Does anybody like their job?

upsdude

Since I’ll soon have 23 years I need to decide if this (package driver) is going to be a career.

Seriously though, I really do like my job. I could do without some of the management I’ve worked for, but I’m sure some of them could have done without me as well.

Hating your job one day a week is healthy, makes you appreciate the good days.

tieguy

Banned
In a way I guess I'm like everyone else. Like my job despise some of my bosses. My boss is at the divison manager level. There was a time when I started with this company when most divison managers were pretty good and most came up locally and knew everyone.

In todays world most are imported carpet baggers from somewhere else and many must have failed a psych test to get promoted to divison manager. I've seen some really bizarre personality types from the divison manager hiding in his office type to the vulger bi polar female types.

divison managers no longer have the autonomy to run thier operations. they are now micro managed by district managers as if they were brand new supervisors.

I face a constant battle in todays world. If a driver of mine gets hurt or has an accident then its not his fault it is mine. I did not observe the person before he/she had an accident , observe that person working unsafely and correct his behavior with a warning letter. Thus I now find myself having to answer questions such as "how many warning letters did you give out" as part of how I am evaluated. Never mind that my feeder group has not had an accident in a month or an injury in three weeks.
It comes with the terroritory. I consider it part of my job to deflect some of this type of thinking. I often wonder if my drivers realize that a talk with is doing them a favor. I have no problem giving out discipline to those I observe being grossly unsafe. But discipline should never be a number that is counted to determine your effectiveness in managing your group.

anyway thats my vent. :happy-very:

chev

Nightcrawler
Love my job, hate......ok, dislike the company.:wink2:
I hate managers out to make a name for themselves regardless of the peons they have to step on to get a step up. Piss on em!
(or not if they are on fire) :D
"how many warning letters did you give out"
Perfect example of why I hate them. Always out to make an example of someone or meet some ridiculous quota.
I often wonder if my drivers realize that a talk with is doing them a favor.
A perfect example of a sup I respect for being a regular decent guy. There have been times when my sup could have, by his manager's standards, given me a warning letter, but did not. I respect him for that.

Last edited:

wrecker

Bar none, package car is the best job at UPS. The contacts you meet in the business environment are extraordinary. It does have its drawbacks. The long hours away from your wife and children are very hard on your family. And some of the discord that arises with management is disheartening. But the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Obviously never been in feeders. :)

705red

Browncafe Steward
I enjoy being a package car driver. I love the customers, do not mind the physical work, but do hate the long hours and sometimes the simple miscommunications with management, like too many air stops.

I can not remember the last time i was in the office for myself? 5 years ago? But as a steward i see the ugly side of this business. I sometimes ask myself why do i do it? Life would be so much easier going in to work working and going home!

blue efficacy

A job that has good pay and benefits that does not require a skill is not going to be a job everyone likes.

That said, I don't like my job but don't hate it, either.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I love my job when I'm driving in feeders. This is the best trucking job I've ever had. Discouraging to hear people constantly complaining about the job. Can't wait to get back to my feeder position.

Fnix

In a way I guess I'm like everyone else. Like my job despise some of my bosses. My boss is at the divison manager level. There was a time when I started with this company when most divison managers were pretty good and most came up locally and knew everyone.

In todays world most are imported carpet baggers from somewhere else and many must have failed a psych test to get promoted to divison manager. I've seen some really bizarre personality types from the divison manager hiding in his office type to the vulger bi polar female types.

divison managers no longer have the autonomy to run thier operations. they are now micro managed by district managers as if they were brand new supervisors.

I face a constant battle in todays world. If a driver of mine gets hurt or has an accident then its not his fault it is mine. I did not observe the person before he/she had an accident , observe that person working unsafely and correct his behavior with a warning letter. Thus I now find myself having to answer questions such as "how many warning letters did you give out" as part of how I am evaluated. Never mind that my feeder group has not had an accident in a month or an injury in three weeks.
It comes with the terroritory. I consider it part of my job to deflect some of this type of thinking. I often wonder if my drivers realize that a talk with is doing them a favor. I have no problem giving out discipline to those I observe being grossly unsafe. But discipline should never be a number that is counted to determine your effectiveness in managing your group.

anyway thats my vent. :happy-very:

You give a good example on "**** rolls down hill". Most of managements decisions are not theirs!

abc123

I'm in small sorts, and I absolutely love my job. My coworkers and I all have fun, talk to each other and stuff. And we get our job done. I kind of make a game out of it. I try to see how many packages i can fit into one bag. I love checking how many packages I've scanned at the end of the night.

My part time supe is nice and helpful. Every Tuesday we have a little 10 minute meeting where our full time supe(who's really nice and approachable and knows everyone's name) announces the first 4 or 5 people who had the best frequency for the week and we get jackets or tshirts or hats. It's fun to compete and try to get that tshirt, even if it is just a tshirt.

I mean, I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't get paid for it, but I do and I get paid nicely. Even if some people think 9.50 is **** pay, I'm just a college student, and I don't have a degree, yet. And speaking of being a college student, UPS pays for 3 grand a year of my education. That pays for my entire community college tuition.

And even though, I am in smalls, when you fill those bags with 30, 5-pound packages, they get pretty heavy so I do get a little bit of a workout, for free.

The only thing I DONT like about my job is I don't get as many hours as I wish I could. I'd rather be working like 5-6 hours a day instead of 3.5-4. But, thats the economy for you.

Everyone's circumstances are different though, I must just be lucky.

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
I have made it to the Promised Land. It is a good job!
And it is the Promised land!!!:wink2:

I'm in small sorts, and I absolutely love my job. My coworkers and I all have fun, talk to each other and stuff. And we get our job done. I kind of make a game out of it. I try to see how many packages i can fit into one bag. I love checking how many packages I've scanned at the end of the night.

My part time supe is nice and helpful. Every Tuesday we have a little 10 minute meeting where our full time supe(who's really nice and approachable and knows everyone's name) announces the first 4 or 5 people who had the best frequency for the week and we get jackets or tshirts or hats. It's fun to compete and try to get that tshirt, even if it is just a tshirt.

I mean, I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't get paid for it, but I do and I get paid nicely. Even if some people think 9.50 is **** pay, I'm just a college student, and I don't have a degree, yet. And speaking of being a college student, UPS pays for 3 grand a year of my education. That pays for my entire community college tuition.

And even though, I am in smalls, when you fill those bags with 30, 5-pound packages, they get pretty heavy so I do get a little bit of a workout, for free.

The only thing I DONT like about my job is I don't get as many hours as I wish I could. I'd rather be working like 5-6 hours a day instead of 3.5-4. But, thats the economy for you.

Everyone's circumstances are different though, I must just be lucky.
I think thats a great attitude and your only part- part time LOL. I think it would be nice if more people (fulltime) would have an understanding like yours!! Well said

and as far as me, I absolutly love my job!! 29.51 an hour, free bennys, paid time off, ok management, don't mind my hours, and an understanding family, what guy or girl can ask for more. I'm a very lucky 25 year old. But there are days I have a tough time with things, I'm human and it happens.:happy2:

over9five

Staff member
See? MFB is happy. He'll be my mechanic when I return to Package.

I won't have to deal with Mr Grumpy tractor mechanic! (All the other tractor mechanics are great!)

<Know who I mean, MFB???>

iowa boy

To borrow a quote from MonavieLeaker and his signature line, "I Love UPS....I Just Hate How They Run It". Pretty much sums up my feelings.

Thanks Monavie for letting me borrow your signature line

A

anonymous6

I love my job when I'm driving in feeders. This is the best trucking job I've ever had. Discouraging to hear people constantly complaining about the job. Can't wait to get back to my feeder position.

I agree with you about this being the best trucking job there is. I feel sorry for a lot of you people that have never worked anywhere else except UPS. I worked almost 30 jobs and 12 different trucking jobs before working here and there is no comparison.

sure , i don't like the bs from management sometimes but I'd rather put up with it than working 20 hrs a day like I used to or be fired. fixing my company truck or be let go, working with broken fingers or toes like I have or be told to hit the road, doing a lot of work unpaid or see you later driver. working sick.

a 60 hr week was a vacation. i put in a lot of 100 hr weeks for $400-500 back in the early 80's and i was lucky to get it. On my last job before UPS I was making $9 and hr driving a logging truck, No sick days, no vacations, no paid holidays. if you called in sick, you lost your truck. Even today, most non union drivers don't get half of what we get. No benefits for most of them too.

most of my working life has been for non union companies and you guys think you have to put up with a bunch of crap, why don't you speak to non union drivers for a change?

Most of you guys just don't know how good you have it. complain, complain, complain.

after 15 years here the poor attitude becomes contagious. I try to stay away from the mopes at work. My wife laughs at me when I complain. She says "I remember when you........"

If you don't like your job, then quit and try the real world. ( and I can move up ) get a reality check.

Anyways, that's my rant. I love the feeder work for the most part. if only i could just come to work and do the job without any interference, it would be almost perfect, ha ha.

I'll get some negatives about this but it's the truth.

chev

Nightcrawler
I agree with you about this being the best trucking job there is. I feel sorry for a lot of you people that have never worked anywhere else except UPS. I worked almost 30 jobs and 12 different trucking jobs before working here and there is no comparison.

sure , i don't like the bs from management sometimes but I'd rather put up with it than working 20 hrs a day like I used to or be fired. fixing my company truck or be let go, working with broken fingers or toes like I have or be told to hit the road, doing a lot of work unpaid or see you later driver. working sick.

a 60 hr week was a vacation. i put in a lot of 100 hr weeks for $400-500 back in the early 80's and i was lucky to get it. On my last job before UPS I was making $9 and hr driving a logging truck, No sick days, no vacations, no paid holidays. if you called in sick, you lost your truck. Even today, most non union drivers don't get half of what we get. No benefits for most of them too.

most of my working life has been for non union companies and you guys think you have to put up with a bunch of crap, why don't you speak to non union drivers for a change?

Most of you guys just don't know how good you have it. complain, complain, complain.

after 15 years here the poor attitude becomes contagious. I try to stay away from the mopes at work. My wife laughs at me when I complain. She says "I remember when you........"

If you don't like your job, then quit and try the real world. ( and I can move up ) get a reality check.

Anyways, that's my rant. I love the feeder work for the most part. if only i could just come to work and do the job without any interference, it would be almost perfect, ha ha.

I'll get some negatives about this but it's the truth.
:happy-very: You are 100% right. Most drivers don't know how good they really have it. I have worked here nearly 20 years and talked to many drivers from other companies. All of them ask me how to get in at UPS.
We really do have it pretty damn good.