Does the guaranteed 3.5 Hrs apply to new hires?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
That's my story, the question is am I guaranteed 3.5 hrs. of work? I am a new hire, haven't hit seniority yet (I'm at day 11).

No.

If you are talking about probationary employees having every right under the contract as anyone else, for example, his daily guarantee for showing up to work, it is in the Southern Region Supplement. It says that a new employee shall work under the provisions of this Agreement...This means that he/she is covered by all language in this agreement.

That's a nice thought.... but, it's wrong.

The only contractual "entitlement" a probationary employee has, is the starting rate of pay.

Until they attain seniority, they are not a member of the Union.

That's why the language says.... they have no recourse if they are not retained.

Once they attain seniority, all the contractual provisions are available.

Including the grievance procedure.

The quickest way for a new hire to get walked out the door....

Would be start complaining, about contract language they aren't entitled to yet.

On the plus side....

Any time worked (even if it's 10 minutes) would count as a "day" worked, towards his 30.

-Bug-

annie345

If you are talking about probationary employees having every right under the contract as anyone else, for example, his daily guarantee for showing up to work, it is in the Southern Region Supplement. It says that a new employee shall work under the provisions of this Agreement...This means that he/she is covered by all language in this agreement.

SOUTHERN REGION OF TEAMSTERS

AND

UNITED PARCEL SERVICE, INC.

SUPPLEMENTAL AGREEMENT

ARTICLE 46 – ACQUISITION OF SENIORITY

SECTION 1 – PROBATIONARY PERIOD

A new employee shall work under the provisions of this Agreement

but shall be employed only on a thirty (30) working day trial basis,

during which period the employee may be discharged without further

recourse, provided however, that the Employer may not discharge

or discipline for the purpose of evading this Agreement or

discriminating against Union members. On the thirty-first (31st)

working day within one hundred and twenty (120) consecutive day

period, the employee shall be placed on the regular seniority list and

the employee’s seniority date shall be the first day worked within

the one hundred and twenty (120) day period.
I get it says that.. but the remedies for a violation of that part of the contract is a pay claim.. You can't file a grievance unless you're a seniority employee..