Does anybody like their job?

705red

Browncafe Steward
I've been here 20 years and like many before me...from preload and on my way to management. I came here for a job at 30 when I went back to college because I needed the benefits and planned to be here for no more than 3 years. The work is hard and aggravating and not everyone can do it or stick it out. Those that do seem to have a strong sense of pride. I remeber talking to a group of new drivers and for the most part you needed about 10 to 12 years of seniority to go full time. I asked the to look around the room and then think back to how many people they started with and how many people they've known that are no longer here. You could immediately see in their face that they knew they were special and not just anybody can do this job.

I went through the time where everything made me angry and it's real easy that when someone complains to jump on the boat and start griping. When that happens you start viewing everything that happens around you as a personal attack and then the "poor me" syndrome. I did and I'm sure many others have as well. And when I went into management it got worse. About the time it was the worst a new manager transferred in. He had more experience in a larger variety of the business and started to show me how all of our functions link together. I started getting a larger appreciation of our business.

I've had managers in my face noses to nose cursing me when I was a preloader all the way to attending a united way dinner locally and finding myself sitting next to Oz Nelson at the dinner table. Only at UPS can this happen.

I've come to realize that there are a lot of great UPS folks all over the world and there are good managers and employees and bad managers and employees. Mutual respect seems to be the way to get along. I try to remember that I have not walked in a lot of other peoples shoes (I know, cliche') but honestly it's true.

No job is perfect and for me this has been a great ride. I'm doing things now I never dreamed I would be doing. Only at UPS. Take it a day at a time, do the best I can, work on what I can impact and not spend anytime getting worked up about things I can't change. I also ask questions and seek knowledge of how other departments and operations work. When you think of what we do in one day around the world..not even one day, say 12 hours, we have a lot to be proud of and don't let anybody tell you different.

I have two daughters and son and they have grown up with UPS and I wouldn't hesitate to tell them to work here....but..I would also tell them that if they were looking for a kick back job or a show up when you want to job don't even try. We have to many people around the world that depend on us for their jobs to not take it seriously.

Just my thought's
Excellent post! Welcome and please post!

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I've been here 20 years and like many before me...from preload and on my way to management. I came here for a job at 30 when I went back to college because I needed the benefits and planned to be here for no more than 3 years. The work is hard and aggravating and not everyone can do it or stick it out. Those that do seem to have a strong sense of pride. I remeber talking to a group of new drivers and for the most part you needed about 10 to 12 years of seniority to go full time. I asked the to look around the room and then think back to how many people they started with and how many people they've known that are no longer here. You could immediately see in their face that they knew they were special and not just anybody can do this job.

I went through the time where everything made me angry and it's real easy that when someone complains to jump on the boat and start griping. When that happens you start viewing everything that happens around you as a personal attack and then the "poor me" syndrome. I did and I'm sure many others have as well. And when I went into management it got worse. About the time it was the worst a new manager transferred in. He had more experience in a larger variety of the business and started to show me how all of our functions link together. I started getting a larger appreciation of our business.

I've had managers in my face noses to nose cursing me when I was a preloader all the way to attending a united way dinner locally and finding myself sitting next to Oz Nelson at the dinner table. Only at UPS can this happen.

I've come to realize that there are a lot of great UPS folks all over the world and there are good managers and employees and bad managers and employees. Mutual respect seems to be the way to get along. I try to remember that I have not walked in a lot of other peoples shoes (I know, cliche') but honestly it's true.

No job is perfect and for me this has been a great ride. I'm doing things now I never dreamed I would be doing. Only at UPS. Take it a day at a time, do the best I can, work on what I can impact and not spend anytime getting worked up about things I can't change. I also ask questions and seek knowledge of how other departments and operations work. When you think of what we do in one day around the world..not even one day, say 12 hours, we have a lot to be proud of and don't let anybody tell you different.

I have two daughters and son and they have grown up with UPS and I wouldn't hesitate to tell them to work here....but..I would also tell them that if they were looking for a kick back job or a show up when you want to job don't even try. We have to many people around the world that depend on us for their jobs to not take it seriously.

Just my thought's
Well said Troutman. Welcome to bc and I look forward to your future posts.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
It is often said that the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference,

In a very short period of time, I have become utterly indifferent with regards to my employ at UPS. I don't like feeling that way - very rarely feel indifferent about anything.

trickpony1

It is often said that the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference,

In a very short period of time, I have become utterly indifferent with regards to my employ at UPS. I don't like feeling that way - very rarely feel indifferent about anything.

Indifference has high survival value unless, of course, you enjoy the "double bind" situations and the resulting frustration, anger, anxiety and depression.

Once the company figures out that you really don't give a flip they will stop "messing" with you.