Does anybody like their job?

Dagoof

I like the job, the route, and the customers. Just give me a reasonable days work and leave me alone to do the job. I will get it done with a coke and a smile. Im having a hard time with calling the company UPS any more. All of the numbers BS is taking the

brownrodster

Is Is there anybody that the whole package works for, that gets along with management, that doesn't have a underlying resentment of the company eating them up?

I tolerate this job because of the amazing pay. And I like being in a different place everyday. The job is ok. I don't mind it. I have no problem doing it. I avoid management and just fly under the radar. I can go weeks without speaking to a management person. And it's that way on purpose. I don't speak them them. It's not a horrible job.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I like my job. Plan and simple. But there are going to be bad days, and no matter how hard you try, there are gonna be days that you have to force your self to go to work.
Since I am in feeders, I rarely see Management. Most of the time, they are gone when I start, and too busy to bother me when I knock off. Working nights does have it's advantages.

I have worked 9.5.-10-11 hour days for so long that is makes it hard for me to enjoy even the parts of the job I used to love. It's a fact that I am getting to old and too broken down physically to continue with that kind of schedule. I admit that I have a bad(in managements assessment) attitude. There was a time that if I (and most other drivers) had an obvious easy day and someone else was blown away would off to take a few stops off them so we both could have decent days. Now, the day that any driver has an easy day are few and far between. I don't see anyone offering to help others.
I believe that my decline in positive attitude has been driven by bad company decisions (like going public)made by people that truly care nothing about UPS except for the pay check and promotions they receive ,much like the feeling I have for our current CEO and the one before him. I understand that UPS must make a profit, I understand they have to try to get their money's worth out of their employees, but if making that profit is the only true concern(which I believe it is) we are all in big trouble.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

It comes with the terroritory. I consider it part of my job to deflect some of this type of thinking.

That has always been one of my observations and beliefs of a manager at UPS ... nothing new there. Managers have to filter out all the goober ideas and knee-jerk reactionary directions from above. Keep everybody's eye on the ball and on an even keel.
My boss now does a very good job of this...I am thankful.

You sum it up well. I coudnt rep ya. Have a great week.
To know that others share the same view is reward enough for me. To me that's all that rep points are for, to show either support or non-support. I'm glad to know that you and UPSDUDE share the same opinion.

screamin chicken

I also like my job but the management team sure has changed within the last 3 yrs. to the worst, it seems that the closer you get to your goal of retirement is when they start to pick at you. As far as the pay the union is the one that gets us what we are getting, if it was left to brown they would give us 10.00 bucks an hr.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
To know that others share the same view is reward enough for me. To me that's all that rep points are for, to show either support or non-support. I'm glad to know that you and UPSDUDE share the same opinion.

And me as well. There are probably quite a few that would agree, Trpl.

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
See? MFB is happy. He'll be my mechanic when I return to Package.

I won't have to deal with Mr Grumpy tractor mechanic! (All the other tractor mechanics are great!)
<Know who I mean, MFB???>
Grumpy,:grrr:is that what you call him, lol.
I do know who too, but there is more than one grumpy mechanic in the tractor shop!!!:rofl:

tae111

I was in package for 24 years and that was getting old. I'm in feeders 9 years now and I like my job. Just go to work, do your job, go home. Hours arn't that great but 1/100th of the UPS pressure. You guys in package really do earn your money.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
lol @ the girl in smalls being the happiest about her job. One of the ugliest things I see at UPS (and this is not just a shot-in-the-dark, this is reality) are women clearly being treated better than men. In 3 buildings and many years you see the trend of favortism - and it's nothing really "secret" but probably something most people don't talk about - and it isn't obviously just a M/friend favortism all the time.

UPS to me is just a way to make money. Sure, I could quit and make more money doing what I was doing before I started at UPS. But the money is OK ($23.47/hr) and of course money isn't everything. The benefits are far superior, pension, and job security. I don't care for politics, don't care for the game, just go in and do my job everyday and try to go home safely.

Do I like it? No. It is worthwhile so I keep coming back for more? Yes.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I wish we didnt all share that opinion. But we are just those grumpy people that complain, complain, yada yada,. I remember thinking the same thing. Those who have more, want less, those who have less want more. The way of the world.

55andout?

I like my job and I am in management. Over the last couple of years the company has actually tried to make the On Car Sup job more bearable because national ERI scores showed that our position was the "least happy". Hours worked are much less then in the past. Even when I was working many hours I really didnt complain much. Nobody made me come to work at UPS and I am always free to leave.

abc123

lol @ the girl in smalls being the happiest about her job. One of the ugliest things I see at UPS (and this is not just a shot-in-the-dark, this is reality) are women clearly being treated better than men. In 3 buildings and many years you see the trend of favortism - and it's nothing really "secret" but probably something most people don't talk about - and it isn't obviously just a M/friend favortism all the time.

UPS to me is just a way to make money. Sure, I could quit and make more money doing what I was doing before I started at UPS. But the money is OK ($23.47/hr) and of course money isn't everything. The benefits are far superior, pension, and job security. I don't care for politics, don't care for the game, just go in and do my job everyday and try to go home safely.

Do I like it? No. It is worthwhile so I keep coming back for more? Yes.

I'm not trying to argue or anything, but could you elaborate a little more on how women are treated better than men? In my center, there's probably around 40 people working the local sort. There's around.. maybe 6 or 7 women, including me (and no, we're not all in smalls.) Almost everyone on my shift, men and women, comes in smiling and in a good mood, and there is just a good atmosphere all around. Like I said before, I might have just lucked out with my shift, supes, and building. However, I know that it's not JUST me or JUST the women who enjoy working for UPS.