Does anyone else dream of a day when UPS will be a better place to work?

blkmamba

UPS will only become better when they realize the value of the employee and put less emphasis on the ridiculous pph. Every year the pph of loaders in my building goes up, but no incentives for the employee. Lucky for me I have never had a "bad" employee, and it helps that I have a personal commitment to never yell at one of my employee. Far too often I see another supervisor yelling at employee and that employee looking back at them like "whatever". When "we" as management actually care about our employees as individuals and the employees respect management to the point they do not want to let them down we will have a much better place to work. Sadly, this will never happen.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS will only become better when they realize the value of the employee and put less emphasis on the ridiculous pph. Every year the pph of loaders in my building goes up, but no incentives for the employee. Lucky for me I have never had a "bad" employee, and it helps that I have a personal commitment to never yell at one of my employee. Far too often I see another supervisor yelling at employee and that employee looking back at them like "whatever". When "we" as management actually care about our employees as individuals and the employees respect management to the point they do not want to let them down we will have a much better place to work. Sadly, this will never happen.

NO heaven, no hell.

Raw

Raw Member
It`s been much better for me since I went on the 9.5 list to get triple time for too much O.T. and i make sure I get my 2 8hour request days a month!

Skooney

If you people hate your job so much, why do you work here? I've never seen more people in one place who collectively hate who they work for but still continue to work there.

You know why your there... The money. So appreciate it. I know I certainly appreciate what driving for UPS has given my family the opportunity to do.

If you people hate your job so much, why do you work here? I've never seen more people in one place who collectively hate who they work for but still continue to work there.

You know why your there... The money. So appreciate it. I know I certainly appreciate what driving for UPS has given my family the opportunity to do.
Because we spent our whole lives here!!!! Mr. 3 Month driver!!!! You cant changes the rules in the 3Rd quarter of the game and expect everybody to be happy. Go to the store...buy a suit and tie, then apply for a job in management!! P.S. join the TDU...Stink will give you their phone number!!!!

U

uber

I dream of a UPS someday where we ride unicorns from the guard shack to the package cars, and get into our fully decked out package car with AC and automatic heated seat massage.

Does UPS really think this style of management is sustainable? I mean yea... sure, drivers never quit. They pay us just enough to keep us from walking away from a bad day and never coming back. I know its happened but in comparison to most jobs, probably not that often. Some people think we're crazy for complaining about too many hours especially in this economy.

But I dream of a UPS where a long day is 9 hours, not 12 hours. Hell, I've only been driving for 6 years. Back then going over 10 was a big deal. In my center, I'm constantly hearing about over 11 and over 12. Maybe the next contract needs to have new language regarding OT pay. It seems to me that this is bottom on the union's list of priorities because like I said nowadays the norm is not enough hours at most jobs.

I propose this new scale.

...over 10 double time + 20 minute bonus

...over 11 triple time + 20 minute bonus

...over 12 triple time + 20 minute bonus

Then maybe they'll think twice about abusing us day after day after day with ridiculous amounts of work.
Nope. I like it like it is. It's a game and I like to play.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I dream of a UPS someday where we ride unicorns from the guard shack to the package cars, and get into our fully decked out package car with AC and automatic heated seat massage.

I just want the truck lowered, with some gold plated spinner rims and a horn that sounds like the dukes of hazard.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
i tell people all the time its a super cool job. its just they make it miserable for ya. its like a game to them,yheir miserable so they want you to be miserable too. i honestly think that they do it on purpose. i think they think since we make the money that we do do they think they should own us. just my opinion some will agree and some will disagree, everyone is entitled to their own opinion on that one. i can deal with the all the bs, the worst part for me personally is getting home so late. always between 8 and 10. by the time you get home,get showered,eat dinnerand the little things you do to prepare for work the next day its like 10pm already. itll take u 2 or 3 hours to unwind and get your personal time in(cause your day for yourself dont start til you get home) its 1 or 2 am. dat sux people with normal jobs have no clue. getting home at 5 or 6 for me is like a half day, aint that sad(it does happen once in a blue moon). lol

Skooney

Because we spent our whole lives here!!!! Mr. 3 Month driver!!!! You cant changes the rules in the 3Rd quarter of the game and expect everybody to be happy. Go to the store...buy a suit and tie, then apply for a job in management!! P.S. join the TDU...Stink will give you their phone number!!!!

Wow.

I was asking a serious question. You would just rather be a prick. I guess it's a hard reality when someone doesn't hate their job and the people they work for... Like you do. Jealousy perhaps?

And save me the TDU-3-Month driver speech. You really need new material. I've spent half my life with UPS. I've probably been there longer than you.

browniehound

Does UPS really think this style of management is sustainable? I mean yea... sure, drivers never quit. They pay us just enough to keep us from walking away from a bad day and never coming back. I know its happened but in comparison to most jobs, probably not that often. Some people think we're crazy for complaining about too many hours especially in this economy.

But I dream of a UPS where a long day is 9 hours, not 12 hours. Hell, I've only been driving for 6 years. Back then going over 10 was a big deal. In my center, I'm constantly hearing about over 11 and over 12. Maybe the next contract needs to have new language regarding OT pay. It seems to me that this is bottom on the union's list of priorities because like I said nowadays the norm is not enough hours at most jobs.

I propose this new scale.

...over 10 double time + 20 minute bonus

...over 11 triple time + 20 minute bonus

...over 12 triple time + 20 minute bonus

Then maybe they'll think twice about abusing us day after day after day with ridiculous amounts of work.

I guess where at odds here because I would work 80 hours a week if they let me. I want to work as many hours as I can while I'm still relatively young (39 right now) and relax in my mid-late 50's. I plan on being out of UPS at 59.5 pension or no pension. I'm planning to live off my 401k and that only. A pension and social security would be a bonus I am not counting on.

browniehound

I don't get the money aspect.What's wrong with an 8 1/2 hr planned day?
Forget the raises,hire more drivers.

Because its more cost effective for the company to pay 3 drivers an 11 hour day than to add another route for 8.5 hours. After 8 hours the company doesn't have to pay into the health and pension fund. I'm guessing the driver OT pay is less than straight pay + what UPS has to pay into the health and pension fund per hour. Its the only thing that makes sense to me.

Froggie

No, the nightmare has go too long.
There is little incentive to change. If for each hour you worked overtime you were cut an 1 1/2 hrs off retirement date as well as get paid 1 1/2 . Things would be different.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I know you meant well by pointing that out, but i picked 1996 because it was a good year for me. Pre strike of 97 and I remember well how thinks went. Technology was nowhere near what we have today. The whole company so much more simple. The culture was alive and well (we still got turkeys,lol) and when i though about my future I pictured a good career and a good place to work. I didnt fell as much like a number or liability like i do now. Go ahead pick this post apart too, its ok.
It is a good place to work, I think we had less accidents, and when we broke a mirror it was fixed, not a crash. Now if you run over a hose, its a crash.

Which is the flip side of being paid so much to deliver and pickup packages.
We do get a lot to sling things at 730 at night, they are all slingers.
If our job is so easy and basic. Why do all the new guys quit?Everybody wants the money, but not too many people can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Because not everyone can under the new standards.
Would never refer to the job as wonderful, but it was a better place to work for in 96. Gave up that dream years ago in regards to it ever getting better.
It was better, not a doubt in my mind, it was actually a challenge and fun. The numbers were fair.

We get paid plenty for moving boxes....but we are all underpaid for the mental B.S.
Many cannot handle the stress. It kills

Dream UPS gets better? Only gets better when auditors are around. Once they leave, back to the horrors. Better to embrace the horror and live with it. Then constantly fight it.
Yes I finally got my truck washed.

There are people that truly enjoy working for UPS and those that are miserable. Might say more about the individual than the place of employment. I think the majority fit somewhere in the middle.
Im in the middle, I like it most days, I just hate the BS. When I get a safety message that I have to answer right then, and Im in work mode.

Proposal meetings were last summer. Excess hours were not on the bottom of the priority list and have been addressed. It appears your "solution" doesn't alleviate excess hours but rather trades the issue for more pay.
Remember UPS has lots of money, but you only have so much time.
Whip me, beat me pay me OT, but I am so exhausted driving home, its miserable