Does anybody else find it humorous...

iruhnman630

...that we deliver thousands of packages to post offices and yet one small package driver released in a mailbox could earn a conversation with a judge?

Just a thought.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
If you're referring to SurePost packages, UPS is acting as a consolidator in participating in the USPS's Parcel Post program; shippers are paying UPS to transport their packages, and UPS transports these packages to local post offices near delivery and then pay the USPS to make the final mile delivery. UPS is the USPS's consumer. Right before Christmas, we had a local post office refuse to accept SurePost packages because they did not have the capacity to handle them at that moment in time.

If you're referring to non-SurePost packages... there's very few and most post offices use to refuse them. I find it ironic they get their uniforms delivered from UPS, given that it costs them virtually nothing to have them shipped in-house but that's the vendor's choice. Vendor can probably overcharge them on shipping that way...

JL 0513

I get why we can't put envelopes and very small packages in mail boxes but if you think about it, the post office has no right to claim them as their boxes exclusively. Does the post office own residential boxes? Nope. The homeowner bought and installed their mailbox.

I'm sure it's UPS's made up rule as much as it is the post office's, but it creates a huge waste of resources when UPS has to pay a guy $32.xx/hr to walk down a long driveway to put an envelope in the door rather than being able to just slip it in the mailbox at the street.

I have some driveways that are a 5 minute round trip walk. More like private roads but some I can't drive down and turn around. So aggravating to pass a mailbox with just an envelope in my hand. I know, paid the hour.....

satellitedriver

I get why we can't put envelopes and very small packages in mail boxes but if you think about it, the post office has no right to claim them as their boxes exclusively. Does the post office own residential boxes? Nope. The homeowner bought and installed their mailbox.
The way it works is;
The customer owns the mailbox and must maintain it, the Postal Service owns the air space within the box, by Federal decree.
There is a fine of $300 for any non-postal person placing anything into the mailbox.

Rubber Puckies

I think UPS should develop a post box system. Should put them at customers long driveways. Save tons of time, and in bad weather would prevent ECs or getting stuck if you happened to go down it. I love customers that have a package box.

Ouch

Some of my old customers got together and made a box out of steel and welded a locking system on it. I had a key and when they got stuff almost daily for them I would leave it in the box instead of two wheeling it up a 1/2 mile driveway. They were great people.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If you're referring to SurePost packages, UPS is acting as a consolidator in participating in the USPS's Parcel Post program; shippers are paying UPS to transport their packages, and UPS transports these packages to local post offices near delivery and then pay the USPS to make the final mile delivery. UPS is the USPS's consumer. Right before Christmas, we had a local post office refuse to accept SurePost packages because they did not have the capacity to handle them at that moment in time.

If you're referring to non-SurePost packages... there's very few and most post offices use to refuse them. I find it ironic they get their uniforms delivered from UPS, given that it costs them virtually nothing to have them shipped in-house but that's the vendor's choice. Vendor can probably overcharge them on shipping that way...
Actually we have something new going on I'm not sure what it is. Twice since Xmas I have had large packages with a ups label shipped from one post office to another. The package then has a USPS label for the final destination.

Rubber Puckies

Some of my old customers got together and made a box out of steel and welded a locking system on it. I had a key and when they got stuff almost daily for them I would leave it in the box instead of two wheeling it up a 1/2 mile driveway. They were great people.

Half mile?! I'm just a temp driver but my on car sup trained me to go in any driveway that looked "long" or the house was out of sight. Heck even if we needed to do a direction change we would go in short ones.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Does the post office own residential boxes? Nope. The homeowner bought and installed their mailbox.
The way it works is;
The customer owns the mailbox and must maintain it, the Postal Service owns the air space within the box, by Federal decree.
There is a fine of $300 for any non-postal person placing anything into the mailbox.

Mailboxes are considered federal property, and federal law (Title 18, United States Code, Section 1705), makes it a crime to vandalize them (and to injure, deface or destroy any mail deposited in them). Violators can be fined up to $250,000 or imprisoned for up to three years for each act of vandalism.

And as far as putting stuff in them, the customer pays UPS to bring the package to the door. They only expect USPS to leave their mail in the mailbox.
If you're waiting for a package from UPS, are you thinking "wonder when the driver will come by and leave that at my mailbox 100 yards away?" No, you keep looking out your front door to see if it's on the porch where it's supposed to be left.

Rubber Puckies

Mailboxes are considered federal property, and federal law (Title 18, United States Code, Section 1705), makes it a crime to vandalize them (and to injure, deface or destroy any mail deposited in them). Violators can be fined up to $250,000 or imprisoned for up to three years for each act of vandalism.

And as far as putting stuff in them, the customer pays UPS to bring the package to the door. They only expect USPS to leave their mail in the mailbox.
If you're waiting for a package from UPS, are you thinking "wonder when the driver will come by and leave that at my mailbox 100 yards away?" No, you keep looking out your front door to see if it's on the porch where it's supposed to be left.

Is it a crime to open it up and check the address on the mail for those wonderful customers that have resorted to have race cars and flames on it vice numbers?

Cementups

Box Monkey
Is it a crime to open it up and check the address on the mail for those wonderful customers that have resorted to have race cars and flames on it vice numbers?

technically speaking, yes you can open it up to look at the mail but you are not allowed to TOUCH the mail. Had a couple of postmasters tell me the same thing so it must be true.

Of course, I will tell you, on my old route I use to DR mailbox a ton of stuff. But I also had an agreement with the carriers that I wouldn't block the mailboxes so they could still get their mail in. 7 years on that route and never a problem.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

I'm sure it's UPS's made up rule as much as it is the post office's, but it creates a huge waste of resources when UPS has to pay a guy $32.xx/hr to walk down a long driveway to put an envelope in the door rather than being able to just slip it in the mailbox at the street.

I have some driveways that are a 5 minute round trip walk. More like private roads but some I can't drive down and turn around. So aggravating to pass a mailbox with just an envelope in my hand. I know, paid the hour.....

Never knew that we couldn't deliver packages into mailboxes.