Does it really make UPS money?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Been a rough three weeks here. Only two accident so far this year, but both in the last three weeks. Both tier three's.

One driver blew a stop sign. Said he looked both ways, didnt see anything so kept on scooting. Woman hit him in the side, no where to go and not enough room to stop. Kids in the car as well. All taken to hospital.

Second driver was on his way back to the center. On a two way hwy, he decided to pass a car that was going slower. Problem is, the car that was in front of that car turned left, right in front of our package car. Hospitalization for that driver. Thank God no one was killed.

The common feature on these drivers is that they are both what has been called on this site "runners and gunners". Both are "its all about me" drivers. Very similar to the driver on another post, getting the center to force other drivers to cover their pickups, and of course make service on their air, because they should not have to be bothered by breaking trace for an air.

Actually, the driver #2 accident happened at 4:30 as the driver was in a tremendous hurry to get back to the center.

So how much money do clowns like this actually make for the company. With the costs of both of the crashes, any profit earned by their behavior has vanished.

So why does UPS pat drivers like this on the back? OF course as long as they dont have crashes like these two.

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

let me get my violin out so i can play it while you cry about bonus drivers

This wasn't my interpretation. d asked a simple question--do the "runners and gunners" make the company money or do the costs they incur (accidents, claims, injuries) negate any gains the company may make?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
They probably make the company money in the long run. My Center probably has the worst safety record in the District. Most of our recent accidents seem to be caused by the "runners and gunners" who also are on our Safety Committee..........but they know how to recite the 10 point commentary!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The more realistic and insightful, cogent question to ask is do these drivers positively affect the numbers that the center management team are measured against?

Notice I did not call them clowns ... such a liberal type thing to do. If you cannot prove your point with logic and compelling arguments, you call them names. I did not think you were a liberal Danny. :wink2:

Been a rough three weeks here. Only two accident so far this year, but both in the last three weeks. Both tier three's.

One driver blew a stop sign. Said he looked both ways, didnt see anything so kept on scooting. Woman hit him in the side, no where to go and not enough room to stop. Kids in the car as well. All taken to hospital.

Second driver was on his way back to the center. On a two way hwy, he decided to pass a car that was going slower. Problem is, the car that was in front of that car turned left, right in front of our package car. Hospitalization for that driver. Thank God no one was killed.

The common feature on these drivers is that they are both what has been called on this site "runners and gunners". Both are "its all about me" drivers. Very similar to the driver on another post, getting the center to force other drivers to cover their pickups, and of course make service on their air, because they should not have to be bothered by breaking trace for an air.

Actually, the driver #2 accident happened at 4:30 as the driver was in a tremendous hurry to get back to the center.

So how much money do clowns like this actually make for the company. With the costs of both of the crashes, any profit earned by their behavior has vanished.

So why does UPS pat drivers like this on the back? OF course as long as they dont have crashes like these two.

d
Dannyboy forgive me for asking this but aren't you retired. I'm confused

over9five

Staff member
They probably make the company money in the long run. My Center probably has the worst safety record in the District. Most of our recent accidents seem to be caused by the "runners and gunners" who also are on our Safety Committee..........but they know how to recite the 10 point commentary!

Always a safety committee member that's passing me on the highway. How two-faced can you be to be on a safety committee and blow away the speed limit every day?

island1fox

There is nothing wrong with retirees--we are the elder wise men --I meant elder wise people:wink2:

In other words, the history of UPS never changes just the past happening over and over again.

Trivia Question: From what famous novel does that last comment come from ??
Hint ??--it is also the last line in the book.

Last edited:

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
This wasn't my interpretation. d asked a simple question--do the "runners and gunners" make the company money or do the costs they incur (accidents, claims, injuries) negate any gains the company may make?
no,, yours was a simple question his was loaded with innuendos

barnyard

KTM rider
This is very interesting.

Our center has gone 3+ months accident free. Last year was the 1st time in recent memory (10ish years), that our accident and injury frequencies were both below the goal. 2 weeks ago, the center manager said that if production numbers did not improve, 3 day rides were going to start.

Over the past year, we have had many of our 'good' cars replaced with non power steering crap. Our stops per car average has increased and so has our over 9.5 grievances. Our safety picture, right now, is excellent. My advice would be to back the **** off.

The breaking point is coming soon.

There are at least 4 guys saving for long term disability to have shoulders surgically repaired. 2 that are saving for knee surgery. If all 6 of us hit the tipping point at the same time, our center will be in a world of hurt.

Yet, the company says they cannot afford to replace trucks that have power steering. I do not get UPS math.

Last edited by a moderator:

Braveheart

If they are truly runners and gunners I hope they learn their lesson. They will more than likely both get fired or driven so hard they will beg to be fired or just quit. The runners generally do not care about safety and teamwork, just themselves. So I hope they get no help getting their job back. After all the runners skip lunch, work off the clock, speed, break tons of traffic laws, driver release signature stops, call pick up accounts, dump pick ups on other drivers, dump airs and other stops they do not want on other drivers all in the name of the me me me attitude. Well the union should let them sit and stew for a while. 8 drivers skip lunch and they can cut a route and lay off a driver. Shameful. You blow a stop sign and cause that kind of an accident then you deserve to be fired runner or not. You are so impatient to pass someone and not clear the way putting people in the ER then you should get fired too.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
No innuendo, just plain reciting the facts as relayed to me by one of the guys at the center who is involved in both cases. Both have serious safety problems that have been documented over the years. Stuff that would make a safe driver cringe.

As far as being retired, yes I am. But how does one just discard friendships forged over 30 years of pulling the same wagon? People who's back you have, and they yours through all sorts of crisis.

Friends are not like used underwear, but I suspect many of you would not understand that.

So, while the job might be history, the relationships are not.

Sorry some of you cant grasp that.

d

bbsam

Staff member
Just out of curiosity, has the frequency of this kind of accident gone up since routes have been cut? And even more generally has the overall accident frequency gone up in the same time period? Or does it seem to be a certain type of driver getting into accidents?

menotyou

bella amicizia
This is very interesting.

Our center has gone 3+ months accident free. Last year was the 1st time in recent memory (10ish years), that our accident and injury frequencies were both below the goal. 2 weeks ago, the center manager said that if production numbers did not improve, 3 day rides were going to start.

Over the past year, we have had many of our 'good' cars replaced with non power steering crap. Our stops per car average has increased and so has our over 9.5 grievances. Our safety picture, right now, is excellent. My advice would be to back the **** off.

The breaking point is coming soon.

There are at least 4 guys saving for long term disability to have shoulders surgically repaired. 2 that are saving for knee surgery. If all 6 of us hit the tipping point at the same time, our center will be in a world of hurt.

Yet, the company says they cannot afford to replace trucks that have power steering. I do not get UPS math.

Find a couple of broken frames and you will have a whole new fleet of Automatic clean diesels!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

wow,, i bet if you ask nice he will send you a autographed picture

Unlike the other retiree, danny adds to the discussion. Yes, he can be condescending at times, but I know that I have learned a lot about how labor issues are really handled, the side deals that are made and the harm that locker room lawyers can cause. I would have been proud to have called danny a co-worker--I cannot say the same for the other retiree.