Does anyone fear technology ?

Shady Tree at UPS

I am happy everyday i walk into work. I get very disgruntled by things mgmt pulls but trust me i do not lose sleep i am just suprised by websites overall opinion of "dont worry so much, just bend over and grab youre ankles and hope for the best" "maybe it will be less painful than last time and quicker".

drewed

Shankman
Its not so much gloom/doom. Most likely we will finish career and get pension, etc. Its more of Ups selling that dream (pension,etc) that i have a problem with. Make any sense?

your original post is all doom and gloom, youve tried to reverse your position so its more widely accepted which means youve felt youve lost the arguement in some way.

So welcome to the real world Crazytree, all facets of labor driven industries in the US are shrinking the most of the major unions are shrinking. Face the fact that the US is going to be a service driven industry, and in 100 years most union driven pensions will be gone.

take your pill crazytree, its quiet time.....shhh

Big Babooba

Technology? The DIAD collects everything.
If it is a problem-the DIAD could always fall into the river when I hit a bump on the highway. No more tracking! oops!
They actually have pulled one out of a river up here. After they dried it off and recharged it , it came back to life! As John Cameron Swayze used to say, "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking". (For all you youngsters out there saying,Who?, He used to pitch Timex watches back when things used to be made in America).

New Englander

I am happy everyday i walk into work. I get very disgruntled by things mgmt pulls but trust me i do not lose sleep i am just suprised by websites overall opinion of "dont worry so much, just bend over and grab youre ankles and hope for the best" "maybe it will be less painful than last time and quicker".

Perhaps most of us feel that making upwards of $70,000 a year with a pension and benefits AND not requiring a formal education. Is reason to understand UPS has every right to try and improve the company to their benefit.

Technology is here to stay. Either get on board or find a new job. Your not going to change anything in that regards.

New Englander

Perhaps most of us feel that making upwards of $70,000 a year with a pension and benefits AND not requiring a formal education. Is reason to understand UPS has every right to try and improve the company to their benefit.

Or that our job should be challenging and yes we should all have some fear of losing our job if we do something wrong.

Technology is here to stay. Either get on board or find a new job. Your not going to change anything in that regards.

Shady Tree at UPS

Its just my view... all have their own. My issue and i'll state it again is at my hub they really try to sell the golden future: Pension, sweet combo/friend/t driver job, and $28+ an hr. I hope one day i will recieve my golden egg and i just worry for the ones who get lets say 5-10 yrs in and they are paid out and pink slipped.

New Englander

Its just my view... all have their own. My issue and i'll state it again is at my hub they really try to sell the golden future: Pension, sweet combo/friend/t driver job, and $28+ an hr. I hope one day i will recieve my golden egg and i just worry for the ones who get lets say 5-10 yrs in and they are paid out and pink slipped.

Your absolutely not making any sense. It IS the golden egg for many people with no secondary education and is for some with. Why shouldn't UPS push it as so.

How are they going to be "paid out and pink slipped"? I don't understand what your saying.

kene1024

Your absolutely not making any sense. It IS the golden egg for many people with no secondary education and is for some with. Why shouldn't UPS push it as so.

How are they going to be "paid out and pink slipped"? I don't understand what your saying.

I *think* what he's trying to say is he fears that technology will advance so quickly that people hired today may not make it to retirement in 30 years, and so he feels UPS may be deceptive in telling people what a great career they can have.

I doubt we'll have robots that can drive anytime soon, so I think his fears may be unwarranted, but everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Mike Hawk

There are already robots that can drive, although they are not smart enough to compensate for today’s stupid drivers yet. Maybe some day...

Shady Tree at UPS

My theory if it happened in lets say 10 yrs for arguements sake is we will have the option of early retirement 20/25 and out or to drive air/package/shifter/feeder. Hiring freeze will result until most teamsters are phased out/retire. Then temp. work and non-union employment. Most preferred will be eliminated (irregs,sorters,high value,tape-up, etc).

paidslave

My prediction is:

Full time managers will eventually be part-time positions at 1/3 the pay!

4 hours is the morning and come back for your other 4 hours for any remaing full timers and the rest will be part time! Why does any one need to pay a full time preload manager? Even a Center Manager? This is certainly a part time job harrassing Drivers on MISSED scans. PLease!!!!!

Big money can be saved.

And why does UPS need Full time ON-Car sups these could be part time jobs! You could pay 3 part time sups for what UPS is paying ONE full timer! These jobs will be cut! Pay 3 part-time sups now you have 3 bodys and work them 6 or 7 hours a day!

Big savings!

Simple.......

I heard This one is on the drawing board.......:peaceful:

feeder53

ADKtrails
I do not fear technology, I use it to my advantage. We here where I work now have vehicles that can drive thenselves, remote control everything and computers that collect all kinds of data to fine tune those machines even farther. As the technology gets better, the job market changes and people do less. I see some technologies that could advance UPS in the package delivery field. Look at some of these remote hospitals that do operations on people with robots controled by a computer. If they had to wait for a Dr., they may have died.