Does the Creator Care?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Untrue. The Gospels which make-up the Bible were all written by unknown people starting at a minimum of a hundred years after the SUPPOSE life of Jesus. They all greatly contradict one another. Two well known historians from the SUPPOSE time of Jesus never even mentioned him, and they were around during his SUPPOSE time. The Romans which were impeccable record keepers, don't even mention him. Both Historians and Theologians agree that they can not confirm whether or not a man named Jesus even existed then. They think there might've been, but there's no actual history to verify it. The Bible is a bunch of stories that coincidentally mimic the story of Horus which predates Christ by almost 1700 years. Any book that contains over 55,000 direct contradictions can't be called an "interpretation of history". I call it what it is. A book written during the Iron Age by ignorant people that explained away the unknown by creating God(s). Every culture has done it. :)

Awesome post, well said.

For anyone to believe that some 2000 years ago, an ignorant society of people wrote a "tell all" book to guide humanity over the life of the planet is laughable.

People want to deny science, science is always discounted by the religious sects of this world. If science were proven true, then the stories of "acts of god" would be a joke. ( which I happen to believe they are )

Lets hear some Christmas stories from Ms Betty Bowers..
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=DEA4C20168F6316C1E07DEA4C20168F6316C1E07

dont forget, SANTA spelled differently spells

SATAN:devil3:

TOS.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
There you go again ... California was not around 2000 years ago.

Yeah HOAX, the earth is less than 2000 years old. I have an OAK tree on my route that is older than that. Protected by the state of california. Its been a wonder seeing that tree everyday for 24 years knowing its been around longer than anything living on this planet.

Next thing you'll say is that dinosaurs didnt exist.

TOS

wkmac

If this were baseball, the announcer would say:

SSSWWWWWIIIIIINNNNGGGGG and a miss!

Hoax toes the rubber............

This thread is good for the laughs but otherwise pretty sad. If you'd like to learn a bit about the bible itself, beyond taking the time to actually read it which you should before making statements either way about it, you might consider Professor Christine Haynes 24 lecture series on the Old Testament. Dr. Haynes, Robert friend. and Patricia Ross Weis Professor of Religious Studies at Yale University as well as Chair of the Religious Studies Department, made her course on Old Testament open source and the entire 24 lectures are on YouTube and well worth the view IMO.

If over 20 hours of lecture is to much, likely I'm sure, then maybe 3 hours is a bit more manageable. Dr. Francesca Stavrakopoulou, Professor of Hebrew Bible and Ancient Religion, University of Exeter in England did a 3 part series for the BBC entitled Bibles Buried Secrets which is also excellent, especially on the question of history and archeology.

You can also search YouTube for former Pentecostal preacher and now Professor of Religious Studies at Iowa State Hector Avalos on his talk, "How Archeology Killed Biblical History." Or theologian Dr. Robert M. Price who holds Phd's in Systematic Theology and New Testament as well as being a former baptist preacher. Dr. Price was also one of the 150 fellows who made up the research known as the Jesus Seminar. A YouTube search will reveal a lot of his talks. I posted a radio interview with Dr. Price in another thread but for whatever reason that entire thread got deleted.

And to GingerKat, disagree that the bible is a terrible read. Once you understand how it was written and the back story, it's actually a very interesting read. Google the "Documentary Hypothesis" sometimes called the Wellhausen Hypothesis and go from there. As Professor Hayes points out, when you understand the bible, Old Testament in her case, as not a book but as a library, then it starts to open up more and more and you'll go well beyond the bible if you dare follow that course.

Personally I think the Dead Sea Scrolls and Nag Hammadi blow the lid off what we think we know about the bible and of which we get our narrative of the times of Jesus. Beyond scholarship it's little known and best kept that way if maintaining the status quo is the goal.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yeah HOAX, the earth is less than 2000 years old. I have an OAK tree on my route that is older than that. Protected by the state of california. Its been a wonder seeing that tree everyday for 24 years knowing its been around longer than anything living on this planet.

Next thing you'll say is that dinosaurs didnt exist.

TOS
I don't know anyone who thinks the Earth is less than 2000 years old.
I certainly believe that dinosaurs lived and that was over 100 million years ago until right now (birds).
Crocs been around longer than that.

As an aside, there a a spruce in Norway whose root system is estimated at 9500 years old and in Utah, a clonal Aspen grove that dates back some 90,000 years and may be older. Cool stuff.

gingerkat

If this were baseball, the announcer would say:

And to GingerKat, disagree that the bible is a terrible read. Once you understand how it was written and the back story, it's actually a very interesting read. Google the "Documentary Hypothesis" sometimes called the Wellhausen Hypothesis and go from there. As Professor Hayes points out, when you understand the bible, Old Testament in her case, as not a book but as a library, then it starts to open up more and more and you'll go well beyond the bible if you dare follow that course.

Personally I think the Dead Sea Scrolls and Nag Hammadi blow the lid off what we think we know about the bible and of which we get our narrative of the times of Jesus. Beyond scholarship it's little known and best kept that way if maintaining the status quo is the goal.
Well for me it's a terrible read. I'm not interested in it, nor will I probably ever pick one up with the intent to read. Maybe because I spent too many years in parochial school and it was forced on me? But again, nothing wrong with those that believe in what the bible speaks.

bbsam

Staff member
Euclidean geometry dates back even further than the New Testament so I :angel:find it hard to understand why some think that those who authored the Bible were so ignorant to the ways of science. Even the classical story of God's creation follows roughly the order set forth by evolution so there you go.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Keep in mind that there are millions that think/thought Omamacare would be implemented without any costs to the taxpayers.

I think I would believe a toaster was God before believing that.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Yet, another thread started by I

Who asks an open ended question.... or makes a statement....

Never to return.... until the next one.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Every word written is done so to control the reader. Believe whatever you want. None of it really matters in this world full of parasites.

Have a good day! Oh, and War friend'ing Eagle!!!!!!!

island1fox

Life after brown is what I would suggest
Now, you could steer this into Current Events with the above post and articles theorizing or speculating genealogy. But I don't believe the OP intended for that. ;)

SMH,

That would insinuate that you are in fact a believer in life after death.:happy-very:

island1fox

In post 51 TOS speaks of Republican lies and people believing them.

Could he be referring to you can keep your own Doctor--if you like:happy-very: your health plan --you can keep your health plan etc etc.???