Does this mean anything?

viper133

The job application i applied to at first said Package Handler. I had an interview with someone at UPS yesterday, but today it changed to PRELOADER in all caps.

Im still waiting for the call back. The center is located in Connecticut by the way.

How long will you know if you are getting the job?

Thanks

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Package handler is a general description of the job online , or in paper.. A pre loader goes to work around 330/4oo am and loads the Brown trucks. You can be assigned to the pre load,but unload trailers (starting point for new hires) then move up to sorting PKGS,then move on to actually loading the trucks.Your day will end around 730 // 800 am.. after they do background check you should know soon..what biulding in CT did you apply to ??? Good luck and hope this helped !! WELCOME TO THE B.C !!!

viper133

:dissapointed: Oh, i was getting excited for the moment. The center is in Norwalk. Oh well, there were 7 bigger guys there so i dont think i'll have a chance.

UPSGUY72

:dissapointed: Oh, i was getting excited for the moment. The center is in Norwalk. Oh well, there were 7 bigger guys there so i dont think i'll have a chance.

You have just as good as chance as the other 7 guys. Size doesn't matter to UPS. If you don't get hired this time apply again I had to apply twice before I got hired.

Covemastah

were you to short the first time ? LOL LOL just kidding !! Your right,size doesn't matter ,at least at UPS !!!

Covemastah

UPSGUY72
"Life's tough, but it is tougher when you are stupid" John Wayne

love that quote by the DUKE !! He rocks !!

viper133

Update! I was called today asking me to go to the orientation, but the manager said only a handful will be selected tomorrow. What a bummer, i thought once you have another call, you had a 99% chance in landing the job. Btw, should i still wear business clothing? i wore that during the tour and it dont seem like i've impressed anyone.

UPSGUY72

Update! I was called today asking me to go to the orientation, but the manager said only a handful will be selected tomorrow. What a bummer, i thought once you have another call, you had a 99% chance in landing the job. Btw, should i still wear business clothing? i wore that during the tour and it dont seem like i've impressed anyone.

Make sure you show up on time I would advise you to show up atleast 5 min early.

You don't have to dress up your not getting a office job. But than again don't dress like a bum. I would where a pair of jeans and a short sleeve shirt. They are going to show you what you are going to be doing if they hire you. They also will probably have you fill out some more paper work also. There will only be a handful of people there so don't worry about just don't be late.

viper133

Second update! i got hired as a preloader, but that was just because the regular manager went on vacation and another person did not showed up, therefore i was interviewed by the supervisor and both he and the assistant manager made a little decision. Basically today, i had a small lecture on hazmat stuff and will have another lecture tomorrow and then finally start work Thursday. Just to make sure, i heard it was a paid orientation? is that correct?

Anyways i hope to get good at the job so that i can be promoted to full time.

thanks for all your guidance.

UPSGUY72

Second update! i got hired as a preloader, but that was just because the regular manager went on vacation and another person did not showed up, therefore i was interviewed by the supervisor and both he and the assistant manager made a little decision. Basically today, i had a small lecture on hazmat stuff and will have another lecture tomorrow and then finally start work Thursday. Just to make sure, i heard it was a paid orientation? is that correct?

Anyways i hope to get good at the job so that i can be promoted to full time.

thanks for all your guidance.

Congratulations

Yes orientation is paid.

Now you just need to make your 30 day probation period. Just remember a couple of things and you shouldn't have a problem.

1. Show up to work everyday a little early weather your sick or not just show up. After you make you 30 days feel free to call in 1 hour before your shift start if you need to.
2. Stay out of other people business just do your job. You will see other people fooling around and goofing off or just working slow. I wouldn't advise you to do this untill after you complete your 30 day probation period.
3. Don't get hurt work smart and safe.

You are most likely going to start unloading trailers in the primary area. That is where 90% of the people start.

Good luck

Welcome to UPS

Ask for a copy of the contract and make sure they give you one then read it. Especially the local supplement section. althought they might not give you one till after your 30 days

viper133

Thank you upsguy72, i will keep that in mind and will update again after 30 days. I forgot to say earlier that i received a booklet with 30 days worth of objectives and checklists, that seems like a stressful 30 days probation!

UPSGUY72

Thank you upsguy72, i will keep that in mind and will update again after 30 days. I forgot to say earlier that i received a booklet with 30 days worth of objectives and checklists, that seems like a stressful 30 days probation!

It's only as stressful as you make it. Don't worry it isn't as hard as they make it seem.

Cementups

Box Monkey
If you wre in the building taking instruction, yes you will get paid.

Being good at the job does not get you promoted to full time, seniority does.