Does it really make UPS money?

QKRSTKR

Both these drivers will surely loose their jobs and most likely will not get them back till panel hearing. Both are bad accidents. If UPS has documented against these guys well enough, they may loose at panel. UPS isn't afraid of cutting guys like these loose. Makes me cringe though. Could be anyone anyday in this position. Runner or not. We all make mistakes. The stop sign one sounds strange though. Did he stop and just not see car coming? Blind spots in PC with doors closed suck. Blew a stop sign makes it sound as if he did just that, drive on thru without stopping.

Strange but we USE to have a guy like this around. Thought for somereason his hours were 9 to 4. UPS got him eventually. He bacame more harm and a burden than good.

barnyard

KTM rider
Find a couple of broken frames and you will have a whole new fleet of Automatic clean diesels!!

All of the 4.3 V6's that replaced the Fords are on the DNR list. They will all go to the crusher at some point this year. I am pretty darn sure there is a whole parking lot of POS to replace them.

No innuendo, just plain reciting the facts as relayed to me by one of the guys at the center who is involved in both cases. Both have serious safety problems that have been documented over the years. Stuff that would make a safe driver cringe.

As far as being retired, yes I am. But how does one just discard friendships forged over 30 years of pulling the same wagon? People who's back you have, and they yours through all sorts of crisis.

Friends are not like used underwear, but I suspect many of you would not understand that.

So, while the job might be history, the relationships are not.

Sorry some of you cant grasp that.

d
Once again no disrespect Danny I was just confused and thought you were still an active driver.

Ps
I've got a long list of retiree's on my go to list for advice with ups problems as a steward and they are also friends that I like to check on.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dearest 9.5

I think this "guy" is doing a dis-service to the company by discussing accident specifics with a non-UPSer.
Wow, your powers of moderation have gone to the head, me thinketh.

Next I would suspect you would deny me the access to local papers, which of course print details of accidents, including the names of the drivers. The only information offered by the driver was the safety picture at UPS was flawless this year until these two crashes. I dont guess I could have accessed that information by any other means?

As a side note, I actually have kept in touch with corp safety. When you dont burn bridges, the relationships can be helpful. In my case, setting up a safety program for the bus ministry at the church. IT would seem that nationwide, there is nothing in place. And they have been very helpful, "off the clock"

So while I dont really know what to make of your comment, I must admit, I am surprised.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Cach

I believe that he thinks that retirees should not have an opinion, or any rights to knowledge of the internal workings at UPS. I happen to disagree. A large portion of my retirement is directly tied to the well being of UPS in the market place. So I very much do have a dog in the race.

d

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This is very interesting.

Our center has gone 3+ months accident free. Last year was the 1st time in recent memory (10ish years), that our accident and injury frequencies were both below the goal. 2 weeks ago, the center manager said that if production numbers did not improve, 3 day rides were going to start.

Over the past year, we have had many of our 'good' cars replaced with non power steering crap. Our stops per car average has increased and so has our over 9.5 grievances. Our safety picture, right now, is excellent. My advice would be to back the **** off.

The breaking point is coming soon.

There are at least 4 guys saving for long term disability to have shoulders surgically repaired. 2 that are saving for knee surgery. If all 6 of us hit the tipping point at the same time, our center will be in a world of hurt.

Yet, the company says they cannot afford to replace trucks that have power steering. I do not get UPS math.

I think the original goal behind intentionally deleting power steering from the older cars was to force higher-seniority drivers to retire earlier.

Once a 25 year veteran is no longer physically able to fight the equipment, he can be replaced with a new hire who makes $10 an hour less and only gets 2 weeks vacation per year instead of 6 or 7.

I have no doubt that some soulless bastard in a room with no air in it probably sat down and calculated it all down to the last cent on a spreadsheet.

barnyard

KTM rider
I think the original goal behind intentionally deleting power steering from the older cars was to force higher-seniority drivers to retire earlier.

Except the high seniority guys are not the ones with the old worn out cars. They have seniority, so they get the newest ones. I lost my Ford to a higher seniority driver. She promptly burned up the clutch and it was crushed a couple of months later. According to my supe and the mechanics, we are not on any list to get new trucks, just that our current GMs are all set to be crushed. Obviously once crushed, they will have to be replaced, my suspicion is that they will not be replaced with new trucks, but more wore out GMs.

I hope I am wrong.....

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Except the high seniority guys are not the ones with the old worn out cars. They have seniority, so they get the newest ones. I lost my Ford to a higher seniority driver. She promptly burned up the clutch and it was crushed a couple of months later. According to my supe and the mechanics, we are not on any list to get new trucks, just that our current GMs are all set to be crushed. Obviously once crushed, they will have to be replaced, my suspicion is that they will not be replaced with new trucks, but more wore out GMs.

I hope I am wrong.....
nope,, your right,, in my center the top 5 get the creme of the crop cars,, newest automatics,, and you know what,, im glad for it,, Let yrs of experience dictate awards

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Unfortunately, there are some of us that have had to file grievances to be able to get even a package car that is lower to the ground. There were only 2 of the old 1000's in our building, and I had one of them. I believe that the center manager directed that be the case. I ended up having to file several greivances to be able to get in a newer vehicle, because of the problems with my knees. Number one in seniority, but stuck with the worst truck in the center.

d

over9five

Staff member
Dearest 9.5

Wow, your powers of moderation have gone to the head, me thinketh.

Next I would suspect you would deny me the access to local papers, which of course print details of accidents, including the names of the drivers. The only information offered by the driver was the safety picture at UPS was flawless this year until these two crashes. I dont guess I could have accessed that information by any other means?

As a side note, I actually have kept in touch with corp safety. When you dont burn bridges, the relationships can be helpful. In my case, setting up a safety program for the bus ministry at the church. IT would seem that nationwide, there is nothing in place. And they have been very helpful, "off the clock"

So while I dont really know what to make of your comment, I must admit, I am surprised.

d

Hmmm, I don't remember moderating you...

You never mentioned a newspaper (by all means, post a link!). You mentioned a "guy" at the center.

If I were a Teamster driver in that center and some "guy" was telling information to a non-UPSer who then posted it all over the internet.... well, I would be pretty pissed off.

I don't care that you posted it, hell I would have too. But the "guy" needs to be talked to. I had assumed it was the shop steward. He would need to be told to focus more on confidentiality and less on gossiping.
If instead it was a management member of Corp Safety, that person needs to be fired.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Why, did I post names? The paper did. I did not. Names would not have added anything to the discussion. So their privacy was not endangered.

There is a difference between a non Upser and one that is retired. But I dont expect you would notice that.

So where is the beef with the post, except the ax to grind?

d

over9five

Staff member
Why, did I post names? The paper did. I did not. Names would not have added anything to the discussion. So their privacy was not endangered.

There is a difference between a non Upser and one that is retired. But I dont expect you would notice that.

So where is the beef with the post, except the ax to grind?

d

I'm sorry, I thought I was clear.
I have no beef with the post, only with the "guy" talking too much. Do you not agree that the "guy" shouldn't be discussing this with you?