Does The DIAD Have GPS Capability?

SmithBarney

GPS on either device, I say so what, do your job, and you shouldn't have anything to
worry about. Hey if your gonna cheat miles during lunch take the battery off the
powerpad(can't do this with the DIAD).. I took a 3 hour lunch today, took the
powerpad home in my personal car, gee I hope they didn't track me.. :)
See they'd have to prove you weren't in your car, if thats the issue at hand.

browniehound

Why is this a bad thing??? The intent is to use this information to dispatch an OCA to a driver that is going to be in that area.

It may be an adjacent driver, the driver that will be near there to make a pickup, etc.

They will be able to see where each driver is at currently, as well as the stops they have left to deliver and pickup. It seems logical that better dispatching decisions for OCA could be made??

Of course, some fool can use this information and make a bad decision, but that doesn't make the concept bad.

P-Man

P-man, this is why its a bad idea. The dispacth team already knows which OCA's go with each driver. Allowing them to look at a map and choose the closest driver is just going to cause mass confusion, headaches, and the wrong driver getting the wrong OCA at least 50% of the time.

The simplest example I can give is this. An OCA comes in at 1200 for 15 Main st. Driver A delivered 15 Main st. at 11 am and proceeded off area(might be sent to him first). Driver B is doing house calls at 1200 and is the closest driver to the OCA when it comes in. Driver C is on the other side of town, yet makes a daily pickup at 15 Main st at 430.

Under our new rules, driver B would be given the OCA and told to break from his house calls because he is the closest driver at the time. But it would be better for our business to let driver C take the OCA while making his pickups later that day at the same address.

If UPS moves away from this concept then I will lose all respect for them as a great business and advise everyone I know to sell all their UPS stock.

H

Hanson Brother

Hey Fredly thats not a three hour lunch. That is called a split shift. Fedsux is notorious for that. I would rather be working those extra two hours or be home earlier that night. Messing with the powerpad will make you exfedex.

pretzel_man

P-man, this is why its a bad idea. The dispacth team already knows which OCA's go with each driver. Allowing them to look at a map and choose the closest driver is just going to cause mass confusion, headaches, and the wrong driver getting the wrong OCA at least 50% of the time.

The simplest example I can give is this. An OCA comes in at 1200 for 15 Main st. Driver A delivered 15 Main st. at 11 am and proceeded off area(might be sent to him first). Driver B is doing house calls at 1200 and is the closest driver to the OCA when it comes in. Driver C is on the other side of town, yet makes a daily pickup at 15 Main st at 430.

Under our new rules, driver B would be given the OCA and told to break from his house calls because he is the closest driver at the time. But it would be better for our business to let driver C take the OCA while making his pickups later that day at the same address.

If UPS moves away from this concept then I will lose all respect for them as a great business and advise everyone I know to sell all their UPS stock.

Brownie:

I agree with you in most cases. Driver C should get the pickup because he has to service the area later for pickups.

There are cases where the OCA pickup has to be made earlier, and driver B is the best choice.

In any case, it seems to me that supplying this information to the OMS is a good thing.

I've had a chance to see some of this information working in a center, and I think its pretty cool.

P-Man

SmithBarney

Hey Fredly thats not a three hour lunch. That is called a split shift. Fedsux is notorious for that. I would rather be working those extra two hours or be home earlier that night. Messing with the powerpad will make you exfedex.

I'm aware of what it is... a SS is a rarity so I'll take it and the time with my wife at home
is a nice change from time to time. I wasn't suggesting I mess with the PPAD, but suggested if someone needed to removing the battery would work. Like I said do your job at either company and GPS becomes a mute point.

Trpl:

I'm not sure I understand your point. Today, an OMS has to dispatch the OCA without any information on where you are currently or what deliveries are remaining on your car.

At best, they look at the area you cover and give the OCA to the appropriate driver.

Well, I don't know what to tell you to make my point any clearer. The OMS sends OCA to people based on who's area that stop is located, if there is an expected problem with completing the OCA, the driver then notifies the OMS of the problem. Sounds pretty simple on the surface.
Possible scenario with the OMS W/ GPS:
me. "I can't get that pickup, sorry."
OMS. "why not, you are only three blocks away."
me. " I have just enough time to make the rest of my time commit stops and by the time I get them done, I'll be 30 blocks away going the opposite direction.
OMS. "I'm instructing you to make the pickup, just do it."
me. "fine" ...fade out..30 minutes go by, pickup of one Dish network ARS picked up....fade in...
me. missed 3 packages @ 123 goodluck ave. Couldn't get there in time.

see my point?

With EDD, the center can know the deliveries on your car. DIAD tells them which ones are complete, and which ones are remaining. It also tells them your GPS location.

I wasn't aware that they would have access to stops complete and stops remaining. This will save me time in reporting to them how many stops I have done and how many left if I have to call for help. In fact I shouldn't have to call for help, they'll be able to see I need the help and automativly send some one to the rescue.:dissapointed:

I know you're going to say that EDD is not perfect and that it doesn't know the special circumstances of your route.

And that's NOT a valid point???

I also know that a poor OMS will make a poor decision.
Even a good OMS can make poor decisions. Just not as many, hopefully.

However, why would we not want to take the first step? Maybe one day the computer can automatically make the decision? Maybe DIAD will help you make better decisions on road to reduce miles?

The computer is only going to make decisions that it is programmed to make. The wonderful thing about DIAD and EDD is that I can sort through my stops without opening the bulk head door. I already use EDD to pick out what stops need to be made earlier in the day and which ones can be held for later. Just yesterday I use the info to save the company about 40 miles, but heck I've been doing that since we were on paper.

Maybe DIAD will be linked to the customers one day.
In what way and for goodness sake, WHY? I can see many problems with this idea.

Again, seems like UPS is taking the first step.
Toward what? Total domination of the world?

P-Man

browniehound

Brownie:

I agree with you in most cases. Driver C should get the pickup because he has to service the area later for pickups.

There are cases where the OCA pickup has to be made earlier, and driver B is the best choice.

In any case, it seems to me that supplying this information to the OMS is a good thing.

I've had a chance to see some of this information working in a center, and I think its pretty cool.

P-Man

P-man,
I totally agree with you. If the OCA needs to picked up earlier than it should go to driver B.

It was my understanding though that the dispatcher was completely taken out of the equation and was forced to dispatch the OCA to the closest driver at the time.

Correct me if I'm wrong. The closest driver is not always the best choice. We need the human element involved here. Just because a driver is closer on a map dosen't mean he(or she) is the most efficient choice.

Excluding another driver servicing the area later in the day, other factors come into play. Things like major rivers (yeah, Smith is only 1/4 of a mile from the OCA, but the closest bridge to cross the river is 1 mile away), interstates, and other things would require another drive to make the pick-up.

GPS can be a good tool for UPS if they use it wisely. From what I read to this date, they are already screwing it up!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Please cancel this thread that I started because TieGuy and a few others don't want FedEx people on this site. Never mind that hourlies have many similar issues (like this one with the DIAD) that start some very interesting discussions. Apparently, nobody but a Brown person can post here without getting flamed into oblivion. So, since I had this idea for a discussion, please withdraw it and meditate on the wisdom of being pure Brown.

DS

Fenderbender
Please cancel this thread that I started because TieGuy and a few others don't want FedEx people on this site. Never mind that hourlies have many similar issues (like this one with the DIAD) that start some very interesting discussions. Apparently, nobody but a Brown person can post here without getting flamed into oblivion. So, since I had this idea for a discussion, please withdraw it and meditate on the wisdom of being pure Brown.
What are you on about?Not one person flamed you,unless it was through private messages.It was a valid question,and the responses were honest opinions to your query.TieGuy didn't even comment in this thread.If someone is flaming you report it to the administrator.

Ya know MrFed, when the flame war a while back erupted I came in, in your defense for having the right to be here. I still believe you have the right to be here without the constant fear of being flamed. However no one on this thread has flamed you, yet you are playing the "poor poor pitiful me " card. Why? Is this an attempt to lure in hateful comments directed toward you? FYI, that's what is called flaming and is nothing other than a precursor to flame filled responses. Give it rest fella.

BTW, the thread is interesting, with some very good thoughts.

pretzel_man

P-man,
I totally agree with you. If the OCA needs to picked up earlier than it should go to driver B.

It was my understanding though that the dispatcher was completely taken out of the equation and was forced to dispatch the OCA to the closest driver at the time.

Correct me if I'm wrong. The closest driver is not always the best choice. We need the human element involved here. Just because a driver is closer on a map dosen't mean he(or she) is the most efficient choice.

Excluding another driver servicing the area later in the day, other factors come into play. Things like major rivers (yeah, Smith is only 1/4 of a mile from the OCA, but the closest bridge to cross the river is 1 mile away), interstates, and other things would require another drive to make the pick-up.

GPS can be a good tool for UPS if they use it wisely. From what I read to this date, they are already screwing it up!

Brownie:

I think we agree on what the correct decision should be.

I also agree that if the dispatch were told to always deliver it to the one who is closest, that is a bad direction. It should be the driver who is going to be closest within the time commitment.

Also, please note that UPS has not deployed this stuff yet, so to say they are already screwing it up is not true (yet).

GPS is another tool in the toolkit. I'm glad corporate is not ignoring this technology. It will be up to the local management team to use it correctly.

P-Man

pretzel_man

Trpl:

I think you and I come from different perspectives. You seem to believe that drivers are already as effective as possible, and I believe that there is room for improvement.

I'm not talking about working faster or cutting corners.

You accurately described many of the factors that make the delivery job complex. I agree with you. Its a complex job and you have to always keep service the top concern.

The number of decisions you have to make is staggering and you do it very well. However, I've looked at too many routes and the decisions that have been made on road and see where technology could help.

Will a computer be programmed to account for all situations? Of course not. However, why couldn't it aid you in making better on road decisions?

Again, I understand that you think you already make perfect decisions, and I think it can be improved. That's why I mentioned that we come from two different perspectives.

I'll let you respond and give you the last word on this topic.

P-Man

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ya know MrFed, when the flame war a while back erupted I came in, in your defense for having the right to be here. I still believe you have the right to be here without the constant fear of being flamed. However no one on this thread has flamed you, yet you are playing the "poor poor pitiful me " card. Why? Is this an attempt to lure in hateful comments directed toward you? FYI, that's what is called flaming and is nothing other than a precursor to flame filled responses. Give it rest fella.

Not this particular thread, but a general trend when I post on the UPS Discussions. The DIAD discussion has been great and everyone has been very respectful. I should have been more specific. Some of my other threads have been completely flamed for no reason. No pity party intended, but a couple individuals have been unneccessarily rude on other topics, and I'm surprised they haven't been here too.

BTW, the thread is interesting, with some very good thoughts.

Not this thread, which has been great so far. I'm talking about some other threads which have been mercilessly flamed, and almost always by the same people. No pity party desired or intended. I'm just surprised that the DIAD topic hasn't been attacked as well.

upsisermd

I though the same thing as Bigbrownsanta. The driver closest at that time will be dispatched for the OCA even though another driver will be picking up in that same building later!!

The latest version of ODS called ODSe will show you on a map the location of all completed and pending stops, the drivers last known location, and the location of all unassigned ODS orders. Using the map it is really easy to determine if the ODS order is located near or at a pending stop so that order can be dispatched to the correct driver. Most of the information used for plotting the completed stops and drivers last known position is based on the GPS in the DIAD. It will also plot on the map the location of all breaks and lunch.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The latest version of ODS called ODSe will show you on a map the location of all completed and pending stops, the drivers last known location, and the location of all unassigned ODS orders. Using the map it is really easy to determine if the ODS order is located near or at a pending stop so that order can be dispatched to the correct driver. Most of the information used for plotting the completed stops and drivers last known position is based on the GPS in the DIAD. It will also plot on the map the location of all breaks and lunch.

And that, my friends, is scary.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If this is the same GPS that goes off when your at the correct stop but lets you mis-deliver to the wrong stop without a warning, we are in trouble. Too much of our technology works some of the time and makes time killing mistakes too often.