Does July 4th holiday count as paid day for benefits

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
What someone decides to do is their own business. b104a did what he thought was right and I salute him for it. As much as I enjoy posting here, sometimes the criticisms of what others choose drive me crazy. If it doesn't harm me, it's none of my business.

DorkHead

I fully understand why you did what you did. I have 2 kids and would do anything in the world for them.

I don't know that I would work through 5 weeks of vacation just so that my son could party in the Bahamas before going to Paris Island.

So I guess this means that you really would not do anything for them??

By The Book

We, at our center are not allowed to cash out our regular weeks vacation. We can cash out our 2 option weeks and work for extra money that way. If I was to throw this party for my son in the military I would use my option weeks vacation checks for this. I think my son or daughter would be thankful.

bl04a

When we bid our weeks in January our local supplement was not yet ratified so I had to use regular vacation weeks. In our local this us the first time that we have ever been able to set aside vacation weeks as optionally, and we can only set aside 1 week at that. We didn't know how long it was going to take to get the supplement passed so regular vacation weeks made more sense for me.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brown Spider

Anything means something like lending them a few bucks to tide them over to payday or helping them relocate halfway across the country.

Anything does not mean giving them $4K to party in the Bahamas for a week.

Anything means Anything! I'm gonna' guess here that if b104a's son needs a kidney, his father is going to do whatever it takes. On the other hand, if Dave's son needs a kidney, he might be able to borrow a few bucks to tide himself over until he finds a donor.

note to Dave's son: Contact Uncle b104a fast!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Anything means Anything! I'm gonna' guess here that if b104a's son needs a kidney, his father is going to do whatever it takes. On the other hand, if Dave's son needs a kidney, he might be able to borrow a few bucks to tide himself over until he finds a donor.

note to Dave's son: Contact Uncle b104a fast!

Call me what you will but there is no way in hell I am going to work through 5 weeks of my vacation just so that my son can go party in the Bahamas for a week!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Call me what you will but there is no way in hell I am going to work through 5 weeks of my vacation just so that my son can go party in the Bahamas for a week!

But, you will work scheduled vacation days to pay for a slider to your deck.

Priorities, I guess.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I commend the op I would do same for my kid. I would do everything and anything for my kid. No vacation for 1 year vs giving your kid the a one in a lifetime opportunity that almost no one else could have to show him how proud u are of him vs working your vaca. No question best decision this guy ever made in his life. His kid in time will also realize what his dad did for him giving up those vaca weeks and will allways know how important he is to his dad and how much he means to him. Much respect to op and his son. Can't thank your son enough Your a great dad.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

But, you will work scheduled vacation days to pay for a slider to your deck.

Priorities, I guess.

New sliding doors for my deck is something that will add to the value of my home.

My son has been hired for a job which starts 9/2; unfortunately, he has been unable to find a part time job to tide him over until then and as a college student does not have a lot of money, so I gave him his Christmas present ($500) early and fill up his car for him whenever he comes home.

He is talking about taking the month of August and spending time traveling with friends before he starts work. I told him to have fun but that this trip would be entirely on his dime.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I commend the op I would do same for my kid. I would do everything and anything for my kid. No vacation for 1 year vs giving your kid the a one in a lifetime opportunity that almost no one else could have to show him how proud u are of him vs working your vaca. No question best decision this guy ever made in his life. His kid in time will also realize what his dad did for him giving up those vaca weeks and will allways know how important he is to his dad and how much he means to him. Much respect to op and his son. Can't thank your son enough Your a great dad.

Suppose you were the kid in question. Would you rather have the one week party or that money put toward something more tangible, such as a deposit on a new or decent used car?

Quigley

Its always amazed me how some people are so vested in other peoples lives. I have a friend at work who cant understand why I would spend any money on Harley bikes, yet he will walk into a sporting good store and spend a $1,000 on fishing gear. Someone will tell me I cant smoke a joint, its bad for you, and then that same person will go home and suck down a fifth of whiskey. If people would just mind their own business and spend more time looking at their own lives, instead of trying to dictate what other people should do, this world would be a much better place.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In no way I am trying to dictate what the OP does with his money or how he lives his life.

I am simply saying that I personally think he made a foolish decision and that a one week party in the Bahamas is a waste of money.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I do lots of things to add value to my house.

I also do whatever I can to add value to my relationships with my sons.

To each, his own.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I also do whatever I can to add value to my relationships with my sons.

Is your son going to love you more if you give him money in a time of need or if you splurge on a vacation?

My daughter was fortunate to be part of a group (Sound of America) that toured Europe for a month. Her Mom and I sat her down and told her that we would each pay 1/3 of the cost of the trip and that she would be responsible to raise the funds to pay her 1/3. She raised enough to not only pay her share but to have spending money for the trip. Could I or her Mom have paid for the whole trip as a gift? Yes but we both felt that this was a great opportunity to teach her the value of money. She had a ball and still plays the CD from that tour.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Is your son going to love you more if you give him money in a time of need or if you splurge on a vacation?

My daughter was fortunate to be part of a group (Sound of America) that toured Europe for a month. Her Mom and I sat her down and told her that we would each pay 1/3 of the cost of the trip and that she would be responsible to raise the funds to pay her 1/3. She raised enough to not only pay her share but to have spending money for the trip. Could I or her Mom have paid for the whole trip as a gift? Yes but we both felt that this was a great opportunity to teach her the value of money. She had a ball and still plays the CD from that tour.

My son's are both financially secure enough that I don't have to give them money.

I also am right there if either needs help with anything.

In the real world, help is not always all about the money.