job is much easier to measure the amount of work done.

Is it fair that drivers are held to strict production standards, but many other positions are not?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am confused--I thought PPH and Misload Frequency were used to measure production and accuracy, respectively.

I would think that at $30/hr drivers should be held to a higher standard in all aspects of the job.